Flying into USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flying into USA

Post by ShawnR »

Does anyone regularly fly into the USA (General Aviation, not commercial)?
I bought a sticker early this year (last January) but have not used it. COPA has a (I believe) 127 page document on cross border operations (makes it sound complicated and intensive). I have just set up an account with eAPIS. So, so far, I think I have some of the work done but find it hard to believe that it is as hard as it is looking. Maybe after doing it a few times, it will be no big deal but I am wondering if this is true....?

Can anyone tell me if it is as intimidating as it appears?

I read somewhere that you need to file with eAPIS 5 days ahead...so I cannot just file a flight plan, hop in the plane and go when weather is nice? Is this true? Also, the time restrictions on entering, something like +- 20 minutes of filed time for crossing the border, then the arrival time? I guess the flight plan would lay that out, ie, hit the first one (cross border), should be pretty close on the second (landing).

Any good or bad experiences to report?
Any advice?

My sticker has almost expired and I figured I would order another try again but not if it is not worth the effort....It takes 4-6 weeks to get the sticker, iirc.

Thanks
Shawn
---------- ADS -----------

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flying into USA

Post by Taxivasion »

1.) File Eapis 1 hour prior to wheels up at the latest.

2.) Call the port of entry and you MUST speak to an officer (Some won't speak to you unless Eapis is filed hence why #1 is file Eapis) and you MUST get clearance by the officer to proceed inbound with your ETA. If your more then 15 mins either way of your ETA, give them a courtesy call and update (usually not a big deal). Prior notification times required/Ports of entry can be found on the CBP Website or even easier (and free) Fltplan.com. For $250/year they even have a great Eapis program that stores all of your pax info and syncs with your flight plans.

3.) File your VFR or IFR Flight Plan

4.) Off you go.- Easy. Don't be intimidated.

Entering Canada-

1.) Call CANPASS 2 hours prior to your arrival time at the latest (you can call up to 48 hours prior as well) with pax/crew passport info.

2.) When you land if you see no officers Call CANPASS again and they will give you your report number. Done.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Follow the COPA guide, it's seems more difficult than it is.

With VFR, I just call up for flight following once airborne and get a squawk code right away to satisfy being in contact for the crossing.

Don't forget to file leaving the USA. Don't forget to active your flight plan leaving the USA as well. They do NOT automatically active once filed like in Canada. You specifically need to tell them to activate it. Many get caught out on this.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You can tell the briefer to “assume departure” and they will open your flight plan automatically, just like in Canada.
Entering Canada-

1.) Call CANPASS 2 hours prior to your arrival time at the latest (you can call up to 48 hours prior as well) with pax/crew passport info.

2.) When you land if you see no officers Call CANPASS again and they will give you your report number. Done.
Don’t forget to file EAPIS departure notification at least an hour ahead of departure, too. Otherwise $5k fine next time you fly to the US.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

It's not that difficult. Really.

South: eAPIS, call CBP, file, fly, close flight plan, stay in the plane until told otherwise, talk to CBP dudes.
North: eAPIS, call Canada Customs, file, activate, fly, phone Customs.

People often get burnt on failing to activate their flight plan back to Canada, since activation isn't automatic in the U.S. It felt weird the first time I flew back, taking off from something that looked like a real airport (Bellingham KBLI) squawking 1200. Until I called Seattle Radio and they gave me my code for Abbotsford.

Bellingham Ground routinely instruct pilots to call Seattle Radio to close their flight plans while they taxi in.

...laura

GWHG at KBLI
GWHG at KBLI
SAM_3510.jpg (258.57 KiB) Viewed 4123 times

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

lhalliday wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:52 pm
People often get burnt on failing to activate their flight plan back to Canada, since activation isn't automatic in the U.S.
Just tell the briefer to "assume departure". Seriously. Job done, no more fiddling about with FSS frequencies after departure and trying to talk on COM1 and listen on NAV1.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

photofly wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 pm Just tell the briefer to "assume departure". Seriously. Job done, no more fiddling about with FSS frequencies after departure and trying to talk on COM1 and listen on NAV1.
Do they give you your squawk code when you file?

...laura

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Thanks for all of the replies. I was thinking it could not be as difficult as I was picturing so good to hear the input. I might try it this week. Looks like we have some nice weather up here and a border crossing is only a short flight for us. I should use the 2018 sticker once before it expires.....;-)

Cheers,
Shawn

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

lhalliday wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 pm Just tell the briefer to "assume departure". Seriously. Job done, no more fiddling about with FSS frequencies after departure and trying to talk on COM1 and listen on NAV1.
Do they give you your squawk code when you file?

...laura
I’ve never asked for one; I always get a squawk code from ATC (typically a tower or departure controller, or maybe centre), not FSS.
It felt weird the first time I flew back, taking off from something that looked like a real airport (Bellingham KBLI) squawking 1200. Until I called Seattle Radio and they gave me my code for Abbotsford.
Why did you not get a code from KBLI tower?

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Bellingham don't have radar so the only VFR squawk code they care about is 1200.

I was taught to activate my U.S. flight plans through Flight Service and get a squawk code from them while I'm at it. It works for me. Shrug.

The first time I did I called Seattle Radio on the Bellingham RCO and was told to stand by, I was number four. I circled for a few minutes between KBLI and CYXX airspace then got a call on the radio for "the lady calling from Bellingham"...

