80k for a government chief pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

80k for a government chief pilot

Post by digits_ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Am I missing something?

80k/year for a chief pilot for the government of saskatchewan? WTF?

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=131216
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by goingnowherefast » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 pm

That should be the line pilot salary. Hopefully there's a bunch of perks in there, 5 weeks vacation, incredible pension, 200% RRSP option, top notch benefits.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by confusedalot » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Sounds a bit wrong. Even a TC inspector with a minimum atpl and no responsibility makes 100K to start.

I am surprised.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5317
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by North Shore » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 pm

well, doing the math on the top level mentioned, it works out to $103 a year..plus there's the pension, benefits, etc..not that bad a gig, for the right person..
---------- ADS -----------
  
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by goingnowherefast » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Still wouldn't do it for 103 grand. Maybe 100 grand base pay, then a decent something extra for every plane responsible for.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by digits_ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:47 pm

North Shore wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 pm
well, doing the math on the top level mentioned, it works out to $103 a year..plus there's the pension, benefits, etc..not that bad a gig, for the right person..
But you wouldn't get the top level to start, would you? Yet you do the job and have the responsibilities from day one.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Schooner69A
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: The Okanagan

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by Schooner69A » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:51 pm

The salary level quoted for a Chief Pilot position is extremely low. I retired from a line pilot position in Atlantic Canada over 15 years ago making just over $100000..
---------- ADS -----------
  

valleyboy
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 4:05 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by valleyboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:57 am

But government job, so only work about half as hard as the private sector :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
  

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2416
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Negative sequencial vortex

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by Meatservo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 am

When the OMNR was advertising for a chief pilot a few years ago, I was similarly surprised by the salary. It seemed a lot lower than what you might expect, and a lot lower than what I assumed the CL-215 pilots or even the DHC-6 pilots were being paid. Certainly lower than what a decent DHC-6 pilot would make working for a commercial air service.
---------- ADS -----------
  
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by lownslow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:15 pm

What should a chief pilot be worth, and why?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3051
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by Bede » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm

It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots. I think at my company, you get base salary + $20k or something like that. In exchange, you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by digits_ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots. I think at my company, you get base salary + $20k or something like that. In exchange, you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
I find it hard to believe the saskatchewan government captains would be making 60k or less. But I'm happy to admit governments have surprised me before...
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by goingnowherefast » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots. I think at my company, you get base salary + $20k or something like that. In exchange, you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
Set your own schedule, good one! :lol:

Constantly stuck to your phone, always putting out fires.
Jim doesn't like flying with Susan so gotta sort out the scheduling mess even though it's 7am, and you just crawled out of bed hoping to be in the office for 9am.
Bob just called in sick and nobody else is available to fly. So despite being Friday night, and you were just about to crack a beer, guess which chief pilot is going to fill in for Bob and not be home till midnight.
Don't worry, it will be better next week, except your training captain got a call from AC and gave his notice. He had been in the pool for a year, and weren't sure if/when his phone call was going to come, so made it hard for you to plan. Anyway, good for him, it's always been his dream. He has given 10 years of dedicated service, so you can't really complain. Now you're going to be digging through resumes and interviewing for a week, on top of your normal duties. Then your new candidate needs to give her current boss 2 weeks notice as well. That's great for her character, you like that, but it's such a pain in the ass because now your're short a pilot for a week. Guess who fills in! Guess who trains the new gal, since it was your training captain quitting that started this mess.
Things finally calm down for a few weeks, then one afternoon a guy from NavCanada calls. One of your King Airs declared an emergency and is returning to Saskatoon. Apparently something is wrong with the gear. They called the fire trucks, big excitement, lands and nothing happens. Maintenance determines it was a burnt out light bulb, big relief. Except now TC wants to know what happened and you need to make a CADOR response.

You may get to set your own schedule, but it doesn't always accommodate personal plans.
---------- ADS -----------
  

C.W.E.
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by C.W.E. » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:46 pm

I fail to see a problem here.

If being chief pilot is a poor position don't apply for it.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by confusedalot » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm

The above post is absolutely spot on.

Never been the chief, but was the right hand man. And he was my friend.

To this day, I would NEVER want to be the top dog.

And they pay crap to the guy who actually has enough guts who stands up and takes it on.....
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

C.W.E.
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by C.W.E. » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:31 pm

A chief pilot is the fall guy between top management and T.C. and there is no way you can really help the pilot pool.

Back in the seventies I was chief pilot for a regional airline and got so fed up with the system I took T.C. to court to force them to enforce the laws they are responsible for.

