B1900 or flight instruction?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: B1900 or flight instruction?

Post by mel gibson »

At my multi turbine operator many years ago, the best Captains were the FOs who started at 250 hours and upgraded after 1000-1500 hours in the right seat. We had direct entry Captains who came from being Navajo Captains and they were below average.
Instructors with 1000 hours PIC , who joined as FOs were brutal and would vilolate Captains routinely with altitude busts.

The best overseas Captains at my current Airline, were overseas FOs for many years learning the local knowledge of foreign airports and oceanic procedures. The worst overseas Captains were the narrow body ones who never did the overseas operation as an FO. CRM from long time FOs is also better.

My opinion only, but I have only been doing this for 30 years....
---------- ADS -----------

TeigrobT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TeigrobT »

I personally took the instructor route till I had all ATPL requirements before getting a 704 job. A few of the perks of doing that were that a few companies were trying to hire me which meant I could choose the one that suited me best. That being said I have flown with captains who have gone straight 250 hours into the right seat for 2-3 years before upgrading and they speak highly of that route. One thing I will say is that when I did my ground school for the 704 much of my IFR theory was very strong since I had just come from IFR instructing, so it definitely helped me in that sense.
As most posters have said and I always tried to tell me students this also, only become an instructor if you’re going to try to be the best instructor you can be, don’t just do it for the hours.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

It's going to depend on the person who does the recruiting as much as anything. One recruiter might have a high opinion of instructors and the PIC experience gathered from doing that, another might value the turbine, multi crew experience more.

Thing is though if the good times stopped tomorrow what is going to be more beneficial to you. I'm pretty sure the majority of recruiters would pick someone with multi crew experience on a reasonably quick multi turbine than instructing experience on a small piston.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Ideally, you would think they would want a mix. People bringing different points of view is not a bad thing, as long as everyone can get along.

Return to “General Comments”