Requirements for day stays

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BaldChewbacca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Requirements for day stays

Post by BaldChewbacca »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer. Basically I'm wondering if a company is required to find suitable accommodation for their pilots if they are staying for the day (within their 14 or 15 hour day).

I work for a 703 in Ontario and often have to wait at an airport for 7+ hours, often without any way into or out of town. Are there any CAR requirements or even labour requirements (say if it's -40c or +35c and humid).

If there are any references for this I would be greatly appreciative!
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Requirements for day stays

Post by av8ts »

Not sure about CARS however Jazz pilots have it in their contact that stops of 5 hours or more and you get a hotel room

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

There is no CARs requirement, unless you are making use of a split duty day.
If your company has an SMS program, you can make an argument for a proactive fatigue mitigation strategy.

OTOH, having spent some time in most of the hotels in most of the communities in Northern Ontario, you may find the aeroplane to be a more comfortable accommodation...

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

BaldChewbacca wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:09 am Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer. Basically I'm wondering if a company is required to find suitable accommodation for their pilots if they are staying for the day (within their 14 or 15 hour day).

I work for a 703 in Ontario and often have to wait at an airport for 7+ hours, often without any way into or out of town. Are there any CAR requirements or even labour requirements (say if it's -40c or +35c and humid).

If there are any references for this I would be greatly appreciative!
You know those tiny little “terminal buildings” at each of those airports in NWO? That’s about all you need to be “taken care of” in terms of safety from the cold or extreme heat. My advice would be to get creative. Regulation wise, the only thing forcing an employer to give you something like that that I know of is if they want you to do a split duty day or if you book off fatigued.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Unfortunately there is no regulation that prevents what you are hoping for. On those bitterly cold or hot days you have the terminal building which satisfies pretty much everything.

That said, if you are doing a split day than suitable accommodation is absolutely defined in the CARs and the terminal certainly does not qualify.

I do feel your pain as I have spent many many hours in those same buildings you are.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I’ve always just hung out in the airplane on those and hopped out to chat with friends who came and went on their own sched flights. The day always passes quickly enough.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Unfortunately that's what made me turn my back on bush flying. As the exploration and tourism work dwindled, it boiled down to flying somewhere, sitting around all day waiting for people to go to meetings or snoop around environmental sites. If we were lucky it was a trip to somewhere in the bush where we could at least get a line in the water or light a camp fire. Increasingly, it became airport terminal shacks, or a plastic chair at the band office. The "dream" kind of died there, I think.

I still spend a lot of time waiting away from home, but at least now I get a room and/or a car and am able to entertain myself along with my crew for the day. I had a passion for bush flying that is not exactly satisfied in the "705" realm, but I make do with the regular time off, larger paycheque, and being treated like a real person.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Meatservo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 am ...and being treated like a real person.
That's why so many small companies struggle to keep pilots. Look at the poor guy who started this whole thread.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Just hop an Uber into town and expense it! Book yourself into a suite at a downtown hotel, unless there is a suitable one closer to the airport.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Just hop an Uber into town and expense it! Book yourself into a suite at a downtown hotel, unless there is a suitable one closer to the airport.
How do you pay for it?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Petty cash?
Company VISA?
KFC??

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Uber in Pikangikum, haha. I guess it is April 1st :lol:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

NotDirty! wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:19 pm Petty cash?
Company VISA?
KFC??
Pay them in Kash

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

NotDirty! wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm Just hop an Uber into town and expense it! Book yourself into a suite at a downtown hotel, unless there is a suitable one closer to the airport.
It’s cute that you joke about there being Uber in any of the places the OP is referring to.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I’d say start looking for a better job.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

NotDirty! wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm Just hop an Uber into town and expense it! Book yourself into a suite at a downtown hotel, unless there is a suitable one closer to the airport.
Uber?! Downtown?! :shock:

Tell me where this "bush" is and I'll quit my job that very day!

Return to “General Comments”