Whats the best headset to get

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Whats the best headset to get

Post by cpt sweet'njuicy »

Im just starting out and I fly a noisy plane. There must be a David Clark in my future.
---------- ADS -----------

.....there are pilots....and then there are people with a pilots licence...which are you?....
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Whats the best headset to get

Post by youhavecontrol »

Budget?
I love my Bose A20, but I flew for 10 years with a classic David Clark and didn't mind it until I bought the Bose.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

Whichever one is most comfortable for you. If you have a chance, try out the headsets you are looking at in the plane. If you can’t do that, find a pilot shop and least try them on there. Makes a big difference!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I found the David Clark fine until I started flying 6,7,8+ hours a day. I would go home with a pounding headache every day from wearing that vice on my head. I ended up with the A20 since I found it more comfortable than lightspeeds. At first I actually didn’t like it because it was too quiet. After a couple weeks I learned to appreciate it. I now fly a quieter airplane and use a Bose QC 25 with a Uflymike. Way lighter and works great when dead heading.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

You can use the poor man's noise cancelling: ear plugs. I use a David Clark when I'm flight instructing, with ear plugs. For the 6+ hours a day sitting behind an engine, the earplugs eliminated my headaches.

I might have a small head, because I've never felt that they were a vice on my noggin.

Even with noise cancelling headsets/helmets, I still use earplugs. They eliminate a lot of fuzz on the radio, and make it easier to pick up voices. Says so right in From the Ground Up.

So, what type of plane will you be flying for 6+hours a day? I highly recommend the ear plugs, though, with any headset you get.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The search button. The search button will give you all of the advice above and more in many threads.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 am The search button. The search button will give you all of the advice above and more in many threads.
This fellow is a seasoned veteran of AvCanada. His next post may be about purchasing a type rating on a metroliner. :lol:

boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

I’m happy with my BT David Clark One X

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

cpt sweet'njuicy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm Im just starting out and I fly a noisy plane. There must be a David Clark in my future.
Glad you're still around. Good luck with your noisy plane!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

The Juice is back!

BAck to your old gig in the flatlands?

In my previous gig on a Cl415, I used Bose A20s - no complaints there even after 2 four hour sessions.
Now, I’m on a light business jet, and most often use a set of Lightspeed Zulus.

Of course, YMMV.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 am
AirFrame wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 am The search button. The search button will give you all of the advice above and more in many threads.
This fellow is a seasoned veteran of AvCanada. His next post may be about purchasing a type rating on a metroliner. :lol:
Unlikely... I've never flown anything with more than one engine or a turbine...

And get off my lawn! Damn kids...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

cpt sweet'njuicy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm Im just starting out and I fly a noisy plane. There must be a David Clark in my future.
Dc One X. $1400 well spent. Welcome back.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 am
CL-Skadoo! wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 am
Unlikely... I've never flown anything with more than one engine or a turbine...

And get off my lawn! Damn kids...
Not you, the original poster was to whom I was referring. We're all participating in a "happening" with this post.

cpt sweet'njuicy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by cpt sweet'njuicy »

This was a test to see just how much time has passed. Still a few out there I see. To the rest of you who gave me your best headset advice well...I just cant not troll. So much time has passed that many people could actually be dead or this upside down backward world we now live in has killed their insides and they walk around dead.
Is there a thread for Donald Trump running or the disarming of Virginia? Maybe Justins blackface hangout for the morally superior or catastrophically hypocritical? What are the hot topics these days. Does Joe still own this internet safespace?

.....there are pilots....and then there are people with a pilots licence...which are you?....
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I flew with my original DC 10-13.4s for years until I bought ProX in 2013. My current company just provided me with the latest version, the ProX-2 and it is an amazing headpiece. I have flown everything from a pistons, to various jets with them and have zero complaints on it.

If you have access to a US address, you can save about 150-200 by ordering it directly from DC to that address.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:29 am I flew with my original DC 10-13.4s for years until I bought ProX in 2013. My current company just provided me with the latest version, the ProX-2 and it is an amazing headpiece. I have flown everything from a pistons, to various jets with them and have zero complaints on it.

If you have access to a US address, you can save about 150-200 by ordering it directly from DC to that address.
That's good to know, I've been thinking about the Pro X series. Next time I go to sim in the US I'll see about getting one shipped to the hotel.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

cpt sweet'njuicy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:24 pm This was a test to see just how much time has passed. Still a few out there I see. To the rest of you who gave me your best headset advice well...I just cant not troll. So much time has passed that many people could actually be dead or this upside down backward world we now live in has killed their insides and they walk around dead.
Is there a thread for Donald Trump running or the disarming of Virginia? Maybe Justins blackface hangout for the morally superior or catastrophically hypocritical? What are the hot topics these days. Does Joe still own this internet safespace?
You’re white, aren’t you? I can’t tell, but I’m pretty sure.

Iphoneuser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Iphoneuser »

BOESE QC35 with the N FLIGHT MIC or paired up with the Sony X1000

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

:lol:

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart

Return to “General Comments”