Who here has been ramped by TC?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Who here has been ramped by TC?

Post by Dronepiper »

Hello!

Who here has ever been ramped by TC? Where was it? What did they look for? What kind of aircraft were you flying?

I understand they look to see who is taking off with residual ice on the wings, but will TC go out of their way to take an entire load off of an airplane and weigh it, to see if you were actually within gross weight limits?

I stay within limits, and the rules, but I am genuinely curious about this. We all know that some northern operators will overload every-once in a while. I DO NOT condone this, but I just wonder if anyone has been caught.

I understand that only the TSB will weigh stuff, and that is only after an accident.

I have been flying for 10 years, and I have never been ramped by TC. I have no idea what is involved.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Who here has been ramped by TC?

Post by PilotDAR »

Yup, I've been randomly ramped twice in 40 years. Once in a C 150 arriving at the airshow in London, and the other time after landing from a TC flight test of a modified 185 at the dock in Yellowknife. In both cases, TC were fine, and I passed no problem. But, they did check all the documents, and what I was carrying in the cabin, and how it was secured.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Not TC, but I was ramped by EASA in a 738. They checked our licenses, flipped through our documents, requested proof of EFB approval, requested proof of our noise certificate/approval, proof of maintenance release/airworthiness, had us find an applicable NOTAM for the airport we just landed at, had us prove weather was checked, had us run duty day calculations. Those were the things off the top of my head. It seemed like a big treasure hunt game and a non event.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

I've been ramped once by TC, back in 2001 while flying a C-T310R. They approached me while I was doing my walk around, asked to see the documents, checked for valid insurance, C of R, C of A, W&B, my Licence and Medical. They were friendly. It took 10 mins. If you have your paperwork in order its a non event.

I have been SAFA ramped checked (in Morocco), it was a far more thorough inspection. Again if you have everything in order its no problem

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

I've seen them check for proof of Dangerous Goods Training, check the license booklet, and do a general walk around of the aircraft (which of course they have no type specific training on) and complain about paint missing on non structural components saying that it needs to be fixed when the aircraft is back at base and they want proof of the repair faxed within 24 hours. :roll:

I've also had cabin safety on board for a flight and they complained about a broken tray table latch (it still latched...) and a creased safety card (FA had replacements).

Never have I heard of them looking for anything that mattered, like proof of W+B, fuel required / uplift, px manifest, or checking that the bags / cargo matched the paperwork.

Sounds like maybe they should take lessons from EASA, but then they probably don't have the budget for it.

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

Just google "Transport Canada Ramp Check" - thats all you need to know!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The safety department asked me once at the gate what I was looking for during my daily safety checks. That's how I learned we were supposed to do safety checks in the cabin (safety as in terrorism prevention, not flight safety).

I explained that every flight I personally look for IEDs in the seat pockets and bombs left behind on the floor. I also explained that, if you really want to take a metro down, all you've got to do is wait... :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Ymo in a helicopter about 10 years ago. Checked the papers, did a quick walk around, chatted for 5 minutes and then left. All was in order, no problems. They were there on another audit and I guess just decided to walk the airport and check everyone.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Medevac Merlin 2A in Thompson in the early 2000s. Checked for all documents and asked to accompany me on a walk around. No big whoop.

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

normally you will be asked for your lic, medical and ppc documents and it is all in one document. You can check to see if the second page has been signed, check to see if the picture is you ( yes mistakes happen). If you happen to get a medical signed off in your old book and you get a new one you must carry both as the new one will not have the signature in it. All of this is doubtful ( except the photo) since they went to the ten year validity.

Usually one inspector looks at that and copies info down. While that is ongoing the other will ask for OFP, wt/bal info then look at logbook and perhaps C of R, C of A. They will check for pax briefing cards or what you have then perhaps compare the info to the actual location. I used to check condition of seat belts etc. Do a cursory walk around checking for dents and prop condition. If crew has other things to do they can do that, if i had questions i asked and if obvious defect i had them enter it in logbook. Also inspectors would observe pax movement to from terminal etc

It all depends on where you are and type of aircraft ie large or small, i have ramped most of the large National air operators and large tour charter operators as well.

If load is not secured it will be mentioned but you most likely weren't finished when TC approached you. Yes i have told the crew to unload as it was extremely obvious it was too heavy as the rear part of the floats were underwater.

The above was done by flight operations inspectors, cabin safety will do some other inspections depending on aircraft such as more details inside cabin and ramp. Maintenance will spend more time looking at the condition of aircraft and if " ramped" during a PI or PVI you might have all inspectors look at aircraft.

