Operating crew / Catsa

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Operating crew / Catsa

Post by av8ts »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm
tps8903 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 pm
mbav8r wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:18 pm
So why is it in YYC, you are required to put your RAIC in the bin when going through NPS? We received a memo about complying with this. It’s about care and control and once seized, you will now have to try and get it back, point is they can make your life difficult.
If had this argument with CATSA in YYZ regarding the exact same thing. Asking us to remove our ID and proceed through the metal detector is in violation of the legislation. Once you go into NPS or screening in general you are in a restricted area without the proper documentation. See below.

You'll get a dumbfounded stare. But the regulations are clear.

Restricted area identity cards — conditions of use

166 (1) A person to whom a restricted area identity card has been issued must not enter or remain in a restricted area unless

(a) they are acting in the course of their employment;

(b) the card is in their possession;

(c) the card is active;
Further to that, in uniform in the sterile area you must display the RAIC on the upper part of your body, had the same argument to no avail.
I wonder what happens if you only have a boarding pass and no RAIC on you ( maybe you left it at the crash pad and don’t need it to go home)
---------- ADS -----------

MRP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MRP »

ahramin wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:54 pm
MRP wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 pm
mbav8r wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:18 pm
So why is it in YYC, you are required to put your RAIC in the bin when going through NPS? We received a memo about complying with this. It’s about care and control and once seized, you will now have to try and get it back, point is they can make your life difficult.
Here’s how “RAIC in the bin” came about.

A few months after the randomizer was introduced to the NPS in YVR domestic NPS there was an incedent where a pilot got the red X and refused to be screened. He then grabbed his bags and exited back to the food court area. If you enter the NPS you MUST to be screened if you get the red X so it was a big deal that this guy “escaped”. Within a week or so the rules were changed requiring us to put our RAIC in the bin while being screened at NPS at all airports across Canada.
How was that supposed to prevent the original incident? If the person refused to put their bags through the scanner, I'm doubtful that they would put their RAIC in the scanner before escaping.
I never said it makes sense. Just saying how it came about.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I just bite my tongue when I go through screening. I don't talk to them. They are just low paid minions doing a job they are paid poorly for. If one of them gives me attitude which does happen, I just remind myself I make more in 1 day then they do all week and go on with my day. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

Apparently this issue has raised its ugly head again.

Contrary to a company memo detailing the TC memo about crew deadheading being 'crew operating in the course of their employment' - was just denied access to the YUL crew checkpoint as apparently there is a 'new' memo from TC that says our ticket has to have DH on it.

I showed the TC memo, and the company proof that we were deadheading. Of course they wouldn't back down even with a supervisor was called.

Jokers.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Handover wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm Apparently this issue has raised its ugly head again.

Contrary to a company memo detailing the TC memo about crew deadheading being 'crew operating in the course of their employment' - was just denied access to the YUL crew checkpoint as apparently there is a 'new' memo from TC that says our ticket has to have DH on it.

I showed the TC memo, and the company proof that we were deadheading. Of course they wouldn't back down even with a supervisor was called.

Jokers.
Same happened to me in CYYC once. A while ago. Funny thing is that I showed up at the NPS because the catsa agent at the RAIC line said it would be much faster and was definitely allowed :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

Handover wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm Apparently this issue has raised its ugly head again.

Jokers.
Similar instance in Montreal. Operated in on an international flight followed by a dead head we were late and had 30 minutes to get to the dead head. Catsa guy would not let us use the connections customs bypass thing to get to the domestic gates.

He said we were no longer operating crew and thus had to exit and be screened. I always understood it as long as we are dead heading we are still operating crew in TCs eyes.

Normally I do not care about their power trips but this time it almost cost us getting home.

Montreal seems especially bad.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

What if you’re deadheading on another airline ? It certainly wouldn’t show DH on the boarding pass :rolleyes:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:19 pm What if you’re deadheading on another airline ? It certainly wouldn’t show DH on the boarding pass :rolleyes:
This. Or even if your repositioning in uniform can you still use NPS? Or would that fall under commuting were you can’t use NPS?

Return to “General Comments”