Issues with the Aviation Document Booklet

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Issues with the Aviation Document Booklet

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I have seen an increasing number of issues with the ADB or as it is more popularly known the “blue book” pilot license.

First many but not all pilots were automatically issued with the new 10 year booklet last year. Those that did not get one are almost certainly carrying an expired ADB which means your licence and ratings are not valid. If in doubt check the expiry date on the page with your picture.

Secondly for those that did get a new 10 year booklet there is a gotcha on the page with the medical sticker. This has 2 dates the one in small print that lists the date of your last medical and the one in bold print that list the date of issue. The date of issue is meaningless with respect to your medical validity. You have to look at the date of your medical and then determine how long your medical is good for which is dependant on the class of medical and your age.

Finally you must sign your booklet at the bottom of the 3rd page for the booklet to be valid
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Issues with the Aviation Document Booklet

Post by C.W.E. »

I looked at that blue abortion that I keep in my junk drawer and checked the expiry date on it, it was 2015.

If I my licenses and ratings are invalid in the Peoples Republic of Canada does that invalidate all my FAA licenses I flew under for decades back when I flew for a living?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm I looked at that blue abortion that I keep in my junk drawer and checked the expiry date on it, it was 2015.

If I my licenses and ratings are invalid in the Peoples Republic of Canada does that invalidate all my FAA licenses I flew under for decades back when I flew for a living?
Don't think so, but it all depends.....

If the FAA ratings were predicated on a foreign licence validation, then yes. For example, I had one special purpose FAA ATPL restricted to one tail number only; no exam, no flight test. Something like that would be invalid.

If you did the full FAA ATPL, of course you would not have a problem. Just reactivated mine with a simple medical, no problems.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the FAA site

All paper certificate holders cannot exercise the privileges of their PAPER certificates after March 31, 2013. This includes all certificates that are issued under 14 CFR Part 63 and 65.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm Secondly for those that did get a new 10 year booklet there is a gotcha on the page with the medical sticker. This has 2 dates the one in small print that lists the date of your last medical and the one in bold print that list the date of issue. The date of issue is meaningless with respect to your medical validity. You have to look at the date of your medical and then determine how long your medical is good for which is dependant on the class of medical and your age.
Also, if you renew your medical 90 days prior to your expiration date, your new expiration date is the previous expiration date, plus 1 year...

Hard to follow sometimes, thanks to EXCEL I keep all my expiry & currency dates on file...

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Oh it’s like PPC renewal?

I often wonder how much of that 1st day of 13th month applies in aviation. Annual inspections? Out of phase items? Currency?

The CARs are pretty vague or difficult to wade through sometimes.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:35 pm
I often wonder how much of that 1st day of 13th month applies in aviation. Annual inspections?
Yes
Out of phase items?
no
Currency?
no

And the gotcha: Airworthiness directives with 12 month intervals, that you might like to get done along with an annual inspection: no.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”