Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Corona Virus

Post by mbav8r »

Trematode wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:17 pm
'97 Tercel wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 pm
Too much reading....
Words are hard?

Guess you have no interest in hearing a first hand account from a doctor dealing with the explosion of ICU cases at their hospital in Northern Italy (it really sounds like an all-hands-on-deck situation). Nor does it sound like you're interested in their expression of frustration that the local populace flouts the quarantine guidance (that part sounds really hard to deal with, in terms of keeping one's sanity).

Thanks for taking the time to reply, though.
Thanks for posting that first hand account, perhaps the media could also attempt to convey first hand info to the public.
To be honest, this one scares me more than any other economic or health scare I’ve been around for, I have always tried to continue life as normal when issues crop up, keep spending like I would if everything was running along great but this one has me thinking real hard. That being said, I have a vacation coming up to a place with no reported cases(yet), if that changes I will have to consider that.
Keep safe out there, wash your hands often and don’t touch your face!
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

'97 Tercel wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 pm
Too much reading....
Yup skipped right over that

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Capt. Underpants wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 am
IMHO, there's a significant cultural component to the frustrations the Italian doctor expresses. Distrust of political leaders and flouting the "law" is a spectator sport over there.
The problem in North America will be that 75% of the population live check to check and can’t afford to stay home for 2 weeks. And you can’t wear a mask to work because then people will know. It will be in everyone’s best interest for the government to pay people’s wages if quarantined

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

WHO said today that over 70% of those who were sick with Covid-19 have now recovered, no longer carrying the virus. (80,000+ people).

mixturerich
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mixturerich »

The biggest problem with this virus was never the lethality. It’s all the hospitals filling up with sick people.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

So go long on health care providers. Got it.

7ECA
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 7ECA »

derateNO wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm
So go long on health care providers. Got it.
Probably a better bet would be medical supply companies, testing outfits, medical research, etc.

ayseven
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ayseven »

And I ditched pharma stock a few months ago. Typical.

'97 Tercel
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by '97 Tercel »

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

I'm more of a Kirkland man myself.

Charmin is too baller for Air Canada flat pay.

Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingaling »

Italy has really stepped things up and will see the benefit. They have stopped mortgage payments for a short time. This is a massive help. People are worried about making ends meet.
New York has in the last hour quarantined a square mile in an area with high infection rates.
National guard has arrived. Thank god they have an educated Mayor.

Last edited by Dingaling on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingaling »

Please take this seriously and wash your hands properly!!!
Humans can overcome anything but that’s with the right people in charge

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Based on years and years of seeing every person go take a shit or piss and walk out of a public bathroom without washing their hands it was only a matter of time before we had some gross virus hit us all.

Longtimer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Longtimer »

WestJet freezes hiring, considers suspending routes as COVID-19 hammers bottom line
News provided by Calgary Herald – link to full story and updates

WestJet Airlines has instituted a company-wide hiring freeze and is offering its employees voluntary buyout packages as COVID-19 takes a heavy toll on the company’s bottom line.

AMANDA STEPHENSON, CALGARY HERALD March 11, 2020

A WestJet Boeing 737 takes off from the Calgary International Airport on Jan. 23, 2020. GAVIN YOUNG / POSTMEDIA
WestJet Airlines has instituted a company-wide hiring freeze and is offering its employees voluntary buyout packages as COVID-19 takes a heavy toll on the company’s bottom line.

Spokeswoman Lauren Stewart confirmed in an email Wednesday that the airline is also reviewing its network with the aim of temporarily cutting routes and reducing network capacity by 12 per cent or more.

The Calgary-based airline said it is taking the actions to “protect the financial well-being” of the company. International travel restrictions and public fears about the coronavirus have “significantly weakened demand” across WestJet’s network, Stewart said.

