CIAS 2019

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

CIAS 2019

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Anybody else terribly underwhelmed by this years lineup?

Always appreciate those who take the time to perform, (a big thank you as always) but I was left scratching my head when the Hornet and A-10s were on stage for a couple high speed passes then back to Pearson. Also why were the Snowbirds the opening act and the Red Arrows closing out a Canadian show. It was great to see them again, however the order of the show seemed strange and staccato. Too bad.

Tis my last year 😞

S.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CIAS 2019

Post by photofly »

Why were the Snowbirds opening the show and while I loved seeing the Red Arrows, why were they closing a Canadian show.

For the same reasons it apparently takes twice as many hours to get a PPL as it used to.

s_w.jpg
s_w.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

Is that you on the left or the right?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

photofly wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:03 pm
Why were the Snowbirds opening the show and while I loved seeing the Red Arrows, why were they closing a Canadian show.

For the same reasons it apparently takes twice as many hours to get a PPL as it used to.

s_w.jpg

Is that you on the left or the right?
Definitely right, lol.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

it's a crime. The CNE hasn't been a world class show since the early 80's.it's morphed into a large flee market with a loss of 80% of its interesting and public displays. The city of Toronto has reduced a grand lady to a whore. The airshow has suffered as well and is no longer the spectacular entertainment it once was. Very sad.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm it's a crime. The CNE hasn't been a world class show since the early 80's.it's morphed into a large flee market with a loss of 80% of its interesting and public displays. The city of Toronto has reduced a grand lady to a whore. The airshow has suffered as well and is no longer the spectacular entertainment it once was. Very sad.
2007, IIRC was the last good year; Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, Snowbirds, Red Arrows and just about every jet demo team, plus some amazing aerobatics from Sean. Surprised we didn't get an F35 demo this year considering its in the running for our never-ending race for a replacement fighter.

I was most disappointed not to see the demo Hornet, they always have such an amazing display.

At least we can say we were saved from the Cadet glider flown to the Mash theme, hehe.

S.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm it's a crime. The CNE hasn't been a world class show since the early 80's.it's morphed into a large flee market with a loss of 80% of its interesting and public displays. The city of Toronto has reduced a grand lady to a whore. The airshow has suffered as well and is no longer the spectacular entertainment it once was. Very sad.
I can't stand the CNE. People pay to attend a flea market and junk food stands.

Talk about stupid.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

In days gone by, the host country went last...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm it's a crime. The CNE hasn't been a world class show since the early 80's.
It’s a lot harder to be a world class show in an era where sushi is available in every strip mall and fresh pasta is a staple.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm The city of Toronto has reduced a grand lady to a whore.
Reduced...? Wouldn't that be an upgrade?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

I've not been a fan of this show for a really long time. If you want to take photos, the sun is centre stage.
I did, however, learn that the reason the Snowbirds flew first on Labour day, is because they wanted to watch the Red Arrows show.
I thought that was pretty classy actually. They are also enthusiasts.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

DH82EH wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:37 pm I've not been a fan of this show for a really long time. If you want to take photos, the sun is centre stage.
I did, however, learn that the reason the Snowbirds flew first on Labour day, is because they wanted to watch the Red Arrows show.
I thought that was pretty classy actually. They are also enthusiasts.
Well, that is fair. Now that you mention it I did see a photo of them watching the Red Arrows, and they were definitely a great show. My little one liked all the colours they were drawing in the sky.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

DH82EH wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:37 pm I've not been a fan of this show for a really long time. If you want to take photos, the sun is centre stage.
Agreed. For many years the best air shows for photography in Ontario were at Hamilton and London because you weren't staring directly into the sun. I have plenty of nicely lit photos from those shows and virtually none from the CNE.

Return to “General Comments”