Autoland in a Piper

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Autoland in a Piper

Post by rookiepilot »

HiFlyChick wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 am
Kind of like when a VFR guy in a cirrus wanders into IMC
Do only cirrus pilots do dumb things like that?
Just curious.
Maybe that model incapacitates the brain?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Let's be fair, if you have your seat pushed back and are reading the paper in your Cirrus, or are taking a quick nap, it can be really tricky to spot when you enter IMC.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

Question. If both or the lone pilot are unconscious due to say a carbon monoxide leak, How will the autoland system activate without some manually activating it?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

firstofficer wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:25 pm Question. If both or the lone pilot are unconscious due to say a carbon monoxide leak, How will the autoland system activate without some manually activating it?
The system has periodic prompts that the pilot must follow by acknowledging them. If the pilot doesn’t do that the aircraft assumes pilot incapacitation and will commence a decent to 14,500 feet. Should further prompts still remain unanswered the auto land system will automatically be engaged.

I’m looking forward to trying it myself soon!

Regards,
TPC

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Technology marches on but what is the reality of this. There will still be the majority of general aviation fly "old" aircraft. Commercial operators will still opt for 2 crew so what percentage of the industry is left.

Full automation and removal of pilots from the flight deck is coming. I see this as part of the movement towards this and it's part of the research and development with very little practical applications at this point in time.

I still maintain all ab initio flight training for the first few hours be done in a NORDO trail dragger before new pilots are introduced to the current tech. Map reading, looking out the window and conventional gear. What a concept. :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 amI still maintain all ab initio flight training for the first few hours be done in a NORDO trail dragger before new pilots are introduced to the current tech. Map reading, looking out the window and conventional gear. What a concept. :mrgreen:
Pfffft. Taildragger. Try tail skids. Or all skids like the Wright Brothers. Better yet, like the Wright Brothers get them to teach themselves. And design and build their own airplane.

Wasn’t it a rudder monkey that put that Airbus into Jamaica Bay in 2001? The same type of rudder monkey tail draggers often make of pilots?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Pfffft. Taildragger. Try tail skids. Or all skids like the Wright Brothers. Better yet, like the Wright Brothers get them to teach themselves. And design and build their own airplane.

Wasn’t it a rudder monkey that put that Airbus into Jamaica Bay in 2001? The same type of rudder monkey tail draggers often make of pilots?
Now that is truly entertaining, especially since organizations like ALPA have stated stick and rudder skills (notice the word skills) are the main issue with safety in today's world and surpassing CFIT.

Back to the rudder monkey, why wasn't Airbus called to task for a design flaw since it seems to be the current idea that manufacturers need to protect against any amount of pilot error. The obvious answer is full automation with a button monkey who's only job is to push the big red button and watch. Takes pilot error right out of the sequence of events. Pilots will become redundant and all that will be left is rudder monkeys flying 80 year old aircraft - lol

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I guess we should just go ahead and rename the PPL as the "Takeoff Technician" Course :roll:

Personally I don't have a problem with the Cirrus chute. I have a reasonable amount of SEP IMC and SEP night time and the idea of having more options when the engine becomes uninterested in further toil is appealing. I think the raging about Cirrus pilots pulling the chute because they are incompetent is over blown. There are a significant number of people alive who IMO would probably not be regardless of how good they were because they pulled the chute.

Cirrus to their credit have by large margin the best GA training program anywhere and Cirrus pilots who have completed the initial and recurrent training are not pulling the chute because they don't know what to do.

However actual instances of pilot incapacitation are very rare and so I really don't like the non verbal subtext to Garmin's announcement. " You don't have to work to be a good IFR pilot, the airplane will save you when you get in over your head" :x

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I don't really understand all the hate some people have for technology like this and ballistic parachutes. They're brilliant ideas. Do you ever think of what would happen if you took your friend up for a scenic flight and you suddenly fainted? I do... and it's a risk I don't like to think about. It actually happened to a friend of mine who passed-out from food poisoning and luckily his passenger was a student pilot and landed. If I could afford it, that tech would be amazing to have. ..and I can't blame it for being expensive. My stick-and-rudder skills are worthless when I'm incapacitated and so are yours, so I don't understand why we're even talking about pilot skill here.

People shouldn't be sh*t on for developing safer things, nor should they be sh*t on for using it. Miss-use is also not the fault of the technology. You can't blame a fall arrester or it's inventor for making you walk too close to ledges.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It rather depends on the marketing behind the "fall arrestor". If it says on the box "use this device safely to walk much closer to the edge of a ledge than you really should", then, yes, you can blame the company that sells it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:31 am
valleyboy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 amI still maintain all ab initio flight training for the first few hours be done in a NORDO trail dragger before new pilots are introduced to the current tech. Map reading, looking out the window and conventional gear. What a concept. :mrgreen:

Sorry -I rarely chime in anymore- but what the @#$! is a "rudder monkey"? Surely you're not using LACK of a particular skill on your part as a token of some sort of inverse superiority? That's what it sounds like.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The same type of rudder monkey tail draggers often make of pilots?
He means those who do not understand the importance of controlling yaw with rudder and lose control of a tail wheel airplane during the landing and wreck the thing.

Makes them look like monkeys .

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I just want to add that the most fun i ever had in an airplane, besides loops, was in a Super Cub on floats on the Fraser. No radio, just pure flying. Sorry dont know anything about Cirrus, cause i have no idea what they are.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Cirrus are high level clouds that a Super Cub certainly doesn't have to contend with :lol:

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Didn't watch the video, but I'm sure the FOs i fly with are wondering if it has smart screen capability to live stream the approach and check facebook as they listen to tunes on their bluetooth headset?

Can't wait for auto-taxi and auto-takeoff capability.
The aforementioned FOs would turn on the AP at the gate.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

When fully automated flight becomes the norm how much safer will it be?

Return to “General Comments”