Perhaps even do an inflight inspection.

Above is just a quick response to the question, also if your aviation document is mutilated get a new one it is your responsibility to have your documents in order. If you get ramped at a remote sight and i have done it, there may not be cell coverage or communications available for TC to verify that you are current. There is no common sense anymore, no box for them to tick and cant call home.

TC inspectors are to identify themselves and present their TC identification.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I got ramped in YK once but when the TC guy walked into the aircraft (it was winter) and I was dressed in maintenance insulated coveralls I told him the captain had already left -- dodged that bullet -- :smt040

I have actually been ramped more often outside of Canada (canadian registered) than in country.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Had a lady in YYZ who gave me grief over my walkaround......I had chocked her wheels, quite funny spin front tire get out pull chock from rear drivers wheel, get in spin wheel, get out remove chock from frt pax wheel, puts head down in shame, drove away, never to return. Only other time was FAA guy in Louisville, looks at TCAA Licence" Oh Your canadian, I'm looking for US guys", pull out US license shakes his head walks away

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Does TC even ramp check any more? I thought that had all gone the way of SMS now, and you were supposed to ramp yourself, report any misdeeds to the appropriate company authority, and it was all overseen by TC?

Last time was God's Lake Narrows in about 2003...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Never, but I hardly fly and on the rare occasion I do I'm in some rental so those are probably factors.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

North Shore wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm Does TC even ramp check any more?
They do, I was ramp checked last year at CYXE, they checked the papers and complained one of the 100LL stickers was getting faded by the filler caps. I suspect you'll only encounter them on sunny days near one of their offices when they want to leave the office early for the day. I remember seeing them patrolling at smaller aerodromes giving the weekend warriors grief, but that was long ago. I remember one inspector telling me they used to get detailed to go to fly ins until it was too problematic, too many local flying community politics where everyone was bitching about everyone.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

More of an urban legend than anything else but in ancient times a new hire DOT (before TC) inspector was supposedly visiting Grace Lake, The Pas Manitoba. Thomas Lamb was still alive but lost his license due to heart problems. On this day, Tom was loading an Otter with his wife as a passenger. The inspector told Tom he could not fly that airplane because he did not have a valid medical. Tom said it was his airplane, docked on his lake and it is his wife in the airplane and flying out to his cabin on his lake. "besides, you are standing on my dock". Do not remember the outcome but when properly told, it made a good story.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I witnessed a ramp check, last year.
It was the first revenue flight of a new westjet 787!? FA told me they had flown it around training cabin crew etc a few times but it was first paid load! I was waiting to get on. It had been pressed into service with the MAX grounding. TC had asked for the logbooks, there was some clenched teeth, and some radio chatter and maintenance came running up the gangway a few mins later with the books!They were thick books.... all was well and off we went.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

oldtimer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm More of an urban legend than anything else but in ancient times a new hire DOT (before TC) inspector was supposedly visiting Grace Lake, The Pas Manitoba. Thomas Lamb was still alive but lost his license due to heart problems. On this day, Tom was loading an Otter with his wife as a passenger. The inspector told Tom he could not fly that airplane because he did not have a valid medical. Tom said it was his airplane, docked on his lake and it is his wife in the airplane and flying out to his cabin on his lake. "besides, you are standing on my dock". Do not remember the outcome but when properly told, it made a good story.
Ha ha! i heard a similar story from an ex-coworker of mine...he was flying the COs around doing camp checks, and at some point, they stopped for a quick fish. As they were hauling their lines out of the water, the CO asked my bud "By the way, do you have a fishing licence?" Of course, buddy didn't, so he replied, "No. But do you have a ride out of here?" :lol:

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Squaretail wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:56 am
North Shore wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm Does TC even ramp check any more?
They do, I was ramp checked last year at CYXE, they checked the papers and complained one of the 100LL stickers was getting faded by the filler caps. I suspect you'll only encounter them on sunny days near one of their offices when they want to leave the office early for the day. I remember seeing them patrolling at smaller aerodromes giving the weekend warriors grief, but that was long ago. I remember one inspector telling me they used to get detailed to go to fly ins until it was too problematic, too many local flying community politics where everyone was bitching about everyone.
The one time I was ramped was in YYR and it was -40. The inspector came out, asked us when our sched out was. We said 15 minutes, he informed us he wasn’t allowed to delay flights unless he thought there was a safety concern and told us to have a nice day. Didn’t check anything.

CT114Tutor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CT114Tutor »

If you're working for a bush/float operation, how do you balance a company who is pushing you to fly overweight with a risk of being ramp checked?

Return to “General Comments”