It was a very time consuming stressful period in my career and in the end even though I won my case it really did not change the system because the corruption is so entrenched in the political end of aviation it is hopeless trying to do the job a chief pilot is supposed to do.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
daedalusx
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by daedalusx » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:26 pm
Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots. I think at my company, you get base salary + $20k or something like that. In exchange, you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
Set your own schedule, good one! :lol:

Constantly stuck to your phone, always putting out fires.
Jim doesn't like flying with Susan so gotta sort out the scheduling mess even though it's 7am, and you just crawled out of bed hoping to be in the office for 9am.
Bob just called in sick and nobody else is available to fly. So despite being Friday night, and you were just about to crack a beer, guess which chief pilot is going to fill in for Bob and not be home till midnight.
Don't worry, it will be better next week, except your training captain got a call from AC and gave his notice. He had been in the pool for a year, and weren't sure if/when his phone call was going to come, so made it hard for you to plan. Anyway, good for him, it's always been his dream. He has given 10 years of dedicated service, so you can't really complain. Now you're going to be digging through resumes and interviewing for a week, on top of your normal duties. Then your new candidate needs to give her current boss 2 weeks notice as well. That's great for her character, you like that, but it's such a pain in the ass because now your're short a pilot for a week. Guess who fills in! Guess who trains the new gal, since it was your training captain quitting that started this mess.
Things finally calm down for a few weeks, then one afternoon a guy from NavCanada calls. One of your King Airs declared an emergency and is returning to Saskatoon. Apparently something is wrong with the gear. They called the fire trucks, big excitement, lands and nothing happens. Maintenance determines it was a burnt out light bulb, big relief. Except now TC wants to know what happened and you need to make a CADOR response.

You may get to set your own schedule, but it doesn't always accommodate personal plans.
Nailed it ! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by seven-oh-nooo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 am

Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots.
Dollar-for-dollar I make something like 105% of what my top-tier pilots make. If you look at it from an hourly point of view I average out to something like 40% of what a pilot makes. And to be clear, that's time at work I'm referencing not air time or flight time.
Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. But seriously, is your company looking for a cp?
---------- ADS -----------
  

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by DaveP » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:12 am

daedalusx wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 pm
goingnowherefast wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:26 pm
Bede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm
It may surprise some, but CP's rarely make much more than pilots. I think at my company, you get base salary + $20k or something like that. In exchange, you get weekends off, set your own schedule, sleep in your own bed every night and don't have to deal with jet lag.
Set your own schedule, good one! :lol:

Constantly stuck to your phone, always putting out fires.
Jim doesn't like flying with Susan so gotta sort out the scheduling mess even though it's 7am, and you just crawled out of bed hoping to be in the office for 9am.
Bob just called in sick and nobody else is available to fly. So despite being Friday night, and you were just about to crack a beer, guess which chief pilot is going to fill in for Bob and not be home till midnight.
Don't worry, it will be better next week, except your training captain got a call from AC and gave his notice. He had been in the pool for a year, and weren't sure if/when his phone call was going to come, so made it hard for you to plan. Anyway, good for him, it's always been his dream. He has given 10 years of dedicated service, so you can't really complain. Now you're going to be digging through resumes and interviewing for a week, on top of your normal duties. Then your new candidate needs to give her current boss 2 weeks notice as well. That's great for her character, you like that, but it's such a pain in the ass because now your're short a pilot for a week. Guess who fills in! Guess who trains the new gal, since it was your training captain quitting that started this mess.
Things finally calm down for a few weeks, then one afternoon a guy from NavCanada calls. One of your King Airs declared an emergency and is returning to Saskatoon. Apparently something is wrong with the gear. They called the fire trucks, big excitement, lands and nothing happens. Maintenance determines it was a burnt out light bulb, big relief. Except now TC wants to know what happened and you need to make a CADOR response.

You may get to set your own schedule, but it doesn't always accommodate personal plans.
Nailed it ! :lol:
Ha! Too funny. Did you ever nail it! That sleep in your own bed thing and jet lag made me laugh too because that’s the perception from the line. Emails and phone calls all week long at all hours! You better have a great relationship with your spouse to put up with that job. I don’t even want to calculate the extra time put in over the years. It’s all a wash anyway!
Dave
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7706
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by iflyforpie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Is that being one of probably a few CPs for a national airline or a 703/704 CP for a 100% turnover bottom-feeder?

Because I’d imagine there’d be a difference.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by goingnowherefast » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 pm

National airline CPs get to short out problems for just the YYZ 737 fleet. 703/704 CPs get to sort out problems for the whole company. At the end of the day I'd imagine it's all the same shit, just different pile.

Bottom line, 80k or even 100k isn't enough to be a government chief pilot. Maybe if they only had 1 plane and 3 other pilots.
---------- ADS -----------
  

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 am

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by seven-oh-nooo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:12 am

iflyforpie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm
Is that being one of probably a few CPs for a national airline or a 703/704 CP for a 100% turnover bottom-feeder?
You got me on that one, I'm proudly one of them bottom-feeding scumbags. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bully a pilot into taking off at max gross.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7706
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by iflyforpie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:42 am

Not over max gross? You must be new.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Great Plains

Re: 80k for a government chief pilot

Post by planett » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 pm

I would leave aviation entirely before taking on that job again, even for twice the money. Maybe it's just me.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”