Guelph airpark (flight school?)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 am

Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by marakii » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Any potential for a flight school at the Guelph airpark?
---------- ADS -----------
  

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by B208 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Used to be one
---------- ADS -----------
  

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 am

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by marakii » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 pm

B208 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Used to be one
So there’s hope
---------- ADS -----------
  

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:58 am

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by pigboat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Not very likely in the near future. There was an off shoot for Brampton but with the shortage of C172s and Instructors, many flight schools have closed or having great trouble holding onto Instructors.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
dgrosch
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:38 am

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by dgrosch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 am

It's what...15 miles to YKF? I would be very surprised.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 am

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by Lotro » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm

If you had your own plane you could likely get a freelancer off of WWFC to do your training over in Guelph. 152s are still economical.
---------- ADS -----------
  

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:49 am
Location: aerodrome of democracy

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by fleet16b » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:48 am

Lately we have been hearing rumblings that there may be a small flight school in the works
Some reno work has been going on in the office and classroom areas .
No other info available at this time
---------- ADS -----------
  
...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........

haselcheck
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by haselcheck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:13 pm

It may be opening soon...I've seen the Redbird Flight Simulator set up - October 2019
---------- ADS -----------
  

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7426
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Making aviation exhausting, everywhere

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by photofly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
“ Tng Rwy 05/23 proh without prior authorization fr Transport Canada via ops
specifications”

I know it’s a small runway, but that is just strange.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Kirk: This is a dangerous mission. Likely, one of us will die. The landing party will be me, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Ricky.
Ensign Ricky: Aw, crap.

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by rookiepilot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

photofly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm
Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
“ Tng Rwy 05/23 proh without prior authorization fr Transport Canada via ops
specifications”

I know it’s a small runway, but that is just strange.
I could be mistaken, but it might be due to the trees in close proximity causing some nasty turbulence---note the huge displacement on 23
---------- ADS -----------
  

Aviatard
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:45 am
Location: In a box behind Walmart

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by Aviatard » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 am

rookiepilot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm
photofly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm
Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
“ Tng Rwy 05/23 proh without prior authorization fr Transport Canada via ops
specifications”

I know it’s a small runway, but that is just strange.
I could be mistaken, but it might be due to the trees in close proximity causing some nasty turbulence---note the huge displacement on 23
That's exactly why that notation is there. It was put in place in the early 2000's when Aviation International had the flight school at Guelph. Basically you needed a check flight with an instructor to use the runway for training. It requires a pretty steep approach to clear the trees east of the runway when landing on 23.
---------- ADS -----------
  

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7426
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Making aviation exhausting, everywhere

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by photofly » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 am

So instructor B needs a checkout from instructor A before they can train student C, but because it’s an OPSPEC only an FTUOC holder can hold it, and so B and A need to work for FTU D...?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Kirk: This is a dangerous mission. Likely, one of us will die. The landing party will be me, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Ricky.
Ensign Ricky: Aw, crap.

User avatar
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Near CNJ4 Orillia, Ontario

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by PilotDAR » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:13 am

Yes, TC questions are multiple choice A, B, C or D. Choose the most correct answer....
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 am

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:51 pm

I guess the quality of pilot training dropped from the early 90s to the early 2000s...or the trees grew substantiallly 🤔
---------- ADS -----------
  

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 am
Location: ykf

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by 20DMEYYZ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Aviatard wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 am
rookiepilot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm
photofly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm
Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
“ Tng Rwy 05/23 proh without prior authorization fr Transport Canada via ops
specifications”

I know it’s a small runway, but that is just strange.
I could be mistaken, but it might be due to the trees in close proximity causing some nasty turbulence---note the huge displacement on 23
That's exactly why that notation is there. It was put in place in the early 2000's when Aviation International had the flight school at Guelph. Basically you needed a check flight with an instructor to use the runway for training. It requires a pretty steep approach to clear the trees east of the runway when landing on 23.
departing east in summer (dual in 152) we would start our t/o roll on the 'grass' and hop back up on the rwy to continue gaining more speed and then perform a Vx climb out. for our own safety and preservation of the owner's insurance rates so she could keep buying those new porsche convertibles.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”