Random Q400 tips

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Random Q400 tips

Post by Tubkal »

Hey Q400 pilots

Would you mind sharing Q400 tips/facts, specially related with landing techniques, automation/fmc-autopilot relationship and the anti-ice system. I am planning to put them together in a document for my own reference and for other pilots.

Thank you !
---------- ADS -----------

Jet Stream
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Random Q400 tips

Post by Jet Stream »

Call it random QTips

cloudskimmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cloudskimmer »

Already been done. Read first comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comment ... me/cq26tut

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Don’t say you’re going to fly fast and then don’t.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Gee I wonder who that is. E

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

cloudskimmer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 am Already been done. Read first comment.

Pretty much sums it up. Especially the brakes and heat/ac

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

cloudskimmer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 am Already been done. Read first comment.

Best rant ever!!!

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I loved flying the Q.

The autopilot can be a little aggressive though. Its parameters are often outside those of passenger comfort. For example, when intercepting a vertical descent, arming the VNAV typically causes a brief but noticeable pitch down. To smooth this out I was taught to start in VS. and only arming VNAV once your VDev is within +/- 30 ft. Anything more and you'll get that characteristic buck.

Same goes for intercepting an ILS. The LOC intercept is laughable so I always cheat a little with the HDG bug.

A little boost of power just prior to touchdown helps a good deal with a smooth landing. It is more challenging to land a greaser, but not impossible. Don't let that keep you from trying. My personal experience is too many Q pilots hide behind it's reputation as a rough lander and avoid making any effort. Any monkey can bang a Q on the numbers, takes real finesse to string a series of greasers together. Your crewmembers will notice!

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Mr. North wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 pm I loved flying the Q.

The autopilot can be a little aggressive though. Its parameters are often outside those of passenger comfort. For example, when intercepting a vertical descent, arming the VNAV typically causes a brief but noticeable pitch down. To smooth this out I was taught to start in VS. and only arming VNAV once your VDev is within +/- 30 ft. Anything more and you'll get that characteristic buck.

Same goes for intercepting an ILS. The LOC intercept is laughable so I always cheat a little with the HDG bug.

A little boost of power just prior to touchdown helps a good deal with a smooth landing. It is more challenging to land a greaser, but not impossible. Don't let that keep you from trying. My personal experience is too many Q pilots hide behind it's reputation as a rough lander and avoid making any effort. Any monkey can bang a Q on the numbers, takes real finesse to string a series of greasers together. Your crewmembers will notice!
not sure if it's newer generation Qs but the VNAV intercept seems to be okay now unless you arm it late (its ridiculous that you have to wait for 2 mins out and a lower alt set to set it haha). The LOC capturing is awful, especially if you're far out on the LOC. Trick seems to be to do a manual leg change in the FMS (if on vectors) and use the FMS to track inbound on the LOC until you're closer to the glideslope. You can even use the FMS to command heading and intercept the track which is far far smoother than intercepting a LOC.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

As far as landing it goes...*cue Yoda voice* “You must unlearn what you have learned.”

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I always found it intercepted localizers and tracks very well if you keep the brick centered, which you must do on this aircraft since it’s so sensitive to yaw. Without fail, every person I flew with who complained of a shitty intercept as it was happening still had their feet on the floor. :roll:

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

keep a hoodie in your kit, year round. So much rudder trim.

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:28 am I always found it intercepted localizers and tracks very well if you keep the brick centered, which you must do on this aircraft since it’s so sensitive to yaw. Without fail, every person I flew with who complained of a shitty intercept as it was happening still had their feet on the floor. :roll:
agreed. it does a much better job intercepting when the turn is coordinated. And pretty much every landing requires power until touchdown.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

My Weber BBQ has better brakes than the Q400

Let’s Go Brandon
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

-

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronson
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bronson »

For smoother landings try pretending it's a taildragger and wheel it on. Works in the 300...

bronson - you can be in a hurry or you can be in an airplane, but don't ever get into both at once
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Isn’t that hard on the nose gear?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “General Comments”