When Dornier met Cirrus?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

When Dornier met Cirrus?

Post by FAF »

---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: When Dornier met Cirrus?

Post by goingnowherefast »

Neat idea, not going to happen. Just not rooted in reality. What happens if this capsule gets dropped off overhead NYC? landing on a skyscraper can't be very survivable. What about into a thunderstorm? Parachutes would get ripped off. What happens to the rest of the craft with the flight deck, engines and tail. Looks like they continue their flight, run the drills, and belly it in somewhere (landing gear went with the capsule).

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

And it also assumes that during the catastrophe, all clamp release systems work properly. I also fail to see how it would be economically viable. How many crashes have happened where the pilots knew there were going to crash with; -let's say-
-10 second prior warning (if you don't know you are going to crash, nobody would press the eject button)
- no damage in the air to the fuselage (if the fuselage is damaged, the integrity of the pod and clamp system would be compromised)
- and all the above with severe injury or death

I do not think any crash soo far ticks off all the boxes. CFIT and loss of SA does not satisfy the first requirement.
Any serious structural damage does not satisfy the second requirement.
And if you don't CFIT it, and don't have major damage to the airplane, the "crash" landing will be survivable

Ergo: nice system, but not required.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I can't see it for crashes, but for quick turns it would be sweet. As long as the fuel tanks are in the belly, just pull into the gate, swap fuselages and off you go to the next destination.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

If the fuel tanks are in the belly how do they connect the fuel lines to the aircraft?

The bigger question is who has the eject button? The only time it would be useful would be if the plane was still flyable after and you could “ditch” the cargo that’s on fire.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Too many passenger complaints, invite all the FAs to the cockpit, and ditch the complainers.

Return to “General Comments”