Transport Canada - Betrayal and fatigue

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Transport Canada - Betrayal and fatigue

Post by Duukar »

Does anyone else feel a growing sense of betrayal over the delay in implementing duty regulation changes?

There is a problem. They have admitted it by nearly pulling the trigger on changes twice since 2014. Four years later we still wait.

Money above safety. Shameful.

When an accident happens due to fatigue I hope Transport Canada is prepared to be buried under lawsuits galore.

Transport Canada is supposed to govern and protect us in an industry frought with danger. Instead they are beholden to money.

I'm sick to my stomach.
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Transport Canada - Betrayal and fatigue

Post by daedalusx »

Don't fly if you're unfit to fly. It's that simple.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Easy to say, but harder to do.

How tired is too tired? Often you don't know until it's too late. Fatigue is sneaky and insidious.

Before take-off you feel fine. Now you're half way to destination and start nodding off. Can't exactly pull over on that cloud for a short nap.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Airlines donate $$$ to political parties. Political parties delay implementation to appease their donors. Airlines are opposed to the new rules. More pilots = Less $$$ for companies.

Let’s Go Brandon
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 pm Don't fly if you're unfit to fly. It's that simple.
What does that actually look like practically? How do you think an employer might respond to that? Will they just assume you're hung-over or irresponsible, because nobody else says "no"? There's always someone willing to push their limits, against their own better judgement or to please their company... that's why fatigued pilot mess up in the first place. Obviously their judgement or company pressure failed them. The law gives pilots an 'out' so the company can't touch them.

I used to work in the oilfield. At 19 years old, I worked 16 hours every day for 33 days straight. I didn't even realize how tired I was getting and just thought it was normal for the industry... until I saw a colleague die. He made an operational mistake due to fatigue and our company had a massive law suit and major changes after that. You think at 19 I had the guts to tell my boss to piss off... when I was desperate for money to pay for my flying? No, and neither did the kid that died.

It's absolutely not as simple as you think it is. Such a facile and snide comment like this is an insult to people that actually face this type of operational pressure and have suffered from it.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It's pretty clear to me that Transport Canada will do anything to avoid admitting fatigue is a factor in any aviation accidents where the existing duty rest CARs weren't violated. This means if you meet the CARs, you aren't fatigued, ever, under any circumstances, and it's all your fault.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

youhavecontrol wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:43 pm
daedalusx wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 pm Don't fly if you're unfit to fly. It's that simple.
What does that actually look like practically? How do you think an employer might respond to that? Will they just assume you're hung-over or irresponsible, because nobody else says "no"? There's always someone willing to push their limits, against their own better judgement or to please their company... that's why fatigued pilot mess up in the first place. Obviously their judgement or company pressure failed them. The law gives pilots an 'out' so the company can't touch them.

I used to work in the oilfield. At 19 years old, I worked 16 hours every day for 33 days straight. I didn't even realize how tired I was getting and just thought it was normal for the industry... until I saw a colleague die. He made an operational mistake due to fatigue and our company had a massive law suit and major changes after that. You think at 19 I had the guts to tell my boss to piss off... when I was desperate for money to pay for my flying? No, and neither did the kid that died.

It's absolutely not as simple as you think it is. Such a facile and snide comment like this is an insult to people that actually face this type of operational pressure and have suffered from it.
This!

Also, most (all?) operators nowadays have an SMS system. I believe most SMS systems have an option to report unsafe working conditions anonimously. If you have that, use it. Too many pilots complain without first trying this option. It's what it is designed for.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

Spoken like a guy who has never flown night cargo or Medevac.

These kind of jobs the fatigue follows you around into your personal life. Fit to fly but a zombie day to day. Eventually it catches up with you.

I'm lucky, I work for a company that provides 12 sick days a year and they can be used for fatigue.

Some relief from the needlessly challenging schedules which are completely legal would do a world of good for our bodies and our mental health.

You are thinking very short term. Fit to fly or not. Long term these type of scheduled are going to do damage.

There IS a problem. Transport admits it. Science proves it. Why are you so blinded?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Duukar wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 am
There IS a problem. Transport admits it. Science proves it. Why are you so blinded?
Just as in denial as management that's why. It's legal now, so if you're fatigued that's your problem.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

And once the new watered down to appease industry fatigue rules do come in to effect, isn't TC going to allow company's to implement some sort of BS fatigue management program to get around the rules...basically set up some sort of internal company training program so you will be "educated" about fatigue (basically telling you how to sleep/wake/nap) then all will be magically fixed with your circadian rhythm so you won't be tired and can work up to the max hours allowed by the new rules...what a joke :roll:

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

These kind of jobs the fatigue follows you around into your personal life. Fit to fly but a zombie day to day. Eventually it catches up with you.

