Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Eric Janson »

Shutdowns of bars/restaurants/entertainment % recreational facilities has already happened in multiple countries.

The 2 biggest Tour Operators in The Netherlands have cancelled all holiday packages - they will be repatriating everyone currently on holiday and then they will effectively shut down.

A Dutch organisation representing small businesses says the first bankruptcies will come this week. Mass layoffs in most sectors are inevitable as people stop spending.

This will be a long term issue imho - I don't expect things to return to normal.

I expect another wild week on the markets.

The World has changed.
---------- ADS -----------

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

More people Died in 2009 of swine flu than have been infected with covid . They never shut one airport due to that pandemic of flu in 2009 , not one train station , not one bus depot. Hopefully the panic will end soon and we can get back to our normal acceptance of people dying as part of life.
Of course the panic merchants and fear mongers continue to spread their misery .
The world survived the extinction of the dinosaurs , it will get on fine without humans :)

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Looks like some international flights are to be routed to just Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto.

Last edited by ehv8oar on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

2R wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:45 am More people Died in 2009 of swine flu than have been infected with covid . They never shut one airport due to that pandemic of flu in 2009 , not one train station , not one bus depot. Hopefully the panic will end soon and we can get back to our normal acceptance of people dying as part of life.
Of course the panic merchants and fear mongers continue to spread their misery .
The world survived the extinction of the dinosaurs , it will get on fine without humans :)
Maybe we learned a few things in 2009??
Maybe some of the lives lost to the influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 virus might have been saved if the "panic merchants and fear mongers" had the knowledge in 2009 that we have in March 2020 and similar precautions were taken back then??

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

There will probably be more suicides from the financial strain and fallout then the corona virus killed.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

fish4life wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 am There will probably be more suicides from the financial strain and fallout then the corona virus killed.
Exactly.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

“There are more than 340 presumptive and confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the country, with one known death linked to the virus”

From CBC this morning, I would give the country kudos for heading this off at the pass. What is interesting and more to the point gratifying,little if any bickering amongst all levels Federal, Provincial, Municipal governments. Also hardly any political partisan sniping and hyperventilating political bases. I give the current government high marks for dealing with the situation that is changing hourly.

Super31
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Super31 »

telex wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 pm Apparently a vote is required within seven days.
There are no MPs at work right now in Ottawa.
I assume the dear leader will make the best decision for the nation unilaterally.
This national emergency should have been activated two weeks ago. The longer they wait the more right f*****d we'll get.
Oh man

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

The order is to be tabled within 7 days. No vote required until the next sitting after it's tabled.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

2R wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:45 am More people Died in 2009 of swine flu than have been infected with covid . They never shut one airport due to that pandemic of flu in 2009 , not one train station , not one bus depot. Hopefully the panic will end soon and we can get back to our normal acceptance of people dying as part of life.
I made a similar post comparing this virus to the flu in January, and I was wrong, and you are wrong. The 2009 H1N1 strain had a mortality rate of .02% of the estimated 60.3 Million people infected in the US (according to the CDC). COVID-19 has an estimated 3.4% mortality rate. Less than .5% of this estimated to have H1N1 in 2009 required hospitalization, COVID-19 is 10%.

This is from the CDC website.

The (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from H1N1 viruses that were circulating at the time of the pandemic. Few young people had any existing immunity (as detected by antibody response) to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus, but nearly one-third of people over 60 years old had antibodies against this virus, likely from exposure to an older H1N1 virus earlier in their lives. Since the (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from circulating H1N1 viruses, vaccination with seasonal flu vaccines offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States. From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Old fella wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am “There are more than 340 presumptive and confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the country, with one known death linked to the virus”

From CBC this morning, I would give the country kudos for heading this off at the pass. What is interesting and more to the point gratifying,little if any bickering amongst all levels Federal, Provincial, Municipal governments. Also hardly any political partisan sniping and hyperventilating political bases. I give the current government high marks for dealing with the situation that is changing hourly.
Why do you think your cbc and the libs have been saying there are enhanced screening measures in place at all ports when in reality the "screening" consists of answering questions via a touch screen?

