First Day as a flight instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

First Day as a flight instructor

Post by stayls »

I am sure instructors have interesting stories about their first students, I say lets share them for a laugh.

For me:

on my first flight with a brand new student as a brand new instructor, i was so concentrated on attitudes and movements I did go out of training area 15nm miles or so and got lost. without letting student know found my way back to the airport and landed safely. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will remember it forever.
---------- ADS -----------

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Day as a flight instructor

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

My very first day and my very first student had a French PPL and was at my school to train for a CPL. Everything was going fairly well until we were on final, and a little high and fast. I say "So, does it look like we're in a good position?" And he just pitches for the sky and starts hammering on both rudder pedals like he's the lead in Riverdance.

Students do the damndest things.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

My first day as an instructor, my supervising instructor suggested I flew with one of his students who was very close to his flight test.

I asked that student to do a walk around. He didn't know what I meant. I asked him to do an external check of the plane. Still drawing a blank. I told him to check the plane from the outside, see if anything was missing. He had no idea what I was referring to. I showed him the POH with the extended external checklist. First time he ever saw that. Interesting.

Then I asked him if there were any pertinent NOTAMs for this flight. He did not know what a NOTAM was. Guy was 3 hours away from his PPL flight test.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stayls »

digits_ wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm My first day as an instructor, my supervising instructor suggested I flew with one of his students who was very close to his flight test.

I asked that student to do a walk around. He didn't know what I meant. I asked him to do an external check of the plane. Still drawing a blank. I told him to check the plane from the outside, see if anything was missing. He had no idea what I was referring to. I showed him the POH with the extended external checklist. First time he ever saw that. Interesting.

Then I asked him if there were any pertinent NOTAMs for this flight. He did not know what a NOTAM was. Guy was 3 hours away from his PPL flight test.
Poor fella...
LifeAt90Kts wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 pm My very first day and my very first student had a French PPL and was at my school to train for a CPL. Everything was going fairly well until we were on final, and a little high and fast. I say "So, does it look like we're in a good position?" And he just pitches for the sky and starts hammering on both rudder pedals like he's the lead in Riverdance.

Students do the damndest things.

Reminds me one of mine multi student,

doing downwind checks we were letting gear down and carbs on for a sec and confirm smooth running by saying "smooth on both"

This kid was sayin "no shaky shaky".

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

As a new Instructor/VFR Charter guy, giving sight seeing flights and Photo Flights, I had just returned from a training flight only to be told that my next customer was waiting... In front of everyone, I was pressured into giving a sight seeing flight to a 300LBS customer in a C-150!
It went without a hitch until "final" when the "stall" horn went off at 70MPH! :oops: I put the boots to it, rounded out and made my first overweight landing!
This was my introduction to PDM and "don't trust anyone but yourself" syndrom! :lol:

Keep the dirty side down.

Return to “General Comments”