I'm lucky, I work for a company that provides 12 sick days a year and they can be used for fatigue.

Some relief from the needlessly challenging schedules which are completely legal would do a world of good for our bodies and our mental health.

You are thinking very short term. Fit to fly or not. Long term these type of scheduled are going to do damage.

Rough, only 12?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

dhc# wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:38 am And once the new watered down to appease industry fatigue rules do come in to effect, isn't TC going to allow company's to implement some sort of BS fatigue management program to get around the rules...basically set up some sort of internal company training program so you will be "educated" about fatigue (basically telling you how to sleep/wake/nap) then all will be magically fixed with your circadian rhythm so you won't be tired and can work up to the max hours allowed by the new rules...what a joke :roll:
They'll just put out ops specs that allow you to not follow the already ineffective rules.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I’ve flown medevac. I’ve refused to fly because of fatigue. No point in putting four lives at risk to (maybe) save one.

Surely after a few years of flying you can anticipate what your performance is going to be like. If you’re jumping or reacting to things, slurring speech, making small errors, nodding off... you’re in fatigue territory. Before you go flying, you should be prepared to do a missed approach and diversion and deal with a critical emergency for the amount of fuel you have in your tanks. If you feel you can’t do that, don’t go.

You might very well be within the new duty time regs and unfit to fly. Legal isn’t always safe.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am

Rough, only 12?
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

The last job I had was doing Medevac in the mountains and we had ZERO sick days. Just a last minute swap with the on call guy. We had to fight for that. So if you are fatigued you do the swap and sit on call. If a call comes you lose a days pay. The accounting behind losing a days pay was as shifty as can be. So now you get to choose rent or groceries.

The rules are fine as they are though........

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

No it wasn't. 12 is not a lot IMO but I guess it's better than what you had before so that's a good thing.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Duukar wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm Does anyone else feel a growing sense of betrayal over the delay in implementing duty regulation changes?

There is a problem. They have admitted it by nearly pulling the trigger on changes twice since 2014. Four years later we still wait.

Money above safety. Shameful.

When an accident happens due to fatigue I hope Transport Canada is prepared to be buried under lawsuits galore.

Transport Canada is supposed to govern and protect us in an industry frought with danger. Instead they are beholden to money.

I'm sick to my stomach.
Where did you come to think that the government was your friend or there to help the people? My whole life, the government has only helped themselves and big business... it's a rather famous saying that one of the biggest lies out there is, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sad to say, must agree with the above post. I thought I had a not spectacular but still pretty good job at TC, and that is after a bankruptcy, looking for work.
Was expecting a maybe routine and slightly boring bureaucratic job, but still, doing what the job requires and so what, life goes on, live and let live. Somebody has to do the job, and I was not adverse to doing those basic things that the public requires.

I cannot even explain the hellhole that the public service is. I would need a conference room and many days to even convey the disconnected, toxic, and quite frankly, at times evil place it has come to be.

I "escaped" after 5 years.............

Life can indeed be an interesting journey. Sometimes, you don't want to see some things. It should not be like that. In a perfect world, it should be exactly the opposite.

I will never work for the government of canada again.

Trouble is......no matter what government you elect, the public service stays in place.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

In my three and a half year legal battle with T.C. the level of evil corrupt top management was unbelievable.

It was corrupt from the bottom to the top of their management system.

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

dhc# wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:38 am And once the new watered down to appease industry fatigue rules do come in to effect, isn't TC going to allow company's to implement some sort of BS fatigue management program to get around the rules...basically set up some sort of internal company training program so you will be "educated" about fatigue (basically telling you how to sleep/wake/nap) then all will be magically fixed with your circadian rhythm so you won't be tired and can work up to the max hours allowed by the new rules...what a joke :roll:
I feel this fatigue management system is slowly being groomed for my own company. Management has made it clear they don't see a problem with the way things are now. So they are preemptively implementing a way to circumnavigate the new regs. Show that they are doing something "proactive". The only thing is, they have been clear that they don't see a problem with a 24 hour on call schedule that has you flying overnight on a 14 hour duty day and then doing that again the next night, followed by a 24 hour rest then a 14 hour duty day starting at 6am. I have been told directly when opposing this type of system that it was my own fault for not being able to manage my fatigue. I was told that it wasn't an issue for the senior capts. They have never been fatigued so how could I? Maybe so, but how about the 250 FO who just got their first job. They are young and might want to go have a life.
And the kicker for me. When marijuana became legal, they implement a strict no-tolerance policy, detailing the insidious dangers of smoking drugs on your days off. How dare a person risk the lives of their unwitting passengers by having a puff. You had better be ready to fly on no sleep though.

It is just baffling to me that we aren't following the science. If TC cares a wit about safety, then they would implement the new regs.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

TC has done their part, the ball is now in the federal government's court.

Return to “General Comments”