"it's just good airmanship"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: "it's just good airmanship"

Post by Donald »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:53 pm
PPL students are blank slates. Their only frame of reference is their instructor. Instructors set an example on every flight good or bad and I think it is something that needs more emphasis by class 1’s and CFI

Last week I was number 2 behind a flight school airplane with an instructor and student. He calls ready for takeoff and I call ready # 2. Tower clears the first plane to position and for me to line up number 2. They then taxi out right to the end of the runway and tower has to tell them to move up to make room for me to lineup.

Not a huge deal but a perfect opportunity to show the student one aspect of airmanship, understanding what is happening around you, that was totally missed......
It’s been awhile since I’ve flown small aircraft, but why would you want to line up directly behind an aircraft that hasn’t even started rolling? Are you not asking to be blasted by takeoff power prop wash?
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"...asking to be blasted by takeoff power prop wash?"

Staggered spacing on runway.

Squaretail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Squaretail »

PPL students are blank slates. Their only frame of reference is their instructor.
I would qualify this and say that from the instructor's standpoint, the easiest students are blank slates, however they may have more than the instructor as a frame of reference. Younger students tend to be "blanker" slates, but often as the instructor I've found that you may have a lifetime of habits, fears, and preconceptions to battle against during initial training. In some cases you may never overcome in the small time you're going to spend with a student as an instructor a lifetime of accumulated baggage.
Instructors set an example on every flight good or bad and I think it is something that needs more emphasis by class 1’s and CFI
On that we can agree. One of the chief problems with flight training today I feel is the absence of good examples in these positions. In particular the CFI, which its hard to find people who fit into the overlap of the venn diagram of the circles of pilot skill, instructing wisdom, leadership and management ability.

When it comes to the "it's just good airmanship" answer, its just as poor of a reply as "because we've always done it that way" and "because I'm older/more experienced/outrank you" answers. The instructor's job is to allay the student's fears by providing concrete reason as to why one should, or the wisdom of a particular course of action. If it can't be adequately explained why something is done, then its valid to question why or how. Such is the burden of the wise to the next generation. If you don't like being questioned on what you do, why or how you do it, then don't put yourself in a position of being responsible to answer such things.

Good people drink beer. - Hunter S. Thompson

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Because good airmanship is nicer than saying "use Common Courtesy, Common Sense, and Think Ahead" Normally followed with the voice in your head, and sometimes ekes out "F'N Retard"

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Donald wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm
Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:53 pm
PPL students are blank slates. Their only frame of reference is their instructor. Instructors set an example on every flight good or bad and I think it is something that needs more emphasis by class 1’s and CFI

Last week I was number 2 behind a flight school airplane with an instructor and student. He calls ready for takeoff and I call ready # 2. Tower clears the first plane to position and for me to line up number 2. They then taxi out right to the end of the runway and tower has to tell them to move up to make room for me to lineup.

Not a huge deal but a perfect opportunity to show the student one aspect of airmanship, understanding what is happening around you, that was totally missed......
It’s been awhile since I’ve flown small aircraft, but why would you want to line up directly behind an aircraft that hasn’t even started rolling? Are you not asking to be blasted by takeoff power prop wash?
Because he might be trying to squeeze out 2 before the next lander. Propwash on a 172 WOOHOOtake into account the wind, lineup 10 ft upwind of them

Capt. Underpants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Capt. Underpants »

:rolleyes: I hope none of you comedians have any thoughts of quitting your day job.

Return to “General Comments”