RPAS Co-Pilot System Trials -Thoughts?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RollingThunder
Rank 0
Rank 0

RPAS Co-Pilot System Trials -Thoughts?

Post by RollingThunder »

APRIL 1 – PRESS RELEASE

TBSC Approves Trials for RPAS Co-Pilot System

By Lauren Nagel

April 1, 2019

At a press conference this morning, the Transport Board of Safety Canada announced plans to go ahead with trials for a new co-pilot system meant to alleviate the pilot shortage currently faced by Canada. While the testing period will last several years, the new President of the TBSC, David Arpas, predicts commercial implementation by 2024.

“The current pilot shortage has put pressure on the system to come up with creative solutions to meet the demand for air travel, this is one of them.” The proposed framework will utilize state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology to replace the current role of the co-pilot or first officer. While the role of captain will continue to be occupied by a human pilot, the test will have the right seat duties handed over to a pre-programmed remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS).

When asked about the safety of this measure, Arpas cited the success of self-driving cars and their low accident rate. “This testing period will confirm whether this is a viable option, but we have been very happy with the results of UA-, I mean, RPAS regulation so far.” He went on to reference the drone security programs currently underway at Gatwick and Heathrow airports.

Only time will tell if the program is to go forward, but pilots could expect to be seated next to an RPAS first officer within the next five years.
---------- ADS -----------

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: RPAS Co-Pilot System Trials -Thoughts?

Post by Dash.Trash »

A bit late for April fools...

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Considering airliners are pretending to be dolphins and plowing themselves into the ground in dramatic fashion, I think the public perception of pilotless airliners has sort of taken a very similar nosedive.

Going along for the fun of it, I imagine that scene from Walle where the captain is wrestling control from the robot, classic 2001 Space Odyssey humor.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Honestly flying a wide body airliner single pilot would be my dream job.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Victory wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:42 am Honestly flying a wide body airliner single pilot would be my dream job.
That's just called long haul trucking :mrgreen: :lol:

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

So when shit hits the fan and you pass control to the robo-pilot, it's now seeing the same crap data the automation is using and nosedives the plane as well? Let's throw in some bad weather, say a thunderstorm over the Atlantic at night, your single human pilot and useless robo-pilot is just not sufficient.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

How long are you allowed to lock yourself into the lav under this system?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Haha, relief tube

WeatherMaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WeatherMaster »

Thought the flight crew of the future was going to be a pilot and a dog? The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches anything!

Return to “General Comments”