Dress Shoes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Dress Shoes

Post by co-joe »

Just wondering what kind of shoes your job demands? I am a hiking boot kind of guy, but I fly for a very blue collar outfit. Idealy I want something water proof/resistant, with good tread like a hiking boot, but that looks formal enough to go with a shirt and tie. How do you manage the winter season with dress shoes? cj
---------- ADS -----------

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Combat Boots; get them a size larger than you ussually take and wear an extra pair of soxs for warmth. Put a shine on them, (esp. a spit shine) and they look just as good as any dress shoes.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

You learned that from your mother didn’t you mcrit

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Antthing you can untie, and leave in your boss's ass..

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

What, nobody wears velcroe these days anymore? Come on, you don't even have to worry about untied shoe laces! :)

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
NGGuy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NGGuy »

Blundstones. No laces or velcro required. The steel toes are great for kicking tires, or someones ass. Kind of a pain going through airport security with them though.

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

just another pilot wrote:Antthing you can untie, and leave in your boss's ass..
Best reply yet :lol:

Rectum, damn near killed 'em
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I agree, man that was a great reply. You must work for Alta?
Kidding! Combat boots eh? Good idea. Cause you know doing a walkaround in a foot of snow in wing tip dress shoes is retarded, and having cold wet feet sucks, but hikers don't look as classy with a tie. CJ

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

The platform shoes I have to wear just to reach the rudder pedals have to be about the worst deal going.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Try strapping wooden blocks to the pedals like I did on my tricycle as a kid. :D

rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

shoes?

Post by rightseatwonder »

what do you mean shoes?? I fly barefoot. Flip-flops to the plane , shove 'em under the seat...put them back on 3 days later when you are heading home.... easier to turn on the vent fan and avionics master with your toes too!

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I used to like to wear hiking boots and a flight suit that doubled as coveralls and they made my work my butt off. Now I wear black dress shoes, a white shirt and tie and I don't have to go out in the cold anymore and the airplane gets loaded for me and I stay inside where it is nice and warm and dry. So a white shirt, tie and nice shoes is OK.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

I wear either dress shoes (Mellow Walk) or a pair of Terra boots, depending on whatever weather/flying is to be expected that day.

Those boots look somewhat like the army issue boots that are (were?) replaced by the canadian forces, but use better materials (thinsulate lining for cold, gore-tex lining for breathability and water-proofing, polyurethane foam removable insole and nitrile rubber outer sole).

I have yet to test them on an actual winter flying job (still in training), but they did fine on a two day winter survival course deep in the forest. I also use them to fly whenever the weather is cold, and they suit this purpose well.

In case you're wondering, yes, I've been selling safety and work footwear as a part-time/summer job for a while now. It's my family's business, so the post isn't entirely devoid of interest. Feel free to pm me for more info.

Louis

P.S. Moderators: feel free to edit as required if you feel I crossed the line with this post...

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

No steel toes, US issue para boots have plasitic in them. Forget about the security prob, who the hell wants little slabs of metal to turn into mini freezers across your toes in the winter???

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

Edo, people who have cold toes in steel toe boots isn't due to the steel toe's thermal conductivity, but to humidity that can't breathe through steel like it does through leather and linings. Cotton socks often carry the remainder of the blame, and trying thin wool socks might be a good idea.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

louis,

Thanks, never thought of that. Problem is I cant seem to wear woll as it itches too much. I guess ill have to buy gore-tex socks - not likely on a pilot's budget.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

MACH 1, speaking of mothers, I hear your's doesn't spit :lol:

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

What’s the matter mcrit? Did I hit a sore spot? :P

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

It's OK, I know how to hit your wife's spot! whip

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

She'd snap you like a twig.