Need contract PA31-350 single pilot ASAP

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Anonymous1 wrote: Try Borek....flying out of Resolute with 40kts across the runways with 24 hour darkness at -35C for about the same rate after tax.
I work for Borek. Our copilots make around that after tax, the CPTS make consideribly more. Personally if I was to contract out for a short term work my rate would be $500/day fly or not.

I would think $250 with a guaranteed min of 2 weeks work under the table would be alittle better.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
charlie_g
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by charlie_g »

Cat Driver wrote: There is something seriously wrong with your industry guys and girls.

And therein lies your low pay problem.

Cat
One obvious problem (there may be several) is that there are WAY too many pilots out there. Way too many. I don't know if that's because the qualification standards are too low, and/or too many people are willing to blow $40k for the faint hope of actually getting a job.

As long as the supply of pilots stays as high as it is (and has historically been), then these debates about money will carry on ad nauseum. "Future shortages" is clearly something invented by flying schools to drive demand, as "they" have been predicting shortages for years upon years.

Those who think they should be making 3-4 times what anonymous was offering are living in a reality that does not take supply and demand into account, plain and simple. You're worth what the market says you're worth, not what you think you should be worth.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Just to finish this debate, how many PMs from applicants did you get?

Plenty, eh..

Questions answered

thread closed

talkinghead
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by talkinghead »

lets see 150 a day, 15 hr duty day in shitty WX. 10 bucks an hr. REALLY!

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

talkinghead wrote:lets see 150 a day, 15 hr duty day in shitty WX. 10 bucks an hr. REALLY!
I'm to lazy to go and do the math for Air Canada and/or Jazz for the new hires....

Seems like some are hypocrites...

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by shankdown »

I agree with KAG. Its short term & you want a guy with tons of experience to go to northern Ontario and .. around in crap? You're gonna have to pay. Good on ya if you get a guy for $150 a day, but no one is obligated to go because Turbo Prop or Split S say its good money. I'm guessing that (I'm not putting them down, just working on a hunch) they aren't getting paid much to fly right now, and they aren't qualified to be doing that contract, and wish they could be. $150/day is not good money for that, no matter what any of them say. The fact is, even though its a Navajo, guys holding the tickets to fly em can make some great money doin' it. Especially guys that are available to meet those demands (& over Christmas to boot!). I hold a PPC for it, and I'd go and do it if I had the time, and if we had a price worked out. And that price would be about $400/day, plus perdiems, lodging, and transportation. I think I'd go for time and a half for the holidays, too. If they didn't like the price, I'd stay home, happy as a clam, and they could find someone else. Supply and demand. If its full time work where I need them as much as they need me, I'll work for less than I stated. But we're talkin' about a contract in Red Lake here, not 8 weeks in the West Indies. My 2c.

Shankdown

TOGA Descent
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hypocrite

Post by TOGA Descent »

People! You have completely missed to ball on this one. Let’s look at the hypocrisy of this “Advertisement”

Initially this started with “…Please note there is no "learning curve" opportunity. You must be completely competent on day 1 in a "black hole" approach at night in heavy blowing snow with a high crosswind and ice covered runway. This opening is available only for someone who is current, experienced, hardworking, safe and can provide outstanding references…”

The contradiction here are the words “Experienced and Safe”. The approach this person discusses is simply dangerous in a Navajo. I don’t know any Experienced, Safe pilot who would plan an approach in such conditions.

Next, am I qualified to make this statement? 12700 hours, 3000 Navajo Hours, Current Airbus Captain with International Overseas Airline, and over 5000 hours in Northern Canada and Alaska. I believe the answer to this question is, categorically, yes.

“…150 a day cash is: 7 days=1050 , a month 4200$ I can't see to many people making 50000 cash a year to fly a Navajo…”

A “Competent” pilot would know that he (or she) could not work every day of the month. The law simply prohibits it.

I’m not going to discuss the pay issue, each of us gets paid (and accepts a pay commitment) based on what we think we are worth. If we accept a low paying position, we have simply accepted that this is what we are worth.

The simply fact here is, that this operator (Who’s name was not indicated in the initial “Advertisement,” rather disclosed later in this thread) is a hypocrite. Obviously, his (her) regard for safety is low. I can only imagine how long the term of employment will be if the successful candidate were to use his (her) experience, competence and safety consciousness to cancel the flight he describes above.

Rookie Airbus Crew… "What's it doing now?"
Veteran Airbus Crew… "It's doing it again!"
Jeeves
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeeves »

Can't argue with that...