...laura

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

In my experience FSS in the US will not assume your departure unless you are just about to depart. You can't file a departure time an hour away and have them assume it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ahramin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 pm In my experience FSS in the US will not assume your departure unless you are just about to depart. You can't file a departure time an hour away and have them assume it.
I’ll try again :-)

Yes you can.

Tell the briefer to “assume departure”. Those are the magic words that will ensure that your flight plan is automatically activated at the filed departure time. Seriously. It’s a particular protocol, just like “request special VFR” when talking to ATC - magic things happen when you say it.

Shall I say it a fourth time? Yes! because it’s such fun!

Did you know that if you don’t want to have to open your flight plan in the air, you just have to tell the briefer on the ‘phone when you file to “assume departure”? That is the formal instruction to LMFS to open your flight plan automatically at the filed departure time. The briefer will respond by saying something like “OK, that means your flight plan will be opened automatically, if the flight is delayed or doesn’t happen you must call us to cancel or update, do you understand?”, and you can say yes, and think smugly to yourself thats how it works all the time in Canada.

Look! I even found the official documentation! Check para 6-4-4 here:
http://tfmlearning.faa.gov/publications ... s0604.html

Here it is again, on this page:
http://tfmlearning.faa.gov/publications ... s0701.html
“d. Do not accept assumed departure flight plans when the destination is in a foreign country other than Canada.”

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ahramin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 pm In my experience FSS in the US will not assume your departure unless you are just about to depart. You can't file a departure time an hour away and have them assume it.
PF is right, but so is this post in my experience. I have had that work, I also have been delayed departing, and the system not only didn't assume departure,it dumped my whole flight plan.

Check with ATC -- do talk to ATC -- that they have your active flight plan on first contact. (This is Cessna XYZ, on an active VFR flight plan) That time my plan was dumped, I airfiled the whole thing, directly and quickly with an understanding ATC in extremely busy airspace.

Talk to ATC in the US, AND get a verbal briefing by phone. because while TFR''s, not mentioned yet, are your responsibility to plan and avoid --- doing both of these things helps provide protection against an incursion.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That’s fair. Last flight from the US I filed an assumed departure, but since it was international I also asked the departure controller to verify the flight plan had been activated. It had.

However even if your flight plan gets dumped, you are at least off the hook for a regulatory action because the phone call where you filed it and asked to “assume departure” has been recorded.

By the way - nothing actually happens if you cross the border without a flight plan. Air national guard F15’s are not launched to intercept, there are no black helicopters chasing you, and you are neither shot down nor whisked away for interrogation after landing. Don’t ask me how I know.

More generally, I like the Canadian system of an assumed departure time coupled with a call to FSS to make a position report and give a departure time update and a fresh ETA within the first 15 mins of the flight. You get the benefit of an alerting service from the get go and can contact FSS whenever is convenient. That works in the USA too if you ask the briefer to “assume departure”.

Final point: if it’s a short flight and you didn’t request an assumed departure, you may have already crossed the border by the time you contact FSS to open your flight plan. This is not a problem.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

I'll add a couple of things.

Customs sticker. I have been asked for a it only a few times however If you order the sticker at the last minute and it hasn't arrived yet, showing the invoice/receipt with your tail# is adequate.

Some ports of entry seems to have their own nuances to the procedures once you get there. They can get really pissy if you don't follow one of their specific rules. On a warm day in St. Paul MN I was told that I was not supposed to open the aircraft door until the officer arrived and told me I could.

It doesn't hurt to call in advance and ask one of their officers...make sure you GET THEIR NAME or Badge Number.

Glenn

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yeah. NEVER get out of the aircraft until CBP shows up. Anywhere.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm Yeah. NEVER get out of the aircraft until CBP shows up. Anywhere.
+1 to that. Most are very friendly. The odd one......

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm Yeah. NEVER get out of the aircraft until CBP shows up. Anywhere.
Except for most airports in SE Florida (MIA, FLL, PBI, FXE, OPF), where you will be waiting a long time for someone to show up. At those airports, you are expected to park in the Customs area and proceed to the Customs office for clearance, with all crew, passengers and baggage. While you are being processed, an agent will inspect the aircraft. Each place has there own way of doing it (like FLL where only one aircraft’s occupants are allowed inside the building at a time) so it is best to ask how things work when calling to arrange clearance.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 am
I’ll try again :-)

Yes you can.

Tell the briefer to “assume departure”. Those are the magic words that will ensure that your flight plan is automatically activated at the filed departure time. Seriously. It’s a particular protocol, just like “request special VFR” when talking to ATC - magic things happen when you say it.

Shall I say it a fourth time? Yes! because it’s such fun!

Did you know that if you don’t want to have to open your flight plan in the air, you just have to tell the briefer on the ‘phone when you file to “assume departure”? That is the formal instruction to LMFS to open your flight plan automatically at the filed departure time. The briefer will respond by saying something like “OK, that means your flight plan will be opened automatically, if the flight is delayed or doesn’t happen you must call us to cancel or update, do you understand?”, and you can say yes, and think smugly to yourself thats how it works all the time in Canada.

Look! I even found the official documentation! Check para 6-4-4 here:
http://tfmlearning.faa.gov/publications ... s0604.html

Here it is again, on this page:
http://tfmlearning.faa.gov/publications ... s0701.html
“d. Do not accept assumed departure flight plans when the destination is in a foreign country other than Canada.”
Thanks photoflight, I'll be more assertive next time.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ahramin wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:28 pm Thanks photoflight, I'll be more assertive next time.
Photofly. Photoflights are something else entirely :)

and, you’re welcome.

Return to “General Comments”