Jazz/encore

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Saubia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jazz/encore

Post by Saubia »

Hi,

Just got a GS scheduled for both: encore and jazz...
With all the last days updates where is the best place to go?
Obviously my long terme goal is the mainlineWJ/AC. A little preference for AC.

Thanks for your advices!
---------- ADS -----------

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jazz/encore

Post by Speedalive »

I feel like a Encore is the most secure choice. Encore guarantees you a spot at Mainline WS as opposed to just an interview at AC if you went with Jazz. If you chose Encore, you could always jump ship too and apply to mainline AC with the comfort of still having a mainline job guaranteed if you got PFO’d.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

With the biggest hiring boom since WW2 for pilots....why not do both. Plus you'll need 2 jobs to make up for the deep salary cuts and concessions that union (rhymes with 'alfalfa') made their membership sign.

Yeah...100 percent for sure do both.

You're welcome :smt045

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Well I’m going to disagree with the above poster, I’d take Jazz. With the new agreement they will be taking pretty much everyone who wants to go to AC (a 10% reject rate). The work rules while you’re at Jazz are better and the relationship between ACPA and AC is better right now than between WJ and its pilots (the whole swoop and wj thing and all that entails). Also right now upgrades at AC are a lot faster than at WJ. Base changes right now at AC are at most a year, if you listen to the guys on the WJ forum it could be 6 years plus for some bases (yvr). And finally the larger variety of flying at AC with the varied fleet. With WJ you’re going to be on the 737 for a long time. But if you have your heart set on WJ that’s still a good company.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Jazz without question. Long term stability with the new CPA, good work rules, base and aircraft variety and a pretty solid road to AC of that's where you want to be.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who... :smt034

If you want an upgrade at mainline Team Teal, you have to go to Swoop unless you want to wait for the second coming.

I think the only thing going for Encore is not having to go to YUL for an upgrade and going OTS to Big Red ;)

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I WAS Birddog wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm With the biggest hiring boom since WW2 for pilots....why not do both. Plus you'll need 2 jobs to make up for the deep salary cuts and concessions that union (rhymes with 'alfalfa') made their membership sign.

Yeah...100 percent for sure do both.

You're welcome :smt045
:prayer:

I like how this is a problem nowadays.

You hear the same thing from lots of kids out of college. 22 years old, frozen AAs in hand and the hardest decision they've ever made is to decide do I go to Sunwing or Jazz, or Sunwing.....or back to Jazz....or Sunwing?? oh god now Encore is calling? Should I go left on a Beechcraft 1900 with 250hrs or go straight to AC cause PIC time is king, but not if AC is calling cause I can just go left on the 320 right out of groundschool, so who cares about salary. Right? Life's tough.

Sorry OP, apologies for my mini rant.

If I were in your shoes, Jazz. No particular reason, I flipped the coin for you that was in my pocket. It landed on heads, don't know if that was Jazz or Encore, but it just felt right, y'know?

Good luck at [insert generic regional airline here].

S.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

What’s the best headset?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Liftdump wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm What’s the best headset?
Bah! Just use the handheld and turn up the cockpit speaker.

In all seriousness though, gold encrusted A20s. You can thank me later when they go up in value as investors pull out of the equity market and into resources.

S.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

In my head Jazz is the obvious choice. WJ will be the next Canadian Airlines or something like that.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

I work at Jazz, never even looked at the work conditions at Encore.

I feel no desire ir urge to look Teal's way. If I decide to go to AC, couldn't be in a better place and I definitely would be happy staying at Jazz as well. It's that good.

If things are better at Encore, it's a pretty damn well guarded secret.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

I'd go Jazz/Air Canada.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Currently morale is pretty crap at team teal/pink. Extremely strained relationship between pilots and management is never good.

Jazz just ratified a mediocre contract. Encore is entering a vicious battle for their contract. Based off how it went for WJ/swoop, I bet Encore's contract won't be any better than Jazz. So take your pick. Mediocre deal, or a very high probability of a worse deal.

Encore has guaranteed flow right now but will that last? Could loose flow altogether. I doubt it, but do you really want the risk of flowing to swoop? It's up for negotiations, so anything is possible.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Go to Jazz.

Signed,

A WJ pilot

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Jazz
/Thread

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

What about Porter?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

LennyLeonard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 pm What about Porter?
Yes...some Porter pilots do apply to Jazz.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

90% of flow from Jazz to AC, you can’t go wrong. If you get PFOs, you still can go fly the CRJ on the beautiful west coast...

Go to JAZZ

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

2-3 years ago, I would've said Encore. Now you'd be crazy not to go to Jazz. Who knows, maybe that'll flip again in another few years. At least you have a choice!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

As long as you're ok with having an unknown base to start with, Jazz is by far a better medium to long term choice at the moment. The first bit of time at Jazz will be a little tougher, but there will be lots of movement and once you have a bit of seniority, your quality of life will be substantially better at Jazz than Encore.

Encore isn't bad, and eventually, there will be flow to mainline WJ, but there will be comparatively less retirements at WJ than AC over the next 10 years so much less movement to mainline. Now, if you're really young that may not matter in the long run, but I'd still say there's a better chance of a better experience at Jazz.

Return to “General Comments”