The situation is compounded by the nearly year-long global grounding of the Boeing Max 8 aircraft, which has meant WestJet can no longer use 13 of its newest and most efficient aircraft. Stewart said WestJet CEO Ed Sims spoke to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday and informed him that the combined impact of the two global events has had a “dramatic” effect on the company’s business.

WestJet has not yet provided information about the future of its new Calgary-Rome, Italy flight, which is set to launch in May. On Monday, Air Canada announced it was cancelling all routes to and from Italy until May 1.

“This situation remains extremely fluid, we will not speculate on additional measure we may need to take,” Stewart said.

WestJet is also undertaking other cost-cutting initiatives, including the freezing of discretionary spending.

In a news conference Wednesday, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said he is concerned about the effect coronavirus is having across the entire economy, and mentioned WestJet specifically.

“They are an Alberta-based company and their yields and revenues and cash flow are down dramatically,” Kenney said.

More to come…

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Much ado about nothing. All this hype and hysteria over a “ novel” flu. But, the hysteria is having an impact or so it would seem.

I think this will blow over quickly once the media becomes bored.

Longtimer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Longtimer »

based on the WestJet notice, it is def. not about nothing. People are not travelling but I am surprised that WestJet has found it needed to go to this extent re layoffs etc. I guess their revenues are not good but since they are now a private company, they no long publish their quarterly reports. Portents of Pacific Western Airlines who were going great (making profits) until they decided to grow like Topsy. Sure hope the same is not true of WestJet.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I have family who work in healthcare. From their perspective, they doubt there will be a significant impact to aviation and the economy from this “ novel” virus.- expect to see effects somewhere between the common cold and a nasty seasonal flu.

I’m hoping their take on the situation turns out to be reality in that this will be nothing more than a minor blip and life will go on...

I do think the media loves fear and humans like the adrenaline from fear.

And yes, I was around for SARS, 9/11 and the financial crisis.

Last edited by GhostRider6 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

GhostRider6 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:32 pm
I have family who work in healthcare. From their perspective, they doubt there will be a significant impact to aviation and the economy from this “ novel” virus.
Your family may have a good understanding of healthcare, but they don't understand aviation.

The reason why airlines are struggling right now is because people aren't booking. Now is the time where airlines make a shit tonne of money in Canada as people book their summer vacations.

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by digits_ »

Longtimer wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm
based on the WestJet notice, it is def. not about nothing. People are not travelling but I am surprised that WestJet has found it needed to go to this extent re layoffs etc.
That doesn't prove this virus is bad or if it's nothing, only that people perceive it as bad, or -and this is more likely- people are afraid of the different measures governments are taking to counter the perceived bad virus.

I wouldn't mind travelling to Italy or Spain or France, but I won't, because I am afraid the government might close the borders or cancel my flights. I'm not afraid of the virus.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

7ECA
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 7ECA »

The Trump announcement (cancel all flights to/from Europe - except the UK) is going to kick the shit out of the industry.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

British people don't get sick? Must be the accent.

Strike me down with all of your hatred & your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Squaretail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 pm
British people don't get sick? Must be the accent.
Wouldn't want to restrict his kids from getting to his golf courses.

Good people drink beer. - Hunter S. Thompson

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Well in reality it's probably because they have a border and are not part of the free movement schengen area.

EPR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by EPR »

7ECA wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm
The Trump announcement (cancel all flights to/from Europe - except the UK) is going to kick the shit out of the industry.
Maybe, but maybe it’ll be short lasting, whereas our “ball-less” leader will make it fester!

Keep the dirty side down.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

EPR wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 pm
7ECA wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm
Maybe, but maybe it’ll be short lasting, whereas our “ball-less” leader will make it fester!
Lol. Trumps idiotic tweets pretty much singlehanded wiped out “his” three years of gains on the DJIA in a matter of days.

I like “ball-less” leaders. They don’t fck things up. It’s so interesting how people who complain about the government interfering with their lives are always the first ones wondering why they aren’t doing more.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “General Comments”