CHICAGO - A jetliner trying to land in heavy snow slid off a runway, crashed through a fence and slid into a busy street, hitting one vehicle and pinning another beneath it.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

I dunno, if I was a navajo guy looking for some quick money without a job I'd jump on this. Sure there are lots of places that pay more, but I promise there's more that pay less. BC anyone? To people say that the blackhole approach in blowing snow is unsafe. This is a reality anywhere in Northern Ontario. Believe it or not these reserves don't have lead in lights, and high intensity centre line lights. Everyone that flies into Northern Ontario flys into these places at night, if it's snowing they don't cancel the flights. If these guys are unsafe for doing this than why isn't everyone jumping on NAC, Bearskin, Wasaya, Thunder, Voyageur? Surely if it's safe for NAC to do in a PC-12, or wasaya to do in a Caravan than it's okay in a Navajo?

I'm not saying this is some amazing contract work, but surely it's not as bad as everyone is saying. Yes in a dream world the contract would be going out for $500/day with free everything and a thai hooker. Red Lake is a lot better than many places in Canada's north. Anyone actually been there? I've been there and thought it sure was nice to have an IGA, and a KFC.... ohh and the balmer burgers are great. Perhaps everyone lives in Vancouver, or Calgary and this would be a culture shock. I imagine there's still some guys out there that would consider Club Red a nice break from a crappier spot.

/rant

Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anonymous1 »

I'm just tired of all the crap here so I'll just do the damn flying myself. Its not really such a big deal that you guys make it out to be. I'm starting to think that quite a few of you really have nothing to do but complain. What did I hear at Georgian? Complaining. AC pilots? Complaining. Jazz? Complaining. Bearskin? Complaining....I really think if you were offered the Thai hooker, unlimited beer and $25K a month you'd still find something to bitch about. Thank God most pilots I've flown with and worked with are a far cry from the type of posters that write here otherwise I'd have quit long ago. I love flying at night in shit weather. It is challenging and satisfying to do. I'd probably blow my head off from borerdom if I had to do traffic patrol or fly a 340 across the Pacific for 15 hours. I put the contract thing in so if the work dried up, I wouldn't have misled the applicant. I know many other operators who even lay off before the ground school even starts but after you quit your last job. What about Westex? Hire and then bankrupt in a month. You want me to lie? If you want people to post here, then quit your Goddam bitching and stop finding the negatives in everything you read. I've never read so many pilots making $350 and more a day in a Navajo until this posting. Yet last month I read how Regency and Navair were at $100 a day. Goddam you guys piss me off! Bunch of Fu*king hypocrites. Won't fly a Navajo for less than $400 a day yet you'd sell your mother to a pimp for a shot at AC to fly for $110 a day.

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

First of all shankdown I think i do qualify for that contract considering i have about 1800 hrs in a navajo with about 1300 of that as a captain flying around the north in the blowing snow and strong crosswinds into some crappy little strip. I done my time and am on to bigger and better now so get some facts before you shoot your mouth off about qualifications. I'am not saying i have the most experience as TOGA descent points all the valuable time he has, which is great some guys have tons and can have there opinions. TOGA I am sure you have a great job making lots of money and sure 3 or 4 guys posted how great they are paid, but thats is a small minority of navajo pilots out there, I can guarantee you there are lots more out there that don't make that much and wished they did. I didn't say anything about working 30 days in a row (even though under 703 you only need 3 off in 30), he said you would be paid if the plane moved or not so $4200 would be what you make a month (if the contract lasts that long since is just a SHORT term contract).

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

hhmmm.

initialy you were looking for a guy with experiance to get his a$$ up there asap for a 6-8 week contract. You'd have to expect to pay above average for that.

From your last post it seems like your looking for a guy to fly your Ho and possibly offer him full time employment, at which $150 a day would be sweet. If it was offered as salary, not per duty day.

Gotta be very specific on here.

Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anonymous1 »

Like I said...most of you guys seem to bitch and complain about everything so I'll just do it myself. Why be specific when I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow? Who ever got into aviation for a stable, long term job? You claim to make $7000 or so a month so why would you be wasting time on the internet with that much cash? I just thought someone would like to make a little extra money between jobs but there seems to be a lot of anger and bitterness from all the $400 a day Navajo pilots out there so why bother with all that crap?

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by shankdown »

Just relax, TurboProp. I took a guess based on what you said and I was wrong. When you were talking about $150/day as good money, it reminded of a time when I would have fallen all over myself to fly across the country on short notice to work for the guy. And when I was like that, I wasn't qualified for such a gig. Those days are over. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd drop everything to go do it for that. If you lived in Dryden or something, that's a different story & mabey I'd understand. No hard feelings required here ;) I hope you're catching a good part of this hiring wave.

