50 of 737NG planes grounded after cracks found - Boeing Safety issue again

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

imcool
Rank 1
Rank 1

50 of 737NG planes grounded after cracks found - Boeing Safety issue again

Post by imcool »

50 of 737NG planes have been grounded after cracks were found in fuselage. More information here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcC_yiaZc6c

:o :o
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 50 of 737NG planes grounded after cracks found - Boeing Safety issue again

Post by valleyboy »

Typical in the day of social media and news media opinion and not reporting news accurately. News is dead and opinion gets ratings and people are mislead. NG at 30000 Cycles is now and old aircraft and should be subject to aging aircraft maintenence. Greta might be happy, news media scaring people out of the skies. :mrgreen: NG is approaching 20 years. According to present day values and thinking they should be scraped and replaced and still maintain cheap tickets. I'm thinking rename Max to 5G - lmfaoooooooo

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

This wouldn't even be news if it wasn't for "737".

Airplanes develop cracks constantly, they're either repaired or the plane gets scrapped, depends on economics.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

And the dreamliner is next.

A few years ago a few Boeing 737 quality assurance engineers got fired because they wouldn't release the 737 NG fuselage because of cracks......

The same story is happening with the 787, seems like the local culture in that company.

Enjoy the video. :idea: :idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkEpstd9os&t=89s

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

No.

The pickle forks are kind of a big deal since they hold the wings on. 30,000 cycles is not a lot for a 737 or any aircraft and well below its design life. More unintended consequences of adding a new wing and winglets to a 50 year old design.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

https://youtu.be/vWxxtzBTxGU?list=PLwdc ... 0eHBcrdkLP

This is a VERY interesting video as well. Well worth watching all the way through.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

You mean, the aircraft with cracks found will be fixed. Hardly newsworthy.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

How many Dash-8 300s from the earlier series' were parked because of no more straight gear legs left?

Didn't a DC3 break apart years ago and the resulting AD grounded about half the world's fleet of DC3s?

>1% of the fleet world's fleet of a specific type needing a repair isn't a big deal.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

iflyforpie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 am No.

The pickle forks are kind of a big deal since they hold the wings on. 30,000 cycles is not a lot for a 737 or any aircraft and well below its design life. More unintended consequences of adding a new wing and winglets to a 50 year old design.
737 wings are so floppy anyways. They bounce up and down like three feet when just taxiing around!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

737 wings are so floppy anyways. They bounce up and down like three feet when just taxiing around!
Trolling are we? That wins the most retarded statement of the year, hands down. :prayer: watch a B52 takeoff and see what wing flex is really like.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

valleyboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 am
Trolling are we? That wins the most retarded statement of the year, hands down. :prayer: watch a B52 takeoff and see what wing flex is really like.
WestJet had a 737 with more than 100k flight hours on it. Don't know if they still do. I'm just saying a 737 probably flies more than a B-52. I would hope anyways.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

WestJet also had a 737 with 97k cycles on it. I'd imagine it's the cycles that get you not the hours. Remember the Hawaiian 737 convertible. It had 89k cycles.

Attachments
x1080.jpg
x1080.jpg (167.83 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Victory wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 am WestJet also had a 737 with 97k cycles on it. I'd imagine it's the cycles that get you not the hours. Remember the Hawaiian 737 convertible. It had 89k cycles.
That was a 737-200 and she was scraped when the 737NG's came on line.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

WestJet had a 737 with more than 100k flight hours on it. Don't know if they still do. I'm just saying a 737 probably flies more than a B-52. I would hope anyways.
I suggest you google the B52 - i doubt any 73 will see almost a hundred years service. They project the B52 to be in flying in active duty for at least another 20 years being intrigued in the 50's. Yes they will have low cycles compared to airframe time but still amazing and likely better built. When airbus introduced the 320 and Boeing the NG the reaction of the "classic" pilots of the time is that it was the opening of the era of "disposable aircraft" meaning a lot less service life than before. Built like a brick shit house was gone.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Comparing a b52 to an airline 737 is like comparing grandmas Buick doing 5k / year to a cab drivers Prius putting on 50k / year. Sure the Buick might last longer from a calendar point of view but that doesn’t mean it’s built better or more reliable.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Didn't the tail fall a B52, resulting in the redesign of the vertical stabilizer?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

The one underlying fact is that the airline industry has a long list of design flaws other than pilot brain farts. After the trip of airframe discovery starting with the comet to crews not understanding swept back wings and jet upset.

Airbus has had it's share as well, both airframe and software to Boeing, Douglas and Lockheed. One hopes that there is an end to this but as new aircraft are developed there is always that area of the unknown.

The irony I find in the 73max is the system perceived to help pilots and possibly aid due to erosion of skills due to automation (btw the whole world is dumbing down - look at new cars) ends up in major disasters. The only solution I see is more time , oversight and testing of new aircraft. It would be interesting to know how many flight hours on the max before given green light for consumer consumption. They must also be able to program a simulator to run through any and all conceived software faults. Debugging is a the major problem of everything today, damn why an I getting so many software updates on all my devices. I know the bad guys are always picking away trying to get my money but the issues remain. Will it ever be fixed or will corporations just factor law suits into cost of doing business. Seems a handful of money fixes a lot.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

valleyboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 am
You think stating a fact is retarded? :roll:

Return to “General Comments”