What is it like being an aviation tech?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kian78
Rank 0
Rank 0

What is it like being an aviation tech?

Post by Kian78 »

Evening,

I stumbled across this forum because I wanted to hear what people actually in this industry had to say about it.
I currently work as an HVAC Tech in training and, I have only two semesters left with school as well.
The trade is good but lately I haven't been feeling unsatisfied with it.
This trade I'm in kills your joints; knee's are aching.. Very long hours: work-life can be difficult and can't say I am enjoying all the small crawl-spaces, attics and tiny furnace rooms.

I've always been intrigued by the job title 'Aircraft technician' since my high-school teacher mentioned it to me years ago. I have been looking into it the past week including on the job videos.
It looks and sounds awesome: working on a huge Boeing, getting into and taking apart all the smaller things that make it work.
Looks really exciting but, the information online is very limiting surprisingly..

Not a lot of information regarding life of an Aircraft tech and I wanted to inquire more so here I am :)

Anyone here willing to share their experiences in this industry?
Is it rewarding, physically tough/back breaking? lots of hands on work and, whats the work-life like?
Would you say Aircraft Techs are in demand: is it hard to find a job?
I hear the typical pay is between 60 - 90k yearly; about the same as HVAC to be frank.

Thanks for the help!
---------- ADS -----------

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: What is it like being an aviation tech?

Post by Meecka »

Kian78 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:10 pm kills your joints; knee's are aching.. Very long hours: work-life can be difficult and can't say I am enjoying all the small crawl-spaces.
Same in Aircraft maintenance. Add to your list potential for lots of night shifts, working out in the cold/hot/rain.
working on a huge Boeing, getting into and taking apart all the smaller things that make it work
You likely won't start out on that huge Boeing. More likely to be working on piston singles and twins for several years before you get to the Airlines. If you're "lucky" and get on with an airline right away, there's a very good chance you'll be doing small jobs for quite some time. You are required to do an apprenticeship (been a while but I think it works out to roughly 3 years once you're done the 2 year college program) and then you apply to get your license.
Is it rewarding, physically tough/back breaking? lots of hands on work and, whats the work-life like?
It can be a physically hard job. you'll spend many hours crawling around in shitty places, standing on concrete floors in work boots. There will be the requirement to lift heavy things. Unless you're doing the mountain of paperwork that comes with it, it's all hands on. Work life and rewarding are what you make of it. If this is something you truly want to do for a living, it'll be rewarding for you.
I hear the typical pay is between 60 - 90k yearly
I'm not sure what the exact amounts are these days for an apprentice, but I do know that for the most part its quite a bit less than the figures quoted above. To give you reference- the job I had before this one, I was making 54k a year- as a licensed AME with close to 10 years on the license. The money in this industry ain't that great for the level of responsibility we have. You'd be better off in HVAC for the money.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I'll just say that I have seen more AME's swap careers into HVAC then the other way round.

But the hiring outlook is good. Air Canada is hiring avionics apprentices direct into YYZ now. 20-ish years old and straight to the airline you wouldn't have to worry about those days hunched into all those piston/turbine hell holes.

Kian78
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kian78 »

Thanks for the honest and thorough replies.

If I could go back in time a few years I think I would of went for Avionics to be frank however,
going off the information you guys have given me perhaps it is best I stay in HVAC then..
I doubt the physical stress is as bad as HVAC though which makes me think this industry is better in the long run..?
Many guys in my industry have screwed up bodies in their older age.

Avionics looks really cool and I think I will still keep it in the back of my mind.
Its good to receive some information about the industry from the inside.
A lot of the time when your looking at careers: people tend to romanticize and highlight just the pros of an industry, ignoring other areas.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Having multiple trades is never a bad thing. The thing about Aircraft maintenance that ruins it for me is that most aeroplanes fly during the day, and during the week. When they're not flying they get fixed. Nights and weekends. That's not always the case but it sure is where I work. Last job I was on, the tin smashers made $35/ hour or more, pretty sure AME's make much less.

Your call. Do it for the love of aeroplanes, the variety of equipment, the wow factor. The schedule and money just aren't there for me to consider it. If I were a tin smasher going for a dual ticket I'd look at becoming a FIG, or a refridge mechanic. They relate to your field and the dual ticket should pay more or at the very least increase chances of employment.

30+YrAME
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 30+YrAME »

To Kian78:

Good advice to anyone who is contemplating a career change: "Do your homework"...which is what you are doing...KUDOS to you for THAT! However; this MAY not be the BEST place for that. I would suggest that if you were serious about researching wages, benefits, hours, conditions, etc...that you get advice from NUMEROUS sources. One such source would be Professional Associations (such as the Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Associations that are distributed regionally across Canada). One such example is the AME Association of Ontario: https://ame-ont.com/

Here; you would receive a throrough, unbiased, wide spectrum view of all considerations.

