First Job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Alexis5555
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Job

Post by Alexis5555 »

Hi everyone!

First time posting here. Here’s my situation; I’m at the tail end of my CPL training with approximately 170TT, ME-IFR already done and I wrote the IATRA two weeks ago. I have a college degree not related to aviation. I should be done by reaching 200TT in a month or so. My question is; As a low time pilot(fresh CPL), what are my chances to be hired somewhere up north in the country as a first officer on a PC12 or light piston twin? Do I waste my time searching for that kind of position? I know Northern Ontario is maybe my best bet for what I’m looking for. It is worth a road trip? Knowing I need to drive 20hrs to get there.

If it’s out of my reach, I would consider doing my instructor rating than being on the ramp for 1 or 2 years. My main goal is to work for an airline in the future.

If anyone has some tips for me to get my first aviation job , or maybe has been in my situation lately, which I’m sure many were, feel free to comment, I would appreciate hearing from you!!!

Thank you very much
---------- ADS -----------

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Job

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

my personal opinion is to not chase the metal. do you like instructing? Have you ever had any role in a teaching position in the past? I think that is very important. Instructing will get your time up quick at the right place, but if youre not a people person youll hate it. Since youre gonna be applying for the first job, you wont have as much variety to pick and choose. In reality, id still only consider applying to jobs youre serious about and would want to fly. e.g dont apply to air tindi if you hate being away from major cities, love warm weather. The rest of it is common sense. I think a lot of places are okay if you apply online, especially if they have hiring links where a drive in might not be needed....I know some places dont like walk ins.....

Alexis5555
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alexis5555 »

Thanks for the reply, I’ll consider instructing for sure in my career pathway to achieve my goal to work for an airline. My dad and sister are actually teachers so I know i’ll always have someone willing to help if I have any issues with some student. I’m an easy going person who can adapt to different type of personalities. The point is; even if I would dedicate myself if I become an instructor, I want to explore the opportunities I have to work in 703/704 operations before choosing the pathway i’ll use!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Alexis,

A reasonable first job, depending upon your willingness to travel, could be flying survey. I know that Leading Edge Geomatics (based in Fredericton, New Brunswick) and First Base Solutions (offices in Markham, Ontario) consider low time CPLs for their first job. Both operate 172's and 206's, and light twins. There are probably other survey companies hiring too.

I'm pleased to think that you could apply your skills, fly, and build experience, and then, if it still catches your thoughts, move on to instructing, when you have more personal experience to pass on to your students.

AppleOTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AppleOTP »

Alexis,

If you're willing to move, as you should be low time, and you want northern/bush flying I would suggest NWO. Specifically, Superior Airways out of Red Lake. They treated me well when I was there.

Usual progression for guys was Ramp -> 182 -> Right seat on (What they needed, either 208 or PA31). Learn the bird so that when the next captain leaves, you're a quick and easy upgrade. They didn't push you if it was questionable weather. (Even if Pilot X goes, and you're not comfortable, they're not going to push you).

I will say, Summers are long days, and winter has cold days. Good bunch of guys there, but it's what you make of it too.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Consider starting on a ground position. 6 months with a salary well above FOs pay + benefits. After that, straight to the right seat of a turboprop.
Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=131751

Alexis5555
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alexis5555 »

Thank you very much everyone for all the good advices! It will surely help me finding the right job.
igorcanuck wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:53 pm Consider starting on a ground position. 6 months with a salary well above FOs pay + benefits. After that, straight to the right seat of a turboprop.
It seems a good idea to me, it is only 6 months on the ground and then to flightline? Or it could be a lot more?

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Alexis5555 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am Thank you very much everyone for all the good advices! It will surely help me finding the right job.
igorcanuck wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:53 pm Consider starting on a ground position. 6 months with a salary well above FOs pay + benefits. After that, straight to the right seat of a turboprop.
It seems a good idea to me, it is only 6 months on the ground and then to flightline? Or it could be a lot more?
Usually 6 months, if you enter the company with all requirements to go flight line. Some people start when they are still working on their CPL or even PPL, then, of course, it will take more time.

Return to “General Comments”