Salary, benefits, and reality.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sean dark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Salary, benefits, and reality.

Post by Sean dark »

Hello everyone, I'm checking job postings almost everyday I am wondering why no one mentions how would the salary or the benefits be. The fact is why would I bother applying for a job that pays ke than what I am already making. Knowing what to expect should make the life what easier for the candidates and the company's. A lot of other jobs are being honest and mentioning the pay scale .but aviation related job whether its flying job, dispatch, fkifmght following ramp ... they are always a mystery.
---------- ADS -----------

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Salary, benefits, and reality.

Post by dogfood »

Probably because the salary sucks and they are embarrassed to publicly post it..

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

Pilot pay is complicated and a large number of pilots aren’t as smart or valuable as they think they are.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

dogfood wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:38 pm Probably because the salary sucks and they are embarrassed to publicly post it..
That's exactly why. Every other industry posts salary and benefit info, usually as the first thing on a job posting, after all that's what attracts people to apply.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Pilots are attracted by metal, money, and schedule. Typically a cool metal carrot dangle goes way further in attracting people.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

There have been companies that have posted jobs here that I know for a fact offer some of the best compensation/retirement packages in the industry, yet have not mentioned in their post, nor are their employees allowed to disclose it here. It goes both ways, you want info? Get off the computer and go interact with industry peers.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 am There have been companies that have posted jobs here that I know for a fact offer some of the best compensation/retirement packages in the industry, yet have not mentioned in their post, nor are their employees allowed to disclose it here. It goes both ways, you want info? Get off the computer and go interact with industry peers.
I think you're missing the point. Everyone knows that is the way we do it now. The question the OP was posing was why do companies not include the salary information.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

In many cases it is also negotiable

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

In my opinion, employers who are actively looking for employees should always post the pay rates, even if it is a range at the start of the ad. They claim they want to attract the best people, but I won't waste my time if you're going to offer some low ball compensation package.

There is no reason that they can't, i don't even know of anyone who's legally required not to talk about their salary either.

I would say that 99% of the ads that don't post compensation numbers are just embarrassed by their low wages, the other 1% are just clueless as to how the world operates.

MOST people don't work for fun, they work for compensation. Then they wonder why they can't find employees.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Or what about those ads where you only get an email address and you don't know for which company or even in which country you'd work...

"But send us all your personal info in a resume and we might tell you!"

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 am There have been companies that have posted jobs here that I know for a fact offer some of the best compensation/retirement packages in the industry, yet have not mentioned in their post, nor are their employees allowed to disclose it here. It goes both ways, you want info? Get off the computer and go interact with industry peers.
So what's your suggestion? Just phone up the company and ask them their pilot salary out of the blue? Or waste their time and your own time going to an interview to find out? The air operators complain they get stacks and stacks of resumes, if they posted their pay then maybe some people wouldn't bother even applying. As for the shiny aluminium carrot dangling I'd fly a C-150 towing a banner if the pay was reasonable and the aircraft safe over some cruddy pay FO job in a 1900.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I don’t have a suggestion. I have always applied for the jobs I wanted then negotiated a salary or accepted a fair offer or walked away. Life’s tough eh?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Im getting off topic but i applied at certain air operator once and they wouldn't tell you your salary or even if you were hired until you did their 5 days of ground school, on your own time of course. That was 12 or so years ago, I realize things are better now but the crap that the aviation industry gets away with would never fly in the real world and in some cases is probably illegal.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

https://www.quora.com/What-do-pilots-an ... lic-doesnt
Mitch Douglas answer (if the link doesn't work properly), especially #8

Return to “General Comments”