New drone rules for Canada...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New drone rules for Canada...

Post by Heliian »

Meatservo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm
Heliian wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am While some enthusiasts are on here bitching and moaning about how this will effect their lifestyle, serious users are already complying.

It was also kind of them to reduce the required distances from aerodromes and heliports.

You see before the internet, we had these things called "hobbies". Besides working, chasing tail, drinking and sports, they were the main way people had to not go insane and kill themselves. Well, sports actually are kind of a "hobby" really. So, you can dismiss enthusiasts and their "lifestyle" if you wish, but there's no reason to insinuate their opinions aren't valid just because you don't understand them. Nowadays social-networking and smoking drugs are considered to be a "lifestyle" and are kind of sacrosanct because we don't want to offend anyone. But aeromodelling used to actually be kind of a big deal. It wasn't a "fringe" element.
I'm not dismissing it! I am an RC and drone enthusiast also! I'm just not that worried about a $5 fee and some easily workable regulations.
---------- ADS -----------

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 am Does a real pilot license exempt you from requiring to get a stupid drone license ?
No! I just wrote the basic exam yesterday...there was a question on effects of icing on a fixed wing, human factors, DAH (which I've never heard of as an ATPL holder). I understand the knowledge requirements around aerodromes, but a little far fetched for the 'Basic exam' in my opinion.

I guess I should write something here.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

The problem is that like most things these new regulations were implemented without any knowledge of drones. There was no consulting or ability for users to have a voice. Icing, are you kidding me, the battery powered stuff is recommended not to fly in any type precip because of batteries and circuits for water damage. There are hobbyists flying jet aircraft for years and high performance "drones" These guys are true hobbyists and had aircraft that covered a lot of ground.

In the CARs there is a difference between fixed wing and helicopters. I don't see much effort for the "drones" The issues started with rotary wing drones and stupid people (likely most under the age of 16)

It's a shame to see the knee jerk reaction results. Certainly it needed regulation but not to the extent we got. Good example of how the process works. No lobby groups and not organized compared to the sh1t show over FDT --

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

With respect to operating within 30 metres or over people. Up till 1 June there was no provision for anybody to operate closer than 30 metres of people not directly involved in the operation. This was a condition on every SFOC issued for commercial operations and was in the interim order for recreational users. The new regulations will allow operations near or over the general public for those drones that have features which will minimize the possibility of the unit hitting somebody. The manufacturer will be responsible for declaring the unit is safe to operate near or over the general public.

Of note there have been numerous people injured after being hit by a drone. Cruise youtube for some examples of epic fails.

With respect to the traditional model airplane flyers, the following note is included in the Gazette entry:
While Part IX of the CARs applies to all RPAS, members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) operating at MAAC fields and MAAC sanctioned events will be issued an exemption to certain provisions of the CARs. Under the Act, footnote 8 the Minister has the authority to issue exemptions to the CARs; the exemption will be issued to MAAC before the end of the coming into force of the Regulations.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Maynard wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am
fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 am Does a real pilot license exempt you from requiring to get a stupid drone license ?
No! I just wrote the basic exam yesterday...there was a question on effects of icing on a fixed wing, human factors, DAH (which I've never heard of as an ATPL holder). I understand the knowledge requirements around aerodromes, but a little far fetched for the 'Basic exam' in my opinion.
I'm not smart enough to tell whether you were joking here. Human factors?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Meatservo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am
Maynard wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am
I'm not smart enough to tell whether you were joking here. Human factors?
Oh how I wish I was...the question involved marital problems, financial issues, stress.... I get it if you’re a drone fixed wing flyer for the mnr operating around aircraft, but that should be on an advanced exam /flight test. But for joe blow in the park? Give me a break...as a pilot you can use your gut to come up with the most correct answer...but for someone new getting into it, good luck.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Wow.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Do you have to swear you won’t keep a copy of the test? I might make up a handy study guide for y’all if and when I write mine...

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

lownslow wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm Do you have to swear you won’t keep a copy of the test? I might make up a handy study guide for y’all if and when I write mine...
No and as far as i can tell, it didn't say to not use google either :D

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

So here is the issue and ya living in a remote area is not the same as a major centre but I have to ask the question. Why would you bother with getting a drone license if there is no way you could possibly meet the criteria of the new rules (such as a having an observer, damn I can fly an aeroplane solo)) Might as well just stay in the "closet" as it were. Don't give them the information to track you in the first place.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

What exactly is the definition of a drone? Does that term cover ANY unmanned aircraft? In my mind a drone had always been something with some degree of autonomous capability or able to be flown via onboard cameras, whereas a line-of-sight aircraft is simply an RC toy.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

valleyboy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 am having an observer, damn I can fly an aeroplane solo
If I understand correctly, an observer is only a requirement when you're using FPV (First Person View) equipment, the idea being that they will spot dangers in the aircraft's environment that the camera may not be pointed at. This part actually isn't a change, you technically have to do that right now too.
Chris M wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 am What exactly is the definition of a drone?
"Drone" is undefined and is just the word the news uses since it's a part of our popular lexicon these days. People picture those quad copters with the cameras when they read or hear the word drone and it makes them angry so the news outlet gets a little more attention and ad revenue. Super.

TC uses the term "Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems" and it encompasses just that. If it flies and is controlled by someone who isn't on board it meets the definition, autonomy is not a requirement. Anyone flying one that has a ready to fly weight of greater than 250 grams will need the appropriate certificate.

ivortyrus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ivortyrus »

These rules didn't leave me indifferent. My hobby is shooting photos and videos with a drone, so learning about such a law was unpleasant.

Return to “General Comments”