Canada To Decommission Hundreds of VORs, NDBs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canada To Decommission Hundreds of VORs, NDBs

Post by C.W.E. »

It was the cheapest approach aid one could have cost wise for the receiver hardware. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

C.W.E. wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 am It was the cheapest approach aid one could have cost wise for the receiver hardware. :mrgreen:
The GPS hardware only costs $6:

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale- ... odule.html

Although it seems to be US$12795 to actually get one installed on your plane IFR.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

What other navaid can you use without needing a receiver mounted in the aircraft, outside of the radio range system ?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

What other navaid can you use without needing a receiver mounted in the aircraft, outside of the radio range system ?

All you need is a cheap hand held AM radio that receives in the 200 to 500 KC band and you can fly the old radio range safely. :| :mrgreen:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Here you are C.W.E

Attachments
655797F9-E13C-4C1F-934C-33C20928A33C.jpeg
655797F9-E13C-4C1F-934C-33C20928A33C.jpeg (695.93 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Thanks old fella, Gander brings back fond memories of when I flew for Gander Aviation in 1964.

And the radio range brings back fond memories of when I first started my IFR training in 1957 in Toronto. :mrgreen:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

C.W.E. wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:37 pm Thanks old fella, Gander brings back fond memories of when I flew for Gander Aviation in 1964.

And the radio range brings back fond memories of when I first started my IFR training in 1957 in Toronto. :mrgreen:
Indeed CWE, who hasn’t heard of BB aka Gander Aviation different cat for sure, met him a couple of times early 80’s. Certainly a legend, like you( I say that with respect,not sarcasm 😊). I imagine those RR approaches were interesting to fly and more to the point , figure out how to. Noticed the limits are down to 400ft and a mile and takeoff 200ft and three quarters of a mile. Think those approaches were post war time after 1945 when commercial aviation started overseas routes using Gander extensively. Don’t know if you are into Facebook but somebody has a site on aviation in Gander covering many decades including the ‘60s, perhaps some faces and names you may recognize.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

linecrew wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 pm
confusedalot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm Just another reflection of our public service.
These people do not have the ability to think one inch in front of their noses.
But hey, if you save a few pennies to make room for outrageous spending elsewhere in the public service world, it's all OK.
Public service idiots are continuing to destroy the infrastructure for their own personal purposes.
So get ready to pay a whole lot of money for IRS equipment. And renew your 40 year old radar mapping skills just to get on the ground.
We are going backwards. Courtesy of public servants.
You do know that Nav Canada is a private, not for profit company and not the government, right?

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sure do. I am self admitted dumb, but not that dumb.

Do you know the non profit is going to scream for money at the first chance they get? You know......like bombardier and Pratt & Whitney.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

confusedalot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:16 pm Sure do. I am self admitted dumb, but not that dumb.

Do you know the non profit is going to scream for money at the first chance they get? You know......like bombardier and Pratt & Whitney.
Sad reality is if they scream for money it'll be from us in the form of higher fees.

16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

confusedalot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:16 pm
Do you know the non profit is going to scream for money at the first chance they get?
Why would they do that when they have been making more money than they have needed for almost the entire time they have existed. They have also reduced the user fees and give money back to the airlines every year.

Return to “General Comments”