Toronto Sightseeing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Toronto Sightseeing

Post by avcraig »

Hello,

I am a fairly new Private Pilot and based out of CNC3 (Brampton Airport).

I would like to take a flight down to Toronto for some overflight of the city/sightseeing. My main concern/problem is honestly just a little bit of fear to get there funnily enough.
I'm from an uncontrolled airport that doesn't have much radio communication and I haven't been to many big airports with lots of radio communication. So the overflight of Pearson to the Toronto
Skyline freaks me out as I would imagine there being lots of frequencies and traffic to get there and even while you're above Toronto just circling around. Even if I don't overfly Pearson and go around,
I would still imagine there being lots of radio communication that would bring you hell from the controllers if you were to mess a tiny thing up.

Please, can someone explain to me the procedure of flying to Toronto for a sightseeing flight from CNC3.

If I am also in the wrong thread, please let me know.

High appreciated,
Craig.
---------- ADS -----------

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Toronto Sightseeing

Post by lhalliday »

I'd fly west of Pearson's zone down to the lake shore, then east. Toronto Terminal may be helpful. City Tower will clear you for orbits of downtown, typically at 2000 or 2500.

...laura
CN Tower.jpg
CN Tower.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Do you have the Toronto VTA? If not, get it and study it, and know the airspace. Do not enter class C airspace (vertically or horizontally) without a clearance.

You may get clearance through Pearson’s zone if it’s not busy, but if you’re not particularly comfortable on the radio I wouldn’t recommend it without someone more experienced on board. So that leaves you the option of going west of Pearson’s zone, or east through Downsview or Buttonville zones. If you go east, be aware the airspace around Buttonville has changed recently with the closure of the Tower and I don’t think the VTA has been updated to reflect it yet.

Flight following with Toronto Terminal is not required in class E airspace but is recommended. Once you clear the Brampton zone, call Terminal, tell them where you are and what you want, and adhere to any restrictions they assign. Terminal will tell you to contact City Tower at the appropriate time for clearance into their zone.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

If you're really nervous about this go for a dual flight and get an instructor to show you the ropes. In my experience such flights are time and money well-spent.

My first post-PPL dual flight was Victoria CYYJ. Three runways, too many taxiways, ridiculously complicated procedures.

...laura

Last edited by lhalliday on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I've done several out of CNC3, although it's been a few years. It's really quite easy. Leave the circuit, and request flight following from the appropriate centre freq. Tell them you're headed for a city tour. They'll likely give you a heading and altitude to fly that'll keep you clear of any trouble. That or they'll tell you to follow Trafalgar road (I think) south to the shore. If you don't know the road, just say so.

They used to keep you south of lake Ontario inbound for the tour, and north of the shore outbound. You'll eventually get switched to City Tower. On initial contact, tell them you're inbound for a city tour. They'll tell you either clockwise or counterclockwise around the CN tower. Once you're done, just let them know and they'll send you on your way back with Toronto Centre.

Have your VTA folded to show your route so you don't have to screw around with it as you're flying.

Have fun, and if you can, get some pics.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I'll second the dual flight suggestion. Don't worry, we were all that nervous at one point. Toronto VTA/ foreflight( or efb of your choice) also a great tool for busier airspace. Enjoy the tour!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I love the Toronto skyline at night. Get another pilot to mentor you and go enjoy the flight!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

JasonE wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 pm I love the Toronto skyline at night. Get another pilot to mentor you and go enjoy the flight!

Nice pic.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

skypirate88 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 pm You'll eventually get switched to City Tower. On initial contact, tell them you're inbound for a city tour. They'll tell you either clockwise or counterclockwise around the CN tower.
Actually they’ll give you an altitude (2000, 2500, very rarely 1700), a traffic point-out, and a geographical restriction such as remain north of the airport, remain north of the shoreline, or remain north of the CN tower. Nobody cares if you orbit clockwise or anticlockwise as long as you obey the given restriction. Of course, if you’re told to remain north of the CN tower you can’t orbit it at all.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'm usually told to remain north of the tower, but ask for orbits. Always been approved.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avsteve1 »

skypirate88 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 pm I've done several out of CNC3, although it's been a few years. It's really quite easy. Leave the circuit, and request flight following from the appropriate centre freq. Tell them you're headed for a city tour. They'll likely give you a heading and altitude to fly that'll keep you clear of any trouble. That or they'll tell you to follow Trafalgar road (I think) south to the shore. If you don't know the road, just say so.

They used to keep you south of lake Ontario inbound for the tour, and north of the shore outbound. You'll eventually get switched to City Tower. On initial contact, tell them you're inbound for a city tour. They'll tell you either clockwise or counterclockwise around the CN tower. Once you're done, just let them know and they'll send you on your way back with Toronto Centre.

Have your VTA folded to show your route so you don't have to screw around with it as you're flying.

Have fun, and if you can, get some pics.
Seems pretty easy, the route that I would imagine doing is soutbound down to the town of Burlington, then North-East up the shoreline to the city. Reversed to get back.

Return to “General Comments”