Transport Canada Website Down

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Transport Canada Website Down

Post by ahramin »

Is it just me?
The service is unavailable.
How the ... am I supposed to look up if and oil temperature gauge is required equipment?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Transport Canada Website Down

Post by photofly »

... because the regulations aren't on the Transport Canada website :-) ?

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... lText.html
605.14 No person shall conduct a take-off in a power-driven aircraft for the purpose of day VFR flight unless it is equipped with
(f) an oil pressure indicator for each engine employing an oil pressure system;
(h) an oil temperature indicator for each air-cooled engine having a separate oil system;

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Remember the days when you could just walk into the Transport Canada's office and ask someone a question?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Doh, good point Photofly. Thank you.

Now if only I knew the difference between a separate and non separate oil system.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's a separate oil system if it's not attached to another engine. i.e. if the oil system is shared by two engines, you only need one temperature gauge.

I don't think you're going to get very far claiming that you have an oil system but you don't need a working oil temperature gauge.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

Maybe, just hopefully maybe, the government of Canada is updating their website so that it looks like it has kept up with change. A website whose front page looks like it's still stuck in 2004? Not to mention navigating that website...

I don't know about anyone else, but I would actually appreciate an app version of the CARs, and the DAH. One that is easy to scroll through, and has pages for specific sections... That doesn't involve loading the entirety of the CARs onto one page, and then scrolling you to where you wanted to read!! How many times do I need to read through the "definitions?"

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

KissPlusOne wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 am Maybe, just hopefully maybe, the government of Canada is updating their website so that it looks like it has kept up with change. A website whose front page looks like it's still stuck in 2004? Not to mention navigating that website...

I don't know about anyone else, but I would actually appreciate an app version of the CARs, and the DAH. One that is easy to scroll through, and has pages for specific sections... That doesn't involve loading the entirety of the CARs onto one page, and then scrolling you to where you wanted to read!! How many times do I need to read through the "definitions?"
You must be a millenial.

The CAR's works great now if you just have some patience and let it load to the section you requested.

Why the hell would they need to update the "look" of their website, it's a government information site and doesn't have the following of squirrel chasers that can't focus for more than 30 seconds to warrant changing the layout constantly.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Personally I like having the entire CARs on one page - makes it trivial to search. I can't stand having all the Standards on different pages. And someone should introduce whoever is responsible to the concept of hyperlinking, so that each regulation is linked to its standard, where there is one. Hyperlinks were invented in about 1980.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

Maybe I'm just used to efficiency and streamlined processes. I'm naturally a very lazy person, so if I see an easier/more efficient way of doing something, most often I will opt for it. In the case of the government of Canada website, it feels like pulling teeth with a rusty set of pliers whenever I go on (not that often).

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am
KissPlusOne wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 am Maybe, just hopefully maybe, the government of Canada is updating their website so that it looks like it has kept up with change. A website whose front page looks like it's still stuck in 2004? Not to mention navigating that website...

You must be a millenial.

The CAR's works great now if you just have some patience and let it load to the section you requested.

Why the hell would they need to update the "look" of their website, it's a government information site and doesn't have the following of squirrel chasers that can't focus for more than 30 seconds to warrant changing the layout constantly.
Oh wow.

If you are on your ipad or phone, it would be nice if there was an easier way of just loading the piece of information that you need. But you would need to know where the piece of information is located. And that is the hardest part when looking up regs.

On a desktop or laptop I do like the "everything on one page" approach.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Ah, I see. I have no problems using the site on my Samsung. Change your browser or try requesting the desktop site via internet settings if you have issues.

You can also download the whole document to your device and use the device intuitive search features to quickly locate specific sections.

I don't think people understand the costs involved with updating a site, especially at government level. It's an un needed expense.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

As somebody from TC told me: "Google is your friend. Just do a general search on google and you have a better chance of finding what your looking for than on the TC website"

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Oh man, the "definitions" drive me bonkers

Return to “General Comments”