Alcohol Free Beer

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Alcohol Free Beer

Post by yhz41 »

A buddy and I were discussing. Alcohol free beer while on call? Yay or nay?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by yhz41 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Alcohol Free Beer

Post by ant_321 »

Most of it is 0.5% alcohol.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd personally avoid the whole issue altogether. Unfounded accusations can be a big pain in the ass too. Not worth it for a couple fake beers.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:54 pm I'd personally avoid the whole issue altogether. Unfounded accusations can be a big pain in the ass too. Not worth it for a couple fake beers.
My thoughts as well.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

LOL this should be a good thread...

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah, you know what...I work at night. I go on duty at other peoples' bed-time. I almost never see my friends because of me fuckin' job, and if they are drinking some beers, and it's my only chance to see my buddies, I will buy some Budweiser "prohibition" and drink beer with my friends. It says "0.0%" on the tin. You bastards might call me a crypto-alcoholic, or whatever, but I'm perfectly within my rights. I actually hate American lagers such as Molson "Canadian" and similar under normal circumstances, however, like they say about pizza and blowjobs, ...and so on. The alcoholfrei brew makes me feel like I am having a beer with my pals, and I can go to work.

I'd like to hear why this is wrong.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I have yet to find an alcohol-free beer that I could actually drink and enjoy. They all taste like watered down beer. I’m a craft IPA drinker and if i could find a good tasting alcohol free beer I would totally give up the alcohol beer.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Meatservo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:22 am Yeah, you know what...I work at night. I go on duty at other peoples' bed-time. I almost never see my friends because of me fuckin' job, and if they are drinking some beers, and it's my only chance to see my buddies, I will buy some Budweiser "prohibition" and drink beer with my friends. It says "0.0%" on the tin. You bastards might call me a crypto-alcoholic, or whatever, but I'm perfectly within my rights. I actually hate American lagers such as Molson "Canadian" and similar under normal circumstances, however, like they say about pizza and blowjobs, ...and so on. The alcoholfrei brew makes me feel like I am having a beer with my pals, and I can go to work.

Nothing wrong in my view, same as drinking coke, coffee, pepsi and the like. If the can says 0.00% alcohol, pop it open and have a few simple as that. On a personal note the stuff tastes horrible and only enjoyment I had was the opportunity to piss it out. A lot of very good craft breweries popping up here in Maritimes so that alcohol free bog water mixed with moose piss doesn’t interest me.

:drinkers: :drinkers:

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Our company doesn't allow it on duty or on call. That being said, it's not even worth discussing as it all tastes like carbonated garbage water.

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

Grolsch, Becks, and St Pauli all make pretty good alcohol free beer, from my perspective.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

No THC but can I take CBD?

Same idea, and likely on the safe side... Don't.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Old fella wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:27 am
Meatservo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:22 am Yeah, you know what...I work at night. I go on duty at other peoples' bed-time. I almost never see my friends because of me fuckin' job, and if they are drinking some beers, and it's my only chance to see my buddies, I will buy some Budweiser "prohibition" and drink beer with my friends. It says "0.0%" on the tin. You bastards might call me a crypto-alcoholic, or whatever, but I'm perfectly within my rights. I actually hate American lagers such as Molson "Canadian" and similar under normal circumstances, however, like they say about pizza and blowjobs, ...and so on. The alcoholfrei brew makes me feel like I am having a beer with my pals, and I can go to work.

Nothing wrong in my view, same as drinking coke, coffee, pepsi and the like. If the can says 0.00% alcohol, pop it open and have a few simple as that. On a personal note the stuff tastes horrible and only enjoyment I had was the opportunity to piss it out. A lot of very good craft breweries popping up here in Maritimes so that alcohol free bog water mixed with moose piss doesn’t interest me.

:drinkers: :drinkers:
You guys are right, it does taste like fizzy beer-water. When I drink beer, I prefer strong brown ales and sometimes IPA. American-style lagers are not my cup of tea.

Ironically, I was quite drunk on actual beer when I posted my impassioned defence of near-beer. I've never actually bought a pack of "prohibition" to go hang out with my buddies. It was more a hypothetical and rhetorical story. I stand by my opinion though. Same as I would defend a guy's right to smoke a cannbis-free cigarette before flying, if he wanted to.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I love, LOVE beer and I also absolutely love coffee, basically those two and water are my main liquid intake. Obviously coffee when I have to work, duh and beer when I’m out with my buddies. The same reason I would never drink decaf, what’s the point of debeered beer.
Also, a very good point made above, it still smells like beer on your breath, so is fake drinking worth the accusations.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

av8ts wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 am I have yet to find an alcohol-free beer that I could actually drink and enjoy. They all taste like watered down beer. I’m a craft IPA drinker and if i could find a good tasting alcohol free beer I would totally give up the alcohol beer.
Check out Partake IPA. It's an Ontario "craft" IPA with 0.3% ABV. 10 calories if you can believe it. Best one I've tried if you like hoppy beers. It could damn near pass as a real beer in a blind test.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Some of the non alcohol free beer actually taste pretty good and I bet most people couldn’t pick it out blindfolded. I don’t see any issues with it but showing up to work with beer breath is just asking to get fired specially with the amount of idiots that keep showing up to work hammered recently. On a side note out of curiosity could you drink one while driving what if you got pulled over I wonder what the cops would do. Be a good cover up to have one cracked in the cup holder if you actually were drinking real beer.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

I need not to state my opinion on the matter :smt011

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Adam Oke wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm
av8ts wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 am I have yet to find an alcohol-free beer that I could actually drink and enjoy. They all taste like watered down beer. I’m a craft IPA drinker and if i could find a good tasting alcohol free beer I would totally give up the alcohol beer.
Check out Partake IPA. It's an Ontario "craft" IPA with 0.3% ABV. 10 calories if you can believe it. Best one I've tried if you like hoppy beers. It could damn near pass as a real beer in a blind test.
Thanks. I’ll definitely look for it my next time in Ontario

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

dogfood wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:29 am Some of the non alcohol free beer actually taste pretty good and I bet most people couldn’t pick it out blindfolded. I don’t see any issues with it but showing up to work with beer breath is just asking to get fired specially with the amount of idiots that keep showing up to work hammered recently. On a side note out of curiosity could you drink one while driving what if you got pulled over I wonder what the cops would do. Be a good cover up to have one cracked in the cup holder if you actually were drinking real beer.
They couldn't do anything! It's a beverage made from barley malt. It has no alcohol! It's basically a type of pop!

Maybe the optics are bad, and if you're an airline pilot, you're somewhat of a public figure, in context of course, and yeah maybe beer-breath isn't a fantastic image. The same as if you were a smoker, it might be a good idea if you must be seen smoking in your uniform, maybe don't smoke ones you rolled yourself, it looks weed-y even if it isn't.

But as far as company or the police taking action- I'd love to see this in court. "Wrongful dismissal" or "wrongful arrest" would be a possibility unless alcohol-free beer is specifically mentioned in your company employee policy?

Now the beers that are "0.05 percent" or whatever- that's different. Even if there is one molecule of alcohol in the ingredients: you're in violation of the CARS right there. It doesn't specify how much.

5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

Alcohol! Free Beer!

See, a little punctuation and suddenly this thread is lit.

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
prettyFLY4awhitegal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prettyFLY4awhitegal »

5400AirportRdSouth wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 am Alcohol! Free Beer!

See, a little punctuation and suddenly this thread is lit.
:prayer: :lol: oh punctuation!

Return to “General Comments”