Night VFR route planning software

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Night VFR route planning software

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I've been tasked with creating some routes in uncontrolled airspace for Night VFR 703 ops. CARs 703.27 states "Except when conducting a take-off or landing, no person shall operate an aircraft in VFR flight

(a) at night, at less than 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of three miles from the route to be flown;"

While I can do it the old fashioned way of drawing a line on a map 6 miles wide and looking for the highest points, has anyone seen any software that can accomplish this for me? Something that can not only draw a track line between coordinates, but also draw a 3 mile offset or create a line that is 6 miles wide, or something similar? With all of the GPS data out there nowadays, there has to be something better than a marker on a VNC.
---------- ADS -----------

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Helno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Night VFR route planning software

Post by Helno »

Foreflight does this if you have the pro version. It has an altitude advisor with selectable corridor widths and required obstacle clearance.

https://foreflight.com/products/forefli ... avoidance/
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”