Canadian living in the U.S. getting the boot...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canadian living in the U.S. getting the boot...

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I wish people would stop defending the shit pay in Canuckistan. It will never change as long as we keep saying it’s not too bad. It is the largest “pilot shortage” in 40years and somehow AC and it’s feeders are paying less than ever.
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 am I wish people would stop defending the shit pay in Canuckistan. It will never change as long as we keep saying it’s not too bad. It is the largest “pilot shortage” in 40years and somehow AC and it’s feeders are paying less than ever.
I'm not 'defending' the regional pay in either country. Just comparing the two. Your debating skills could use an improvement.

I will say though as a Canadian living in the US at the moment, I'd still pick flying and living in Canada over flying and living in the US (though the guys I know who live in Canada but fly in the US are the ones living their best life - that's where the USD to CAD exchange rate works very nicely)

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JBI wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 am
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 am I wish people would stop defending the shit pay in Canuckistan. It will never change as long as we keep saying it’s not too bad. It is the largest “pilot shortage” in 40years and somehow AC and it’s feeders are paying less than ever.
I'm not 'defending' the regional pay in either country. Just comparing the two. Your debating skills could use an improvement.

I will say though as a Canadian living in the US at the moment, I'd still pick flying and living in Canada over flying and living in the US (though the guys I know who live in Canada but fly in the US are the ones living their best life - that's where the USD to CAD exchange rate works very nicely)
They are also paying taxes in both countries, I guess if the wage and exchange rate offsets this, then have at 'er.

I worked with an American, flying in Canada and in that situation, he was making CAD, but paying US taxes. Good thing we didn't get along so I didn't have to feel sorry for him because I thought he got himself into a really funny spot.

S.

anibalb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anibalb »

Hi Hotwings
I would definitely follow the advice by JBI. Canada is a great country to move, especially the way the US is going. I converted a US license to the Canadian one and it was a very simple process, although since it involves Transport Canada and the FAA it takes some time (I would say roughly 6 months since you start the paperwork until you have a Canadian license).
I moved to Manitoba from South America a few years ago and it was the best decision in my life. I lived in the US for a couple of years and I think Canada is a way better country, notwithstanding the low pay for pilots.
Feel free to PM me if you want more information. Good luck!

Anibal

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

If any of the comments in this thread - including mine - seem "harsh", I'm not sure one is cut out for the aviation industry anywhere. It's not a terribly easy place for the more sensitive.

The fact is, the OP is in the US on a visa for which his entitlement seems a bit tenuous. That's not impolite, that's just a fact. If there's no chance of being deported to El Salvador due to holding Canadian citizenship how is it legitimate to claim TPS? Seems a fair question. One doesn't have to be an immigration lawyer to grasp that. It's not about "kicking anyone out", it's about being resident under a correct class of visa. If there's no pathway to permanent residency under the TPS visa how can one be surprised that it's not possible to gain a permanent job? A guy holds citizenships from two countries and is living in a third but suddenly it's a shock that this causes some complications? Surely 19 years is long enough to assess one's different residency/citizenship options? Honestly not being facetious, just a bit amused that asking logical questions is considered rude or something...? Only in Canada! :mrgreen:

At any rate now there are decisions to be made, but with a Canadian passport I think he'll survive. :roll:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Now's the time to swipe right on your green card wife.

But actually not surprising at all that someone who is a Canadian Citizen can't keep temporary protected status. I mean Toronto right now might look like a shooting range, but in general the country is a pretty safe place. No worse than the USA that's for sure.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Amen to that, and they wonder why there is a shortage.

Return to “General Comments”