need access to a A320, A330 or A340 sim

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FlyAround
Rank 0
Rank 0

need access to a A320, A330 or A340 sim

Post by FlyAround »

Could someone advise me of where there are Airbus sims in Canada? I'm trying to get a PPC done so I may apply for my Canadian ATPL. Been trying in Toronto but it seems the AC sim is booked up for the next decade.

I would prefer Toronto but willing to travel if needed.

Much appreciated any advise.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: need access to a A320, A330 or A340 sim

Post by Bede »

You don't need a PPC to get a Canadian ATPL- just a Group 1 (multi) instrument rating. I think that you can probably get that done at Cornwall or anywhere else with a Redbird sim. Way cheaper than getting an Airbus sim.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Just to be clear, you need to do the flight test in a level-D sim or an aircraft... Redbirds don't qualify. Rent a light twin and do an IPC, you'll be fine.

FlyAround
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyAround »

Thanks for the reply guys. Had the redbird thought but TC confirmed it’s not enough. Must be level C or D.

I’d prefer to do it in the sim cause I can show up and bang it out in an hour or so. With the light twin I need to do a couple prep flights and learn how to get my fingers around that Garmin 430....and I’m only back in Canada for a couple days. But yeah...may be my only option if a sim doesn’t pop up.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

CAE in Montreal. 310, 320, and 330 but they're running around the clock.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

With the amount of training AC needs to do I doubt you will find much SIM time available right now

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

FlyAround wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:49 pm Thanks for the reply guys. Had the redbird thought but TC confirmed it’s not enough. Must be level C or D.

I’d prefer to do it in the sim cause I can show up and bang it out in an hour or so. With the light twin I need to do a couple prep flights and learn how to get my fingers around that Garmin 430....and I’m only back in Canada for a couple days. But yeah...may be my only option if a sim doesn’t pop up.
you'll be able to do a type rating ride in the USA as well at most major training centers. Almost all of them have a TC designated check pilot on staff or you can arrange for TC to come to your part 142 training center of choice. You'll need TSA approval if you aren't american so that may put a damper on your timeline.

FlyAround
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyAround »

So sims are booked up in Montreal as well eh. damn.

Well that's a great idea to try the USA. Going to fire off some emails across the border. Hopefully there are some not too far from T.O.

Anyone know if the IPC actually requires a GPS approach? If I end up doing this in a light twin I'd rather just do a raw-data ILS and a non-precisions than screw around learning the Garmen 430 (Yeah I know it's not that hard, but it's easier for me not to have learn it for a single flight).

One more thing: Can anyone recommend the closest school to T.O.? I'll be staying like 10 minutes from down town. Nothing going on on island airport I suppose?

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

FlyAround wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 amAnyone know if the IPC actually requires a GPS approach? If I end up doing this in a light twin I'd rather just do a raw-data ILS and a non-precisions than screw around learning the Garmen 430 (Yeah I know it's not that hard, but it's easier for me not to have learn it for a single flight).
Yes.

Simulator software is available so you can muck around with it on your own time for free.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

FlyAround wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 am So sims are booked up in Montreal as well eh. damn.

Well that's a great idea to try the USA. Going to fire off some emails across the border. Hopefully there are some not too far from T.O.

Anyone know if the IPC actually requires a GPS approach? If I end up doing this in a light twin I'd rather just do a raw-data ILS and a non-precisions than screw around learning the Garmen 430 (Yeah I know it's not that hard, but it's easier for me not to have learn it for a single flight).

One more thing: Can anyone recommend the closest school to T.O.? I'll be staying like 10 minutes from down town. Nothing going on on island airport I suppose?
If you're used to a A320, rent a car and drive to London and use Diamond Flight Center. They have a DA-42 equipped with FADAC so there isn't six levers to manipulate, G1000 full glass, and they're likely the easiest to handle light twin. Flying a GPS approach in a light aircraft is no different than in a jet, there's just a few more dials to turn instead of a keypad on the FMS. you aren't allowed to do a step down non precision approach on an ifr flight test anymore, you're supposed to fly a CDA. I'm not sure if they will let you fly it with VNAV (which i believe their twinstar has).

it really shouldn't be an issue flying a light twin if you can fly an Airbus. its a lot less expensive and quicker.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

You could also contact CAE - they have training centres all over the world. Just a question of finding the location with the approvals that you need.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
FlyAround
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyAround »

I’m in touch with CAE now, but I’m going to tell them I’m avail for any centre in North America that has a TC examiner. I could fly there and back the same day if it’s East coast.

Sheesh the DA-42 is way nicer than the Airbus. Just googled the cockpit. That might do it for me. I’ll see if CAE gets back to me, if not, this is only option. The thing that concerns me is how many hours I’ll have to do before the test... With the sim there’s less variables. Anyway...

Guys, huge thanks for all your tips and help! really appreciate all your input.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Cessna 180 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:45 pm
FlyAround wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 am So sims are booked up in Montreal as well eh. damn.

If you're used to a A320, rent a car and drive to London and use Diamond Flight Center. They have a DA-42 equipped with FADAC so there isn't six levers to manipulate, G1000 full glass, and they're likely the easiest to handle light twin. Flying a GPS approach in a light aircraft is no different than in a jet, there's just a few more dials to turn instead of a keypad on the FMS. you aren't allowed to do a step down non precision approach on an ifr flight test anymore, you're supposed to fly a CDA. I'm not sure if they will let you fly it with VNAV (which i believe their twinstar has).

it really shouldn't be an issue flying a light twin if you can fly an Airbus. its a lot less expensive and quicker.
I just did an IPC in a Redbird, (not initial) you are allowed to use VNAV for your GPS approach, they consider it then a precision approach.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

You want to walk in and do a ppc without any training on the 320?

I can’t see any examiner allowing that.

FlyAround
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyAround »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm You want to walk in and do a ppc without any training on the 320?

I can’t see any examiner allowing that.
I’m rated on all 3 on my EASA Licence.

Return to “General Comments”