De-icing Facilities

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

De-icing Facilities

Post by oldtimer »

When I was actively flying a few years ago, de-icing facilities were quite good at major airports (CYYC, CYEG, CYWG etc.) but at the smaller out of the way places such as First Nations reserve airstrips and other airports/airstrips not served by scheduled air service, what sort of de-icing facilities are available and if known, what is the cost. What do pilots do when their airplanes pick up ice on descent and are faced with a quick turn-around. What about having to stay overnight or spending the day and find the airplane covered with frost.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: De-icing Facilities

Post by iflyforpie »

You have to become creative.

Cancelling IFR or in uncontrolled airspace or doing a contact approach to avoid clouds.

Finding an inversion where it’s above freezing to drive around a bit and melt it off.

Making sure the plane is good and cold soaked so frozen precip doesn’t stick.

Parking the plane into the sun so the black boots will warm up.

Ladders, garden sprayers, brushes, and brooms.

Not overnighting anywhere without a hangar or deice facilities.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: De-icing Facilities

Post by goingnowherefast »

If there's active or suspected ground icing conditions, don't land and go somewhere else. Bring enough gas to go to a main base or somewhere with decent de-ice facilities.

Garden sprayers clean the crap off the leading edge and make that "quick turn" much longer. Operators get what they pay for. If it takes a hour to turn, too bad, my plane is always clean for take-off.

Overnights will be only small aircraft that can utilize wing covers.

Return to “General Comments”