Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Corona Virus

Post by sullecpt »

All the major airlines in Canada are getting nuked. Be prepared folks. We are all in big trouble. I hope we can come out strong when it all ends.
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Old fella wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:47 am
telex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 am
Old fella wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am “There are more than 340 presumptive and confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the country, with one known death linked to the virus”

From CBC this morning, I would give the country kudos for heading this off at the pass. What is interesting and more to the point gratifying,little if any bickering amongst all levels Federal, Provincial, Municipal governments. Also hardly any political partisan sniping and hyperventilating political bases. I give the current government high marks for dealing with the situation that is changing hourly.
Why do you think your cbc and the libs have been saying there are enhanced screening measures in place at all ports when in reality the "screening" consists of answering questions via a touch screen?

I give the libs very low marks.
“Your CBC”..... appears I just snagged one of those hyper partisans. Fair enough and your views are yours and certainly entitled to them. In my view any sitting Government regardless political stripe wouldn’t do any better/worse that the current occupant. It is unprecedented as I see it outside of the 1970 October crisis and I was around then and remember it well. I might as well ask what would “Chopper” MacKay or “The Toole” do if either of theses chaps had the keys to the big office. Failing anything they could call on their Social Conservatives brethren for input perhaps calling an immediate prayer breakfast, opening their bibles telling us mortals we are “ in their thoughts and prayers” and throughout the tough times continuing to “ pray” for all :heart:
So you continue to give give high praise because nobody else could do better. Got it.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

telex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Why do you think your cbc and the libs have been saying there are enhanced screening measures in place at all ports when in reality the "screening" consists of answering questions via a touch screen?

“Your CBC”..... appears I just snagged one of those hyper partisans. Fair enough and your views are yours and certainly entitled to them. In my view any sitting Government regardless political stripe wouldn’t do any better/worse that the current occupant. It is unprecedented as I see it outside of the 1970 October crisis and I was around then and remember it well. I might as well ask what would “Chopper” MacKay or “The Toole” do if either of theses chaps had the keys to the big office. Failing anything they could call on their Social Conservatives brethren for input perhaps calling an immediate prayer breakfast, opening their bibles telling us mortals we are “ in their thoughts and prayers” and throughout the tough times continuing to “ pray” for all :heart:
So you continue to give give high praise because nobody else could do better. Got it.
I stand by my viewpoints. Over and Out!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Looks like borders will be closed across the EU by the end of the week.

A 30 day travel ban is also being discussed. That looks very optimistic to me.

Airline after Airline has cancelled between 85% - 100% of flights. A total flight shutdown looks like a real possibility.

You will see the same in N America imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm Looks like borders will be closed across the EU by the end of the week.

A 30 day travel ban is also being discussed. That looks very optimistic to me.

Airline after Airline has cancelled between 85% - 100% of flights. A total flight shutdown looks like a real possibility.

You will see the same in N America imho.
I am afraid you are correct

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

I don't think government's can be too aggressive with measures to contain the virus.

Consider this, the governor of NY said if 40% of the population got infected and 17% needed hospitalization they would need 1.25 million hospital beds. They have 53k. Nevermind deciding who gets a ventilator.

If the curve is sufficiently flattened, they can manage. If not, Italy.

If they overreact, it can be undone, but what isn't done, can't be undone.

Trematode
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Trematode »

2R wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:17 am I have been wrong before :mrgreen:
I am shocked people are having so much trouble extrapolating and insist on comparing an entire year's worth of data to our present situation.

It took 8 months for the H1N1 pandemic to kill ~7.1k people worldwide (April 1st - November 18th, 2009).

We've reached that point with COVID-19 in what? two and half? Three? And that's with extreme quarantine measures being undertaken throughout the globe.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Trematode wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:38 pm
I am shocked people are having so much trouble extrapolating and insist on comparing an entire year's worth of data to our present situation.

It took 8 months for the H1N1 pandemic to kill ~7.1k people worldwide (April 1st - November 18th, 2009).

