EAA Oshkosh 2020 Tips?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SbzYKF
Rank 0
Rank 0

EAA Oshkosh 2020 Tips?

Post by SbzYKF »

Hey everyone,

Firstly I apologize if this subject has been beaten and bashes ad nauseam, I am rather new here so I'm looking for some tips in possibly a plan I'm making for next year.

The meat and potatoes: I reckon by next summer I will have my Group 1 and surely have completed my PPL by then. So what better , and at the same time I realize potentially stupid, time to build time and experience than to fly in to Oshkosh. I was previously in OSH in 2010 with UPAC presenting a replica of the Silver Dart but we drove there. I have watched numerous videos on YT and followed EAA's tips but I wanted to know if someone has flown in before:

1) Was it your first time flying in? If so, how did you find it?
2) What would you suggest doing or planning that you didn't think of before departing but realized upon return?
3) Customs: where do you do it? In Canada before OSH or can you do it whilst there (I can only imagine how much utter madness would be doing it whilst there).
4) What kind of costs are involved in flying from either YKF or vicinity to OSH ? The costs of staying at OSH I'm aware of from previous years.

... That's all of the questions I have for now, perhaps I missed a good few important ones but they'll come up later. My plan thus far is looking at sharing an aircraft with a friend or renting potentially from YKF.

I apologize for any amateur thoughts in this. I'm just looking for realistic answers/help.

Truly.
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: EAA Oshkosh 2020 Tips?

Post by Beefitarian »

I did not fly in when I went. Looks fun but a little hectic.

They release a Notam every year. There might be one from the past somewhere online you could read.

I don't think you can clear customs at Oshkosh during AirVenture. That place gets slightly busy. I presume you would be much better off stopping for fuel and to clear customs before going to Osh.

In a small plane you don't get to go through US customs in Canada. At the first airport you land at in the United States you need to have filed a special flight plan and arranged to meet a customs agent upon arrival. Then when you land, you are required to taxi to park in a specified spot and wait inside the airplane for them to come over to you. If you get out of the plane before the customs agent tells you to, you will be in trouble.

It is nothing to fear but they are pretty serious so don't mess around.

Once you have cleared customs you are free to fly around the us just like Canada.

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling. There are several folks here that have flown in. Eventually one should see this and have actuall experience to share about flying there.

Helno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Helno »

I have flown in the last few years.

1) First time flying in was in 2015 it was not a big deal. Read the notam have a backup plan and assume you will not be able to land at KOSH.
2) It is pretty easy to figure out things while you are there.
3) Pick a smaller airport and be sure it has customs open on the day you arrive. Have all your documentation ready.
4) It will probably be cost prohibitive to rent an aircraft to fly to Oshkosh from southern Ontario. Many schools will not rent if you are headed to Oshkosh. If you manage to arrange for an aircraft take someone else with you to share the cost and provide an extra set of eyes.

Probably the biggest thing is to fly in with at least another set of eyes who know what to look for.

I have had to divert for various reasons 3 out of 4 years flying in. Once for unexpected weather and twice due to capacity issues at KOSH. If you plan on diverting and KOSH is the backup plan you will have a good time.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Do you mind sharing the airport you used to clear customs? Just curious.

If I ever flew there I would probably use one in Montana to get to the less expensive fuel as soon as possible.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Friends of mine from YKF area have cleared US Customs at Port Huron MI and Drummond Island MI. Drummond Island might be a bit out of the way but apparently it was excellent service. From there it is an easy flight down the west side of Lake Michigan to Green Bay and/or OSH. I have cleared US Customs at International Falls and then proceeded to Green Bay to rest and study the arrival procedures for OSH. From Green Bay I flew SW of OSH to get over the first entry point for OSH. From there it was about 10-15 miles to wind up on a right downwind for runway 27. They will have mobile ATC trucks over the various waypoints and will give you instructions. Like “Orange and Silver high wing tail dragger continue inbound”. You acknowledge by rocking your wings. They don’t want you talking to them unless you are having problems. Very straightforward. Also have gone to OSH on floats which was even simpler.

