Whats the best headset to get

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Whats the best headset to get

Post by jg24 »

Check out your friends' or colleagues' headsets and ask to borrow them for a flight. See how they work out for you. That's how I got convinced to go the Bose route, and had two buddies do the same when they borrowed mine. But try them out because some may fit better than others for your head and ears.
---------- ADS -----------

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Bose A20, best aviation headset it's expensive but worth every dollar

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I used a Bose A20 at work and my personal headset is a Lightspeed Zulu 3 which I use regularly in a Cessna (Bose in a Dash). I like both, but I prefer the Zulu. It's comfortable, its quiet, the batteries last forever, and I believe it's less expensive. The customer service from the small company in Oregon is outstanding. Can't recommend them enough.

RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RG500 »

Clarity Aloft

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

You guys recommending headsets after the picture of the dog's butt: are you guys serious?

PS. Avcom.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

This post intentionally left blank.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Clarity Aloft

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I'm resurrecting a (slightly) old thread here, sorry.

I'm in the market for a headset - mostly because after 20 years of smoking, I do have a slight cough from time to time, and borrowing headsets would just be rude. My local pilot shop has the Bose A20s listed for $1400, the David Clark H10-13.4's at $430 (CDN), and the Zulu Lightspeeds at $1045. But alas, I have no idea what the difference is between a $400 set and a $1400 set. I did a fam flight with the Bose set, and they were awesome - but what I don't know is whether or not a $400 set would suit my needs sufficiently. I have no issues with my hearing.

I'm fine with dropping coin on a good set, I just want to know it's worth it. I'm looking at training full time for at least a year before finding work, in a variety of aircraft. There's no guarantee that every craft will have wireless headset capability I assume? I've worked in noisy enough environments that both earplugs and muffs were required.. Doing that for hours at a time is... not comfy.

And if the answer is "get the $1500 set, it's peanuts compared to the cost of flight training, and it's worth it", then, cool.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Your $400 set is just “passive” ear protection. Clamps on your head and blocks sound. Your $1000+ headsets have some form of electronic noise cancelling. Will be much quieter not clamp your head so hard (they don't have to) but will require batteries. They may have extra features like Bluetooth etc. A20 is one of the most popular for a reason it's good. The DC10-13.4 was the majority of us pilots first headset great value good all round and indestructible. My grandfather still has his and now plugs it into his stereo at home after retirement. DC also makes the One-x a $1200 noise cancelling like the Bose. It's my current headset and I quite like it. Lighter more comfortable and significantly quieter with the noise cancelling on (almost as quiet as the 10-13.4 with the noise cancelling off. Something most noise cancelling headsets don't do well so I was surprised) best bet is to try a few on for comfort if you can. You can't get your ears back so yes most on here will advocate "just pick one of the $1500 ones." Which brand is going to be personal preference most likely

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I wonder how those Sigtronics noise cancelling headsets are? They are only $700. I have a cheap Sigtronics for passengers in my plane and it's worked great for years.

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm "get the $1500 set, it's peanuts compared to the cost of flight training, and it's worth it"
I had the David Clark H10-13.4 for training. They were good and still are. I now have a older Bose X and a Lightspeed Zulu and wouldn't want to go back to PNR. Look for used Bose or Lightspeeds on eBay or kijiji. You can get used ones for less than the price of a new DC. Replacement muffs and mics are cheap.

2Shoes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2Shoes »

I love my Clarity Aloft. No vice on the head, in fact nothing over your head at all. You can wear a hat, glasses, or anything you want without affecting the noise reduction. And no batteries to replace.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

2Shoes wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pmI love my Clarity Aloft. No vice on the head, in fact nothing over your head at all. You can wear a hat, glasses, or anything you want without affecting the noise reduction. And no batteries to replace.
If something like that existed but over-the-ear instead of earbuds, I'd be all over it. I really hate earbuds for extended periods.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

I went with the Bose A20s. I was able to try both the A20s and the Lightspeed Zulus and actually found that the Zulus sounded better, but the A20s fit more comfortably. This is directly opposite to what others have experienced and have told me... Best way is to get some hours on both and see what you prefer. From what I've been reading, you can't really go wrong with either.

IMO, if you're doing this full time, I really don't think you should consider anything but ANR headsets. Save the PNRs for your passengers 😀

Return to “General Comments”