We've reached that point with COVID-19 in what? two and half? Three? And that's with extreme quarantine measures being undertaken throughout the globe.
Today, Canada has seen about a 30% increase in 1 day, worldwide about 20%.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

dialdriver wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm
Trematode wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Today, Canada has seen about a 30% increase in 1 day, worldwide about 20%.
Careful with your observations. Positive test results does not indicate current number of cases.

It's actually worse than you think. For every person that is tested as positive today, you can anticipate a tenfold increase as of today compared to that number.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

It's definitely getting real in BC. My wife has already had contact with two people who had contact with confirmed cases. I was just at the Nanaimo hospital and they have patients in the hallways instead of in rooms and this is before Covid-19. A nurse told me they are at their normal load of 130% of capacity. There's no room for anyone catching Covid-19 on Vancouver Island.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Old fella wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am “There are more than 340 presumptive and confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the country, with one known death linked to the virus”

From CBC this morning, I would give the country kudos for heading this off at the pass. What is interesting and more to the point gratifying,little if any bickering amongst all levels Federal, Provincial, Municipal governments. Also hardly any political partisan sniping and hyperventilating political bases. I give the current government high marks for dealing with the situation that is changing hourly.

Wow. In the face of a global pandemic i still see that partisan dicks still spout stupidity. Nice job bud. Feel better now you morally superior @#$!

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Is this virus bad? Absolutely

Will it the end world? No... But human stupidity might.

All the hysteria and panic is a little excessive, I mean, for crying out loud, I went to 3 stores and couldn't buy toilet paper... Are you kidding me? What on earth is toilet paper gonna do? Hell if you run out in your home, it's called a shower, which because some nut jobs decided to hoard all of the TP, I may actually have to resort to (I won't actually, I'm sure I'll eventually find toilet paper, when I actually run out and need some...)

Seriously, the toilet paper example is the simplest one of overreacting... Counter meseaures should've been taken a long time ago but everyone kept saying "oh, the risk is low in our country"... I understand that taking the drastic meseaures that are occurring now would've been very consequential on the economy a few months ago, but they're consequential now, and probably worse then they would've been months ago (had measures been taken then)

I came back to Canada from working overseas almost 2 weeks ago before this became a pandemic... I traveled to many, many countries over the last month, some of which weren't really affected (then) to some which saw a massive surge in cases literally the day I was leaving that particular country. All I got asked at the airport on the e deceleration was if I've been to the province of hubei... Then the CBSA agent asked where I was coming from, to which I replied and he said have a nice night.

Seriously? Now they decided to put more "stringent meseaures in place"

Yea, sorry, what's done is done... I legit fear that hospitals will get overwhelmed, but I hope I'm wrong...

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Yeah I'm out of TP and spent an hour trying to find some. No dice. I guess it's poop then shower for me going foward....

Vancouver literally has a factory in the city (new west) and it's not like we're short on raw materials.

People are dumb.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

The TP shortage is a nice example of supply chain disruption.

It won't stop with TP - for example anything produced in China won't be getting re-stocked. Once the current supply runs out - that's it.

People haven't figured this out yet - once they do it will be complete anarchy in the stores.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:43 am The TP shortage is a nice example of supply chain disruption.

It won't stop with TP - for example anything produced in China won't be getting re-stocked. Once the current supply runs out - that's it.

People haven't figured this out yet - once they do it will be complete anarchy in the stores.
Better run to the local party store and stock up on goofy green hats for St. Patty’s Day. 😲

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I bought a case of Nutella today. Should last me three days, then who knows what I’ll do. Probably reenact the Shining. Redrum, redrum.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 am I bought a case of Nutella today. Should last me three days, then who knows what I’ll do. Probably reenact the Shining. Redrum, redrum.
LOL
“Heeere’s Jonnnie”

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Buy yourself some mentos and chew on them slowly. Ration yourself to one mento a day!

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:43 am The TP shortage is a nice example of supply chain disruption.

I wonder if this situation is the trigger that finally starts price inflation?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

...So it's curtains for Canadian Tire, then? :smt040

More seriously, anarchy might be overstating things, but friction, yes...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “General Comments”