The government is concerned...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

The government is concerned...

Post by chowda »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -says-Fuhr

Pretty sure the answer they're looking for is mentioned in the beginning.

For whatever reason, no attention given to the shortage of AME's.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The government is concerned...

Post by goingnowherefast »

Maybe the government should do what they can to make flying a better job. Shit pay, shit working conditions and shit duty regs really doesn't make it an appealing career. I don't know many pilots who would recommend the career to others.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm Maybe the government should do what they can to make flying a better job. Shit pay, shit working conditions and shit duty regs really doesn't make it an appealing career. I don't know many pilots who would recommend the career to others.
I would happy stay a regional pilot if I could work say 12 days a month, have minimum 13 hour layovers and made over $100k.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It's not rocket science...I don't think we need an expensive study to find the problem. I'd be happy to fly for a living if I could afford to! I could have my CPL in a few months if I wanted.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ekg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ekg »

Is there really going to be a shortage though? I've noticed flight schools have been getting busier. Is that just me?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I keep thinking I would like to go back to flying commercially, then I look at my paystubb and think why? Pay cut, time and money commuting, I guess I could eventually make more but until then is it worth it?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

jakeandelwood wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm I keep thinking I would like to go back to flying commercially, then I look at my paystubb and think why? Pay cut, time and money commuting, I guess I could eventually make more but until then is it worth it?
Depends on your family situation and your age I would wager. If you're in your early thirties and get back into it, in the long term you will do well.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

JasonE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:24 pm It's not rocket science...I don't think we need an expensive study to find the problem. I'd be happy to fly for a living if I could afford to! I could have my CPL in a few months if I wanted.
So could my Gran. Who cares what you think. You don't have perspective. Let the commercial pilots speak their minds.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Meatservo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:25 am
JasonE wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:24 pm It's not rocket science...I don't think we need an expensive study to find the problem. I'd be happy to fly for a living if I could afford to! I could have my CPL in a few months if I wanted.
So could my Gran. Who cares what you think. You don't have perspective. Let the commercial pilots speak their minds.
Meat ANGRY! SMASH!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm Maybe the government should do what they can to make flying a better job. Shit pay, shit working conditions and shit duty regs really doesn't make it an appealing career. I don't know many pilots who would recommend the career to others.
I would happy stay a regional pilot if I could work say 12 days a month, have minimum 13 hour layovers and made over $100k.
I would only recommend it to others if they love aviation. Otherwise, you will probably hate enough of it to not want to do it. Maybe the government could convince the airlines to offer flexible options to its pilots. Some like being home every night, some like long layovers away from home, some like to work for extended periods and then have extended periods off. Pay could match the option.

I like the last option but find few companies willing to do it. Maybe if companies were more flexible, they would find more people. Easy to say, I know but still, in the end, people are choosing a different career.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm
jakeandelwood wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm I keep thinking I would like to go back to flying commercially, then I look at my paystubb and think why? Pay cut, time and money commuting, I guess I could eventually make more but until then is it worth it?
Depends on your family situation and your age I would wager. If you're in your early thirties and get back into it, in the long term you will do well.
In my mid 40s now with a wife, (she has a kid) and mortgage so I would have to commute. Commuting sucks if you only get * few days off in between work.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 am
Lightchop wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm
In my mid 40s now with a wife, (she has a kid) and mortgage so I would have to commute. Commuting sucks if you only get * few days off in between work.
Yeah I agree I commuted for a year. Unless you have the ability to move to one of the bases it would be difficult for sure.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

pelmet wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:47 am Maybe the government could
As if the government had an udder for pilots. Those knockers are for big business. Reference duty times, every sanitized accident report, etc.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

The government doesn’t have an udder for pilots, but they certainly can stimulate industry into producing them.

Things like grants, student loan forgiveness, federal subsidies or tax incentives for flight schools, infrastructure funding, funding for something like the Civil Air Patrol, more funding for Air Cadets.. the list is almost endless.

There’s also an udder they do have, the RCAF. Expand training, offer flying clubs and a more comprehensive Air Force reserve of pilots with basic training which could be recalled and trained up when needed. Who wouldn’t want to have a CPL with a rotary or multi engine IFR converted to civilian for free to go into time building jobs?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ F@#K all that Sh!t! Indusrty created the looming headache by paying poorly in the first place, and now they want the taxpayers to bail them out, by increasing the supply of pilots, so that they can continue to pay poorly??!! FTS! How about salaries going up to attract more people? You know, just like how a capitalist economy is supposed to work!

My cynical side notes that the picture accompanying the article is of one of Flair's 737s; co-incidental, I'm sure, that Flair is based in Kelowna, and it is the (Conservative) MP for Kelowna who is bleating about bailouts.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

mmm..bacon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm ^ F@#K all that Sh!t! Indusrty created the looming headache by paying poorly in the first place, and now they want the taxpayers to bail them out, by increasing the supply of pilots, so that they can continue to pay poorly??!! FTS! How about salaries going up to attract more people? You know, just like how a capitalist economy is supposed to work!

My cynical side notes that the picture accompanying the article is of one of Flair's 737s; co-incidental, I'm sure, that Flair is based in Kelowna, and it is the (Conservative) MP for Kelowna who is bleating about bailouts.
Your thoughts make sense except other parts of the government are screaming that airfare in Canada is already too expensive. You are dreaming if you think aviation is a high profit industry. The margins for sked operations are terrible.

TG

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

The regional airlines are paying less than they did a few years ago even though there is a shortage, this industry doesn't make sense to me.

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

bearitus wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 pm The regional airlines are paying less than they did a few years ago even though there is a shortage, this industry doesn't make sense to me.
This... 100% exactly this...

Shortage? Not so much..

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Good thing they killed the new duty regs, imagine if that would have made the job more attractive. Then this MP couldn't swoop in and save the day with extra money.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Meatservo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:25 am
I love this forum.

Jobs arent the problem. Pay is. And whats more of a problem is the scabs that take those low paying jobs.

Too many people like JasonE would feel "privileged" to work for Buffalo and throw bags for a year just so they can fly a plane. What a deal that is. Loser kids need to stop accepting bullshit paying jobs with bullshit hours and bullshit training bonds and bullshit bullshit just so they can look cool on Instagram. Christ.

Return to “General Comments”