The government is concerned...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The government is concerned...

Post by bearitus »

I think it would be fair for Jazz and other regionals to pay more for new FOs with an ATPL and experience who can upgrade quickly compared to fresh college grads. That way they will ensure that they will always have people to upgrade. The only way the college grads can realistically upgrade is by renting to build PIC time and that is not easy for many making 35k in a major city.
---------- ADS -----------

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm For example two candidates, apply for the same job at a regional airline. One has significant 703-704 time and has been type rated on a variety of different aircraft. The second is a "cadet style" candidate drafted from an regional airline affiliated aviation college program. When they both start, they are paid the same. Are they truly worth the same?
The reason the experienced pilot is paid the same as the cadet is because (s)he accepts the lower wage; if (s)he turned down the job, the airline would find another cadet who they could pay the lower wage. Experience has value, but if experienced pilots see value in things like a set schedule and flight benefits then they may be willing to trade off for the lower pay. It's not simply a matter of giving more money to employees with more experience, because as far as the airline is concerned both applicants are legally capable of operating the aircraft, pending a successful PPC, and they are more concerned with keeping costs down. As long as someone who meets the minimum requirement is willing to take the job, they won't raise pay.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Once again boys and girls, the majority of the world employers pay market rates and pay routine wage increases. You can be good, you can be bad, you still get the market rate.

And that applies to every aviation employee........

Except the pilots. And perhaps to the mechanics.

Non operational aviation personnel just walk over to another industry if they do not get paid a market rate. So they get paid market rates.

Drivers and mechanics, the ones who actually keep the place going, get the shaft.
Cuz they can't go anywhere else.

No wonder few want to enter this job field, if I had the resources 40 years ago through internet searches, I would have quickly dumped any desire to fly planes for a living, no matter how much I liked it.

Bad situation. Would not be surprised that airlines will need to promote recruiting campaigns for off the street people with full training provided.

Crazy? Nope.

The military does it to this day the world over.

Europeans have been doing it for decades.

Chinese can't keep up and hire expats.

Cheers,

Should have been an architect. Stupid me, thought I could conquer the aviation world in this sad country. Lost the game. Best I got was a pretty average life.

I sincerely hope that the situation turns around 1000% for those in this place. It would be well deserved.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”