AP

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

less expensive fuel
I wouldn't always count on that. Last bunch of times I've been down there its been on par or more than here, when one considers the exchange and you do the conversions. That's at least been in Montana, Idaho, Washington and Nevada. I almost wonder if the prices near the border are high since they count on Canadians with empty tanks showing up. Last time I stopped in Pasco, the price was the same as Fort McMurray. That's been a change I've noticed in the last 5 years or so. Food has also been more expensive with prices everywhere the same as in Canada, or more, except in US dollars. The only thing I notice is still cheap is beer, if you're a fan of guzzling Olympia or Rainier by the flat, where its still cheaper than water or pop.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well, you probably should not burst my bubble. I like to pretend it's still cheaper by ignoring the reality of the exchange rate for our pathetic currency.

I swear I'm somehow related to Jimmy McMillan.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

When it gets close to time for Oshkosh, give the folks at Windsor Flying Club a shout. There's always a group that head there throughout the duration. I'm sure they'll be able to put out the feelers and hook you up with someone who has an open seat. If not there, I'm sure Brampton, Borden or St Catharines would do similar.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:36 am Well, you probably should not burst my bubble.
That's what I'm here for!

South of the border seems like a weird place anymore, and I've learned never to expect things are going to be the same from one place to another. I'm not sure if that has to do with different taxes in different states or what. Or maybe it just has to do with supply and demand. Some things there are way more expensive. Taxis for instance, almost seem to have a base price of $80 and up for even a short ride (under ten minute) to the airport. Not sure if you're being charged a "you're airplane people so must have money" surcharge. Most will only take cash, and if they do take credit cards, expect to pay a fee for that and the guy to dig one of the old slides out from under his seat and dust it off. Hotels are more pricey as well, your basic Holiday Inn/Best western or equivalent was running $180 a night and up, US dollars that is. A strange feature is the lack of tap or chip readers for credit cards. Honest to God, I drew a crowd in the McDonald's in Billings because no one there had seen a tap card before, and the staff had never seen anyone use one. Took a bit to convince them I paid for my coffee. I do like the prevailing preference for biscuits for breakfast instead of english muffins. OF note I find its way more typical for hotels to have free shuttles though, and there's always service for cabs and shuttles to even the smallest airports. Courtesy cars are also still far more common.

Now that said, I tend to frequent the little places down there, which all have super interesting airports. Flight training of note was running about the same price as here, at least for smaller operations. Your Mom and Pop flight schools were quoting about $12,000 US for a private license, and the going rate seemed to be about $150/hr USD.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Even if it is more expensive for a whopper I can get brewed tea or Dr Pepper so it's worth it.

Anyways I should be nearly famous here for complaining about the cost of...
Well, everything!
:orcass:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Speaking of the world coming unravelled...

My wife just read an ad from Buffalo Wild Wings. I like them but.. They are offering a "free" stein to keep for $15.98, refills are $10.95. Free is five bucks? Someone should go to jail.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Port Huron was the favoured AOE when I was living in Ontario. Always went DRCT from there and the engine ALWAYS ran rough over the last big pond !
One time, cleared in Saginaw at midnight, to be there for opening, got in after holding at airport to the south. ( Fond du Lac was it? ) Another time, was coming in from Ripon when a high wing and a low wing collided , Well, instead of the usual "red and white low wing A/C land mid way down RWY 36L" The frequency went quiet so the controllers could work with the mid-air collision A/C. They both did finally land safely, BUT the planes coming in for 36 L/R were now shooting for the button instead of being directed to a total of 6 points along 36L/R. A low wing piper got awfully close and slow ahead of me and was struggling with wing tip vortices from the A/C ahead. The 4 of us in a C-172 ( I was flying ) got down to 45 kts with power and full flaps and there was no way I could make a safe landing, so I did an overshoot BUT RWY 27? was very busy with take-offs and it was an exciting time indeed! The take-away on this incident? FLY the bloody plane and have contingency plans. Do plan to stay a week and be prepared for a little rain, bugs and a LOT of people and things to see!!

Helno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Helno »

Antique Pilot wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 am Friends of mine from YKF area have cleared US Customs at Port Huron MI and Drummond Island MI. Drummond Island might be a bit out of the way but apparently it was excellent service.
Drummond Island was a great place to clear customs. But this year we were told not to go there for customs.

It is still listed on the CBP listing but when a few of us called we were told to go to Sault Michigan.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/sault ... higan-3803

The end result of that was about 10 aircraft arriving at the Sault within 30 minutes and a huge lineup for the one customs guy. Only two planes busted the Sault Canada control zone by flying a left hand circuit.

Return to “General Comments”