Assistance compressing a large PDF file

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sasquash
Rank 5
Rank 5

Assistance compressing a large PDF file

Post by Sasquash »

AvCanada readers!

I have a PDF document I would like to share with the readership and would hope someone might help. The document is entitled: PRELIMINARY PILOT’S OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS ARROW 1 and is dated April 1958. Clearly a rather interesting document!
This document is 174,962 kb and has 187 scanned pages to PDF.

I have tried several PDF compressor on line, however most are limited to a maximum of 100 kb.

I am no computer guru, so if anyone would have an idea, or the equipment, to compress this file to an upload size of maximum 2 MB, pls PM me, it would be much appreciated. I currently reside in Winnipeg.

Sasquash
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
page 1 arrow.jpeg
page 1 arrow.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1600 times
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Assistance compressing a large PDF file

Post by DanWEC »

Neat! If you can set up Dropbox or Google drive, both very easy, and put the file on there for me I can do it for you. Only problem is if they're all image pages I can't predict how much I can shrink it. PM me if you want me to do it and I'll send my email to you.

Dan

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Sasquash wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:34 pmThis document is 174,962 kb....compress this file to a maximum 2 MB
Hmmm... compressing a 175k file to 2mb would be a good trick. :)

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:40 pm Neat! If you can set up Dropbox or Google drive, both very easy, and put the file on there for me I can do it for you. Only problem is if they're all image pages I can't predict how much I can shrink it. PM me if you want me to do it and I'll send my email to you.

Dan
What a great base line! I second Dan’s kind offer. He’s good people. Dropbox it please!!!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

If you know a person with a "paid" version of Adobe you can save the file as a PS (Post Script) and then compress it back into a PDF file. It will take a 15 meg PDF file and compress it to about 300K and not lose any thing. That's the secret on how. You do it you might find a service to do it. I do it all the time but I own my own copy of Adobe professional, which you can't do anymore because like everyone other software company they have gone to the cloud and gouge us with renting instead of owning. Good luck

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Yes alas what you have is not really a PDF but 187 jpegs that are held in a PDF file, so there is not much compression that can go on. Use dropbox or google drive or apple icloud and you can host and have as many friends download the file as you like for free. Really a couple hundred megs these days is not really that much of a burden, probably 3 or 4 min on my home internet.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Yeah you wouldn’t be able to compress a whole lot unless you had near perfect scan and a good OCR, otherwise either it’ll be a large but high quality file, or a highly blurry mess with a small file.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

www.wetransfer.com

upload and email. easy.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
sasquash65
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sasquash65 »

Good day everyone;

After a couple of years being kind of busy with this nasty Covid thing, I know had the time to download a program and reduce the PDF file on the Avro Arrow 1 pilot's operating manual. I now have it divided in 7 PDF files or in various chapters. If anyone is interested, I have test emailed it on Gmail and it did go through.

If interested, PM your email and I'll try to get that stuff over to you!

Sasquash

Return to “General Comments”