Can an airline check another airline's Standby?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Can an airline check another airline's Standby?

Post by skyhighh »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering, let's say you work for company A and you want to fly standby with company B. Can A contact B to see if you flew with them?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Can an airline check another airline's Standby?

Post by lownslow »

"Of course I was back in town for my pairing, I'm just... uhhh... sick today."

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

To answer your question, if you’re booked off and don’t want to get caught flying another airline, use your jumpseat passes and not your zed fares. Interline bookings through MyIDTravel etc CAN be tracked by your parent airline if they really wanted to dig into it. Would they ever? Hard to say. I’ve heard of it happening. Use your jumpseat (or ALPA privileges if this applies to you) to get around. You won’t be able to travel with family, but it’ll get you where you need to be.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Most Jumpseat booking are made through MyIDtravel now though. Very few carriers still have walk up service.

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

skyhighh wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 pm Hi everyone,
Just wondering, let's say you work for company A and you want to fly standby with company B. Can A contact B to see if you flew with them?
In most cases, yes. It takes effort on the part of whoever is digging up this information so the exercise actually has to be worthwhile.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Pretty sure it would be an invasion of privacy and the lawsuit you could follow up with would let you retire early

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

fish4life wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am Pretty sure it would be an invasion of privacy and the lawsuit you could follow up with would let you retire early
The best part is whether you win or lose you'll never have to work in aviation ever again.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Just because your unfit to work doesn’t mean your unfit to fly as a passenger so go ahead and use your reciprocal js and don’t stress over it.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

av8ts wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 am Just because your unfit to work doesn’t mean your unfit to fly as a passenger so go ahead and use your reciprocal js and don’t stress over it.
Thanks, that was exactly it. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well on the last day of a pairing and had to go to Calgary but wasn't sure if I could get in trouble over that. I heard rumors of people getting fired for it. I ended up paying a hotel and going the next day.

Thank you all for the replies.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

fish4life wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am Pretty sure it would be an invasion of privacy and the lawsuit you could follow up with would let you retire early
I doubt it.
While there are no notable cases where damages have been awarded for a violation of this right...
http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/175580/C ... +In+Canada

Return to “General Comments”