I give the libs very low marks.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

I have been wrong before :mrgreen:

A look back at swine flu: 8 facts about the world's last pandemic in 2009
Mackenzie Bean - Thursday, March 12th, 2020 Print | Email

The World Health Organization on March 11 declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic, the first such declaration in 11 years.
Here's a look back on the 2009 swine flu pandemic with eight key facts from the CDC:
1. The flu strain responsible for the outbreak — influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 — was first detected in America in April 2009.
2. The strain represented a unique combination of influenza viruses never before seen in humans or animals.
3. The virus quickly spread globally, primarily affecting children and adults under 65 who lacked immunity to H1N1.
4. The WHO declared the swine flu outbreak a pandemic on June 11, 2009.
5. Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S.
6. On Oct. 5, 2009, the U.S. began administering a newly approved H1N1 vaccine to select Americans, with vaccination coverage expanding nationwide by that December.
7. WHO declared an end to the pandemic on Aug. 10, 2010.
8. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has sickened 1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.
More articles on public health:
Kaiser Permanente donates $1M to bolster coronavirus response
WHO: Coronavirus outbreak is a pandemic
Up to 150M Americans predicted to get COVID-19 and 8 other pandemic updates

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

becker@beckershealthcare.com

Copyright © 2020 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Interested in linking to or reprinting our content? View our policies by clicking here.
The Becker's Hospital Review website uses cookies to display relevant ads and to enhance your browsing experience. By continuing to use our site, you acknowledge that you have read, that you understand, and that you accept our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.

4/5 Articles Left - Sign-Up for Our Newsletter to get Unlimited Access

Already signed up? Click here to confirm your preferences.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Old fella wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am “There are more than 340 presumptive and confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the country, with one known death linked to the virus”

You know that it's definitely not business as usual when Ontario Premier Doug Ford has high praise for the Liberal government in Ottawa - in particular for Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland - on their handling of the situation thus far.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

fish4life wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 am There will probably be more suicides from the financial strain and fallout then the corona virus killed”

Yup!

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I think more could have been done to stop this thing.
I had a family member fly yesterday apparently the flight had several people hacking and coughing up a storm.

When my healthy family member brought the ill people/ the latest message from AC concerning flying when Sick to the attention of the CSA (politely) my family member was offered this by the CSA: “ it’s your decision If you want to fly...if you’re that worried about sick people maybe you should drive.” 🙄

If you’re sick stay home.. whether it’s sniffles, bronchitis, COVID .. what happened to common sense?

Similarly, deny boarding to those who are sick and lets keep facets of the already decimated economy going. Sadly, I think the GOVT will need to intervene...

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I don’t understand how some of you can be so ignorant, claiming it’s all just panic and hysteria. Is your head so far up your ass that you cannot see what’s going on in Italy, for example? If we don’t take early precautions, can you imagine what might happen to the healthcare system here? You make a joke about humans dying, yet don’t you have any elderly people in your life that would possibly die if they caught this virus?

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

A large amount of this is hysteria. Sit yourself down and think about it. First world problems.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 am I don’t understand how some of you can be so ignorant, claiming it’s all just panic and hysteria. Is your head so far up your ass that you cannot see what’s going on in Italy, for example? If we don’t take early precautions, can you imagine what might happen to the healthcare system here? You make a joke about humans dying, yet don’t you have any elderly people in your life that would possibly die if they caught this virus?
Let's find a happy medium then.

People die everyday from all types of terrible things. No one bats an eye until it's a big panic on the news.

The statistical numbers on covid-19 are strictly recorded cases vs. recorded deaths. With the amount of people not even showing symptoms or not caring about a cold and not going to a hospital the actual lethality of this is lower.

Covid-19 has seen confirmed patients in China since early November 2019. It didn't just land here 2 weeks ago. You might have had it already anytime since then.

The markets were well overdue for a correction, coronavirus is the divine intervention that the markets needed to shed it's recession. Things will pick up again after this blows through and we can all go about worrying and panicking about the next disaster.

Simple lack of access to food, water and shelter probably kills more people yearly than this will too.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Heliian wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 am
People die everyday from all types of terrible things. No one bats an eye until it's a big panic on the news.
Except the terrible things people die from everyday don’t overload the healthcare system all at once. That’s why there is panic.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

telex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 am

Why do you think your cbc and the libs have been saying there are enhanced screening measures in place at all ports when in reality the "screening" consists of answering questions via a touch screen?

I give the libs very low marks.
“Your CBC”..... appears I just snagged one of those hyper partisans. Fair enough and your views are yours and certainly entitled to them. In my view any sitting Government regardless political stripe wouldn’t do any better/worse that the current occupant. It is unprecedented as I see it outside of the 1970 October crisis and I was around then and remember it well. I might as well ask what would “Chopper” MacKay or “The Toole” do if either of theses chaps had the keys to the big office. Failing anything they could call on their Social Conservatives brethren for input perhaps calling an immediate prayer breakfast, opening their bibles telling us mortals we are “ in their thoughts and prayers” and throughout the tough times continuing to “ pray” for all :heart:

Return to “General Comments”