Apprentice ame logbook

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ThePunisher96
Rank 0
Rank 0

Apprentice ame logbook

Post by ThePunisher96 »

Currently I am able to get 18 months off my logbook because I have accreditation. I worked in production at bombardier aerospace on aircrafts. The aircrafts were not live maintenance aircrafts so I was not able to get any sign offs. I was wondering if you know if I would still be able to get more time off my log book because I worked on aircrafts as a mechanic. (I worked there for 3 years).

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Apprentice ame logbook

Post by 747-875 »

Hi

Unless things have drastically changed recently the time and the log book are two different things, and you will need to meet the minimum requirements of both before you can get an AME license.

Time: You need a given amount of time working experience, if I recall correctly it's typically measured in months of full time work but can be done in hours if working part time. Accredited schooling will reduce the time requirement by a set number but once you get to that number (18 months for a full AME/M course sounds right), you do have to go out work on airplanes for the rest. The times Transport advertises are the minimums, lots of people do take longer.

If you worked on "not live maintenance aircrafts" I'm not sure what that is so I would recommend contacting Transport and asking them. I would assume you do need to work on live aircraft but I could be wrong. Pro tip: if they say it does count then try to get either a reference to where they found that in the regulations and/or their answer in writing, so when you apply for your license if someone tries to say your time doesn't count then at least you have something in writing to point at. See fun side note below.

Tasks: This is the log book. Technically Transport Canada actually just has a list of tasks, not a formal log book, and all you have to do is keep a record of these tasks you've done. That said those neat little log books with the list of tasks inside are widely available and the vast majority of us found that getting one is by far the easiest and cleanest way to keep track. You will need to do 70% of the tasks (see fun side note below) and have them each signed off by an appropriate AME before you can apply for the license.

Fun side note: as for 70% of the tasks total, 70% of the tasks in each chapter, or 70% of the tasks applicable to the specific aircraft types you are working on, and also whether "additional tasks" scribbled in count or not, our experience was you could call Transport and ask ten times in one week and you'd get ten completely different answers, so the path of least resistance for us was to go find out who would be reviewing your log book at the end and just roll with whatever their interpretation was.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Aircraft in production in a factory, are not legally recognized as aircraft, until they are issued with a C of A.
This is why you will likely have difficulty getting time working in the factory recognized by T.C.
As far as getting tasks signed in your log book, the aircraft have to be registered with a C of A.
The time in the factory can still be useful experience, even if the time does not count.

I whole heartedly agree with 747-875 in regards to the "fun side note"
No two people at T.C. will give you the same answer to any given question.

One last thing. The plural of "aircraft" is "aircraft" :)

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Can confirm this. I contracted at Bombardier and the time nor the work counts for your AME logbook because of exactly what DH82EH said.

Unless you get into the Pre-flight Bay... those aircraft have registrations and CofA so if you are doing RNC rectification on Preflight Aircraft you can get that counted. However they don't really get unlicensed guys in there. I was only in there for trailing edge control rigging on the 7500s.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

DH82EH wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:01 pm
One last thing. The plural of "aircraft" is "aircraft" :)
Thanks for mentioning this DH82EH! So many do this now, including even the news media! For me, when I hear "aircrafts", it is like the sound made when scratching fingernails on a chalkboard!

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

How many Moose can you get in those aircraft? :mrgreen:

Return to “General Comments”