Anonomous. I don't think there's a whole lot of bitching going on, just people saying what they'll work for. If you can get a guy to do it at $150, good on ya. If you can't (which appears to be the case), you'd have to start moving the price up. I'll take a contract for much less than $400/day, but it would have to be on some better terms than what you're asking. Its simple. You sound like a safe guy, and I understand that you were exagerating the conditions you want people to fly in to make a statement, and that you'd respect all the decisions of an experienced guy. I would love to come up there for you. I have spent many weeks in Red Lake, and its a fine town. But I'm not being hypocritical, and I don't think many of the other guys are either. You said what you were offering, and it doesn't sound like there's any takers, so you'll do it yourself. Can't afford it? Pass the price on to the customer, or do what you're doing. But perhaps you shouldn't jump all over people because they don't want to go up there for that money. The industry is moving, and the guys who you're looking for would rather do the $150/day plus perdiem thing for Jazz or Pacific Coastal or something like that. When I contracted in my home town on a Navajo last year, I did it for $180/day plus expenses. If I do it again, it will be $200 plus expenses, as I'm in a position to. Argueably, it should even be more than that. If they can find someone to do it for less that offers the same service and performance I do, good for them. I'll have a little cutie over for dinner and a bottle of wine and enjoy myself. In all honesty, you probably need to adjust your daily pay. Look at some of the salaries guys on here are getting. They are real. My company STARTS guys on the Navajos just under 50K/year, and their perdiems (if you count those) launch them into the high 50's/year. Granted, its in a different market, but still. As much fun as it is to fly, I'm also responsible to keep the value of pilots where it should be, and not to degrade that standard. As are you and everyone on this board. I hope you understand my point. Sorry for rambling, but I'm trying to give you an honest, straight up answer. I'll stop now.

Shankdown :D

TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TorontoGuy »

Anonymous1 wrote:Like I said...most of you guys seem to bitch and complain about everything so I'll just do it myself.
That's your only option? Finding a pilot here on avcanada or nothing? Surely not. Sounds awfully limited to me.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

shank,

high 50's for a HO, what company you with, need any drivers? :D

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

I never claimed that i made that much, it would be a rare 20 days on that i flew 100hrs [though $6000 isnt uncommon]. I am on the job right now though, chillin in my hotel room with my company provided laptop making min flight pay, ect. Or as you say 'wasting time on the internet'. Kinda funny that an aviation company is paying me to sit here and piss you off.

From your last post you sound like a typical northern boss :evil: , i got my fill of that during 14 months above the arctic circle. A guy with solid time, regardless of pay offered, needs to take that like he needs a fu@!kin hole in his head :roll: . Not that I'm saying you are, its just the way you seem to get worked up and respond to peoples comments. I'd probably hate to be working for ya when a skeds departure is five min late.

Meso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Meso »

shankdown wrote:
My company STARTS guys on the Navajos just under 50K/year, and their perdiems (if you count those) launch them into the high 50's/year.

Shankdown Very Happy

Where is the sign-up sheet?. For 50 G's plus 'ill fly a ho? Only I don't want to move to Never Never land!

low n over wrote: Not that I'm saying you are, its just the way you seem to get worked up and respond to peoples comments. I'd probably hate to be working for ya when a skeds departure is five min late.

Maybe the guy is a bit stressed, working alot, needing more pilots,trying to pay for planes which we all know is not a cake walk, maybe got some good work that will carry him through the slow times this winter.I'm not defending the pay but, Give it a rest on the bitchy part. Take your lunch box to work and be happy,IMHO, your not qualified to comment on this! :wink:

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

low n over wrote:its a sweet pu$$y gig yeah, but theres lots of Ho's especialy survey ones in alberta with guys making the same or more. Even dynamic pays guys with my time $220 + per day.

One things for sure, my employer is gonna have me around for awhile. :wink:
Untill I convince you to give it up and come work for us. LOL

:D

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

Sure thing Dust Devil.

But I want $150 a day plus travel and housing.

hehehehe

Sorry i couldnt resist. Been waiting in YBF for survey wx the last few days.
Getting a little stir crazy, no History channel on the hotel cable so naturaly i find myself on avcanada between wanks. Actualy I wish anonymus1 all the best. Easy, when things are going great for a guy, to forget the hard times.

Cheers

Return to “General Comments”