alcohol and jumpseating

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

alcohol and jumpseating

Post by dogfood »

Hey guys Ive heard mixed opinions on this one just curious on everyone's thoughts. Is it acceptable to consume an alcoholic beverage while using a reciprocal jump seat ticket and sitting in the back and obviously not in uniform. Ive always just played it safe and not but its pretty temping when certain airlines offer free beer.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: alcohol and jumpseating

Post by digits_ »

dogfood wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:07 am Hey guys Ive heard mixed opinions on this one just curious on everyone's thoughts. Is it acceptable to consume an alcoholic beverage while using a reciprocal jump seat ticket and sitting in the back and obviously not in uniform. Ive always just played it safe and not but its pretty temping when certain airlines offer free beer.
What does your jump seat agreement say? Do you have to flash your raic to use it?

If not, you're just a passenger and can act as a super civilized passenger would.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

In ALPA literature, it's a pretty big no.
So if you're an ALPA pilot, or jumping on an ALPA carrier, definitely refrain from alcohol. Individual companies may not have a written policy, but do you really need a drink that bad? I'd hate to be the one that wakes the bear and ruins an agreement.

I don't know the AC/ACPA's policy.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Yeah none of the policy say you cant.. Its just an un written rule I guess? I heard its a big no no on ALPA carriers but why wouldn't they put it in there RJP agreement if that was the case? Its not that I need a drink Im just curious..

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

DBE7DFB9-69E0-4D19-A6DB-9A572EF9E594.jpeg
DBE7DFB9-69E0-4D19-A6DB-9A572EF9E594.jpeg (325.2 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
From my company’s jumpseat handbook.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ant_321 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:33 am
Wouldn't that be for company personnel? I'd find it hard to believe that a 1900 pilot jumpseating on a 747 at a different company would be considered a crewmember.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parallel60 »

If you are jumpseating on your own carrier I would say no. Jumpseating on another carrier I'd say no issue at all In fact, on occasions when I've had a jumpseater I've handed the in charge FA my credit card and said "tell the crew member you have my credit card and anything is on me." I don't have that many usually. If I had 2-3 per flight, this could get pricey...

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 am
ant_321 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:33 am
Wouldn't that be for company personnel? I'd find it hard to believe that a 1900 pilot jumpseating on a 747 at a different company would be considered a crewmember.
Our handbook says no drinking on any carrier. Could be bs but I don’t care enough to look any deeper into it. I very rarely jumpseat.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn’t be doing it. Drink some other time.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

A 1900 pilot could be asked to read a 747 checklist or thumb through approach plates. Given a pilot incapacitation situation, it would be nice to have somebody even reading the checklist while I do the actions. Ask for an approach plate, and they're looking for it while I coordinate with ATC. Those types of situations get very busy, a "secretary" type of assistant would be helpful, and don't need type specific training.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

lol, in Civies sitting in the middle of the plane, who's gonna know./care? if its operating the radios and reading checklists in an emergency situation where all other options have been exhausted which I cant tell you the odds on that.......but 1 or 2 beers in you think you'd struggle to read a checklist? ATC will move mountains for you in that situation

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Uniteds reciprocal policy says no alcohol may be consumed on board

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Hard no. On paper, you're a crewmember, behind any dead-heading trainee flight attendants. That's why the captain has the option of examining your pilot's license,RAIC, and company ID before allowing you on the flight. I've experienced everything from a captain wanting to see all this shit, to flight attendants being scared and confused when I ask to see the pilots to thank them for the (almost) free ride. It's a real privilege; and your responsibility to be as professional as you would be at your own job. No-one understands the desire for a beer more than me, but reciprocal jumpseat agreements are a real treat, and I wouldn't want to blow it. One time, I pulled an all-nighter and got to the airport half in the bag after a great vacation with my friends I had used the agreement to attend. I went to the check-in and bought a ticket. I didn't want to bring dishonour on my company's pilots by using the agreement to travel while unfit, so I bought a ticket and didn't identify myself as a pilot.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Riding in the back? Have at it.

You're not counted as an additional crew member unless you're riding in the FD or bunk at my airline, and in that case no alcohol can be consumed while in the FD.

Even then, "crew member" is really only for W&B and maybe the gen dec on an international flight because of your seat.

Doesn't mean you couldn't have had something before, maybe at the airport with lunch? or you could go stand in the gallery have a glass, there isn't a policy against that. Even DHing we are good to have a drink if so inclined,

A pretty big no in ALPA literature? Who cares what ALPA literature says, it's irrelevant.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Meatservo has the best response in this thread.

Chances are nobody will care, but eventually somebody will and you'd so hate to be the person who loses the privilege for your whole airline.
Meatservo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:59 pm Hard no. On paper, you're a crewmember, behind any dead-heading trainee flight attendants. That's why the captain has the option of examining your pilot's license,RAIC, and company ID before allowing you on the flight. I've experienced everything from a captain wanting to see all this shit, to flight attendants being scared and confused when I ask to see the pilots to thank them for the (almost) free ride. It's a real privilege; and your responsibility to be as professional as you would be at your own job. No-one understands the desire for a beer more than me, but reciprocal jumpseat agreements are a real treat, and I wouldn't want to blow it. One time, I pulled an all-nighter and got to the airport half in the bag after a great vacation with my friends I had used the agreement to attend. I went to the check-in and bought a ticket. I didn't want to bring dishonour on my company's pilots by using the agreement to travel while unfit, so I bought a ticket and didn't identify myself as a pilot.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Or go ID90? It’s a little more but your no longer bound by the jumpseat rules. Most of my
Jumpseat airlines are also available via ID90.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

So jumpseating pilots are considered "additional crewmembers" in the FARs, what about the CARs? Anything in the regs for Canada?

I took a quick look at my company's jumpseat agreements with the big carriers and didn't see any mention of alcohol anywhere.

Last time I travelled on WJ I went to see the captain and he asked me what seat I was in, I told him, and he called the FA and told her to put me in an empty "plus" seat and said, "There ya go, now your beer is on the house!".

Also, every time I've travelled Porter the FA has put pressure on me to have a beer or three like I'm at a college dorm party.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They aren't additional crew members in FARs - they just aren't required to meet the same requirements as passengers. Doesn't matter what we call them for paperwork they are not crew, they won't have to read a check list or operate the flaps or find an approach plate for me in an emergency.

And it includes a heck of a lot more than jumpseating pilots in that FAR chapter. Also includes general admission to FD requirements.

I'm surprised how many hard asses here have an issue.

Nobody cares about anyone having a beer in the passenger compartment, you aren't going to lose the privilege for your whole airline or anything. This is professional to professional courtesy period. Relax, enjoy the ride, and don't be an asshole.

Return to “General Comments”