7 Wrong Reasons for Wanting to Become a Pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

7 Wrong Reasons for Wanting to Become a Pilot

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 7 Wrong Reasons for Wanting to Become a Pilot

Post by digits_ »

For the most part, pilots can leave work at work. When they clock out, they don't usually have to spend long hours behind a desk at home filing reports or answering emails.
Someone should tell them about computer based training.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 pm
For the most part, pilots can leave work at work. When they clock out, they don't usually have to spend long hours behind a desk at home filing reports or answering emails.
I agree with this unequivocally. CBT sucks.

But, that clickbait article is super cynical. There are still ways to distingush yourself and have an exciting life, if that's what you want.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

In Rebuttal:

1-The money is enough to survive and is better than any retail or service industry. You do not leave flight school with a doctorate, it's a year and pretty much anyone with the cash can get a license.

2-Pilots are still cool. There's a few losers out there but that's just like any other business.

3-Sure there are. In some industries you get bonus for putting the hours in or finishing a contract on budget. It would be dumb to think that every other industry is giving out performance bonuses. Talk to your cubicle friends about that.

4-Aviation has brought me to places i would have never dreamed of. I'm not going to go to tokyo every block off but a quick jaunt is easy.

5- You mean that you have to put hours in to start your career? This is the same in any job, if you find one that doesn't, let me know.

6- Ok, some hotels aren't great but aside from a motel in lab city i stayed at once, they're not that bad.

7- If you can't handle the short bursts of concentration or handle having to do training once and a while then this industry and any other that requires a small
amount of concentration is not for you.

This article is a generalization of the airline industry in the u.s. and is very closed minded since there are many, many other disciplines to get into for a flying career. If you thought being a pilot would bring you riches, then you're an idiot.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

pianokeys wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am #malepilot
What does that mean. Why don't you speak up, use your words, there really is no limit to the amount of characters you can use, this isn't twitter. Try to bring something constructive to the conversation.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

#1 Partially correct, it seems like 2 kinds of people get into aviation
a) for the love of flying and have a passion about it or;
b) people who thought it would be cool and pay a bunch.
I can't tell you how many of the latter I've seen get washed out or discouraged and quit to find a different industry to go work in, the ones who stay around tend to be more miserable to work with as well because it isn't what they imagined it would be.

#2 kinda its not what it used to be but you still get lots of "oh thats cool" or have people asking questions about it. Not a reason to get into flying though.

#3 Don't get the point of that one

#4 bang on how I feel, I rarely use travel benefits. If I got into the airlines at 20 like some of the kids now still living at home it would be incredible to have but it is lot harder to tell the wife "Cya I'm going to jumpseat to Europe for the next 5 days with some buddies" between pairings

#5 Personally I enjoy not having a M-F 9-5 schedule and being able to get stuff done during the week is nice. The shift work sched sucks for kids sports but overall I like it.

#6 A hotel is a hotel, as long as the room is clean I'm happy. I'd rather have lots within walking distance of a hotel with a moderate room than some lavish hotel with nothing around it.

#7 A good crew makes for a great pairing a poor crew or one you don't have much in common with makes for a less enjoyable one but I haven't been stressed at work in a very long time. I guess experience makes the stress level go down.

#8 The one they should have had
Time on the road sucks, at some points I used to think it would be awesome to be out exploring and on the road but after years of it the time away starts to take a toll. I don't look forward to going to work because I know that means I'm not going to be home for X number of days, it has nothing to do with the job, I actually enjoy my job once I'm at work it is the being away that sucks.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Meatservo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55 am

But, that clickbait article is super cynical. There are still ways to distingush yourself and have an exciting life, if that's what you want.
I never do CBT on anything but company time. It does interfere with my side gig, though...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Heliian wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:49 am
pianokeys wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am #malepilot
What does that mean. Why don't you speak up, use your words, there really is no limit to the amount of characters you can use, this isn't twitter. Try to bring something constructive to the conversation.
You need to settle down.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

iflyforpie wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm
Meatservo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55 am

I never do CBT on anything but company time. It does interfere with my side gig, though...
I feel like I'm being set up to be the "straight man" in a comedy routine, but I'll bite anyway:

What's your side-gig?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOaAHK7efc

and/or

Find a job you like and you add five days to every week. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.

Return to “General Comments”