The Canadian aviation industry has NEVER had better times (at least in the last 30 yrs)...Having said that...the wages are still not in line with the responsibility of certifying an Aircraft as "Airworthy" (if you think about it; signing a legal document to release an aircraft that carries anywhere from 1 to 555 souls is NEVER a task that carries zero responsibility...Thank goodness for skilled, qualified & professional flight crew!)

Having said that...the Basic Training Programs at the Community Colleges are quite a bit more costly these days than when I went to school...which is another consideration,of course...a 2 year full-time college program in Avionics or Maintenance is a substantial investment in time AND $$.

I know that I made the right decision in 1986...to invest what was then a MUCH lower commitment of time (52 weeks) AND $ (under $1,000)...THAT investment was the BEST investment I have EVER made...netting me a return in the 10s of thousands of times return (not JUST in $$ but the Travel, good friends, lifelong learning and career satisfaction)!

If I had to do it NOW...I would probably still do it...however it would be a MUCH more difficult decision...It's like our parents' told us: "If you find a career/job that you LOVE (have a passion for)...you will never work a day in your life!"

I wish you good luck whatever decision you make!

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ad1445 ... 0du3d6e804

KF(its all about the crap) in Kelowna - $17.24 a/hr for a avionics apprentice. The ups loader position below this ad pays the same.

UPS is currently looking for Preloaders to work from the Kelowna Package Center.

Position Title: Preloader
Position Type: Permanent Part-time
Work Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00AM* (based on operational requirement)*
Workdays: Monday to Friday*
*Scheduled shifts are based on operational requirements*

Preloaders will be working in a warehouse environment where there will be various room temperature. This is considered a physically demanding position. The Preloaders are responsible for the following duties:

Loading, unloading, sorting, and scanning of packages that comes into the center.
Lifting, lowering and sliding packages weighing between 10lbs to 70lbs.
Working close to conveyor and roller belts, inside package cars and air canisters.
Reading addresses, postal codes and identifying dangerous good packages.
Qualifications and Skills

Available to work Monday to Friday*
Excellent Verbal Communications skills;
Comfortable working in a warehouse environment with various climatic conditions
Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
Ability to lift up between 10lbs up to 70lbs (32kg) unassisted;
Willingness to work in accordance to a prescribe method for safety and compliance.
All candidates must go through series of interviews, background and reference checks.

What we offer:

Tuition Reimbursement: up to $3000/per semester for your tuition and registration fees
Training and Development: training provided for all positions
Weekly compensation: weekly pay, effective starting rate of $17.00/hr
Guaranteed wage progression: guaranteed wage progression with a guaranteed top rate
Generous benefits package: MSP coverage, extended health, dental and pension plan
Promotion from within: lots of room for career advancement in many areas of the business
Employee discounts: employee discounts available online through UPSers
Most of what UPS is offering KF most definitely doesn't. Biggest oddity with KF is not paying out the OT you do until 6 weeks later, but there is other similar BS going on.
Disregard the Indeed high rating also(check out the thumbs down). Many of those are greenhorn newbs still mouthfoaming at being in a hangar.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

bUt YoU gEt To WoRk On PlAnEs AND In ThE oKaNaGaN!!!1!!!!!1!1!1!!!! :toimonster:

You’re not still there, are you PR? Think I’m coming up on 17 years free of that place. Except starting apprentice was $13.47 and I left at a hair under $20 top apprentice wage plus the Barry Bucks. Remember what things cost In 2002 vs now? The half million dollar houses were all on Dilworth or had waterfront... not a 30 year old fixer upper in Rutland.

No apprentice should be starting at under $25 in the Brokeanagan... period.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Kian78
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kian78 »

Sorry but what is an FIG?
And, Refrigeration mechanic for aviation?
Looked it up and didint find much; think someone can elaborate a little?

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Hi Pie

No, no effing way Im there and its been the same amount of time being KF free.
I still the know a few guys there who haven't been purged due to their age. They give me the up to date info. Its basically a "lipstick on a pig" scenario. They dressed up the place but the core values are the same.
Money is probably the shitiest going in Canada in aviation, payroll or contract. So it makes their ad, which touts all the local "wineries, golf, skiing" etc hilarious. Unless KF is giving out passes you wont be affording any of it on what they pay.
They are pinning their hopes on recruiting right out of schools as next to no experienced guys will go there.

Couldn't happen to a nicer place.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

More leave aviation to go do HVAC than vice a versa.
I also know of nobody coming into aviation with a hvac ticket or any uther trade ticket.
I know LOTS of aviation people who left aviation for other trades/jobs.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Air handlers are a lot more comfortable than laying on your gut in the avionics bay of a Dash-8 for an hour or two.

Air handlers are a lot more comfortable than crawling through the man holes in a fuel tank of a 767.

Think about it, seats are where the money is made on a plane and they take up space. So that leaves little tiny claustrophobic places left to house avionics, slat actuators, shitter tanks, shitter vacuum pumps, etc... and those are places that YOU the mechanic has to go to.

Return to “General Comments”