Jazz - Dash 8 bond

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jazz - Dash 8 bond

Post by digits_ »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 pm
Jet Stream wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am Come on guys.

$500
Correct answer is 500.

Nowhere in that clip did it define if that was dollars, or some other currency. Who knows, maybe it was cents...
The clip said 500 dollars
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

FL007 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 am
tps8903 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 am
Lightchop wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Uhhh, best working conditions in Canada for a regional (even mainline is debatable), a career, two year upgrades? Shall I go on?
I'd say all three are pretty comparable. Picking one category like pay might put one above another, however each have different benefits and disadvantages. Jazz pays well, and has a PML to Mainline. Encore has a top notch commuting policy and gaurenteed flow. Porter probably pays the best for a Q, and allows you to live where you work (YHZ,YOW,YQT). Each to their own. Any of these 3 regionals are a safe bet as long as they fit what you want in life. As far as I can tell they all treat their people well.
I'm pretty sure pay wise it's Porter, then Encore, then Jazz.
Maybe, it depends on how you calculate it. Total compensation vs Take home pay vs Earning Potential etc. Regardless, my point was to each their own. All good places to work depending on what you are looking for.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

atpl53 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 am Thanks. i appreciate the quick response.

So my curiosity is, what is the incentive to stay after Jazz spends the money training you?
This statement is the exact reason that we have bonds to start with. If pilots would simply honour their commitment to an employer that just spent thousands of dollars training them, we wouldn’t be having this discussion! 😡

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

If it helps anyone, in my case, money was not the deciding factor. I could have gone to any regional but Jazz had the best package of them all. Even if money was an issue, it's not like we're talking about 10-15K difference at the end of the year so the other conditions would still override pay.... in my case.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

tps8903 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 am
FL007 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 am
tps8903 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 am

I'd say all three are pretty comparable. Picking one category like pay might put one above another, however each have different benefits and disadvantages. Jazz pays well, and has a PML to Mainline. Encore has a top notch commuting policy and gaurenteed flow. Porter probably pays the best for a Q, and allows you to live where you work (YHZ,YOW,YQT). Each to their own. Any of these 3 regionals are a safe bet as long as they fit what you want in life. As far as I can tell they all treat their people well.
I'm pretty sure pay wise it's Porter, then Encore, then Jazz.
Maybe, it depends on how you calculate it. Total compensation vs Take home pay vs Earning Potential etc. Regardless, my point was to each their own. All good places to work depending on what you are looking for.
Yes I'm not arguing that they're all a great place to work and to each their own you're right, but 37k vs 43k is all you should look at, because that's what you'd be paid first year if you take vacation for a month.

Perdiems and earning potential is fine and all but you could fail an upgrade course and perdiems are not paid unless you're flying so both of those can't be 100% depended on, like salary.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

So my curiosity is, what is the incentive to stay after Jazz spends the money training you?
The way you were brought up should be an incentive to honor an agreement.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Rowdy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 am Our union would not allow a bond.

The working conditions are far better than most operations here, which tends to keep people. Not to mention the benefit package, pension, ESOP, schedule, vacation, mx, training etc.

Some people do indeed leave after a year or two for overseas gigs. Or after the agreed upon two years they head for mainline if they get through the process. I highly doubt anyone who came here would up and leave for Porter or Encore. Where else are you gonna use that fresh Q400 type rating?
No. They don't leave Jazz to go to Encore or Porter, but they will leave for better paying jobs / working conditions at other companies (corporate, Transat, etc). I left Jazz after about a year. It was not what I thought it would be. I did not have to pay a bond. Would I get a job with Jazz again? Unlikely, but it's even more unlikely I will ever want to work there again.

If your goal is AC and you think you have the requirements, experience, etc that Big Red needs, than Jazz is a good fit. It's not a career airline anymore.

Das ist mir wurst...
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

You go over to Encore because it’s a quicker upgrade to Air Canada. ;)

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 am You go over to Encore because it’s a quicker upgrade to Air Canada. ;)
Welcome to July

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

About as good as any of the other carrots out there.

I believe the “jazz is a good place to make a career” is even more out of date for those hired today.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Outlaw58 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 am

Not ruining your reputation is one incentive... the air industry is a small world :)

Ha, ha, If that was true, half the kids at Jazz would already have "ruined reputations" from their previous jobs. :roll:

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Meatservo wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 pm
Outlaw58 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 am

Not ruining your reputation is one incentive... the air industry is a small world :)

Ha, ha, If that was true, half the kids at Jazz would already have "ruined reputations" from their previous jobs. :roll:
It might never hurt you but the point is aviation is a small world and you never know what bad penny will stick on and haunt you. As I like to say: be careful of the toes you step on today, for they may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Return to “General Comments”