Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Corona Virus

Post by derateNO »

North Shore wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:43 am The TP shortage is a nice example of supply chain disruption.

It won't stop with TP - for example anything produced in China won't be getting re-stocked. Once the current supply runs out - that's it.

People haven't figured this out yet - once they do it will be complete anarchy in the stores.

...So it's curtains for Canadian Tire, then? :smt040

More seriously, anarchy might be overstating things, but friction, yes...
Why anarchy? What do people need THAT MUCH that comes from China?

We'll survive.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I think that a lot of us would be *very* surprised at the amount of our goods (including food) that come from China.
And, it doesn't need to be scarcity of goods - even just perceived scarcity will cause an uptick in panic buying, etc.. I was in my local grocery store this AM; all of the TP was completely sold out - almost 3/4 of an aisle of empty shelves. We have a Japanese style washlet in our house, and I know that TP is made in a factory in our city, so it's not an immediate concern for me/us as a household, yet I still had a little frisson of anxiety shoot up my spine. What if it's empty shelves of milk, flour, veggies, etc...'staples' that are *always* there...I can see that sparking panic buying of a lot of stuff, with consequent friction as some people buy more than their perceived share...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Canadians tend to NOT be anarchists. If this hiccup in the supply chain prompts Canucks to anarchy, then it's all over.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

North Shore wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:34 pm What if it's empty shelves of milk, flour, veggies, etc...'staples' that are *always* there...I can see that sparking panic buying of a lot of stuff, with consequent friction as some people buy more than their perceived share...
Already happened. See my pics below...

This is over the last 2 days from various walmart, no frills and loblaws...most shelves are either TP, milk, meat, veggies or bread...

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

I'd like to add that my wife who works in a pharmacy at the local hospital is sending out e-mails outlining how to handle the shortage of medicine. The concern right now is sourcing the correct active ingredients for meds, which mostly come from China according to the hospital. They are moving meds around between partner hospitals, paying through their nose for same day delivery from drug companies. They're making it work, for now.

It's just the beginning.

Also, milk. Are people freezing milk? I don't get why every store I go to does not have milk. People are also buying baby formula as a substitute for milk, leaving families who need that stuff out to dry.

Daniel Gustin
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Because it seems that people have literally no common sense... the virus doesn't appear to be that bad. The current number from confirmed cases and deaths is roughly 4%, which is probably more like 1 to 2% given all the unconfirmed/diagnosed cases due to asymptomatic people...and people are forgetting that the death rate of 4% currently is the elderly... majority over 80, with next highest rate being 70 and above. The death rate for those under 50 is virtual 0

It's contagious which is what is worrisome. I'm not down playing it but jezz this isn't ebola where the case fatality rate is on average 50%

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

If this is the worst crisis you go through in your life....life is pretty good. Just saying.

Things can be unimaginably --- worse

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:05 pm If this is the worst crisis you go through in your life....life is pretty good. Just saying.

I'm getting tired over the hysteria of no TP and isolation for a few weeks. Just not that big a deal.
What is a big deal though is if people DON'T take it seriously and we end up with huge amounts of people in the hospital/ICU at the same time.

I think the attitude that "oh it's just a flu, young people will be ok" really needs to die. YES, you will likely be fine but being a potential source of the virus to others who are not healthy when you are a-symptomatic is the issue.

The longer this goes on the more I learn who of my friends are extremely selfish people. It's not hard to just hang out at home. If you HAVE to leave to go to a job for fear of losing it that I understand. But the amount of people I see still going to bars/clubs/restaurants etc. is insane. They just say "oh I'm young I'm probably going to get it anyways so may as well just get it over with." Bad excuse. It's not about YOU, it's about the 60-80 year olds who will probably die or could die if they end up in the ICU when no beds or ventilators are available. Or people who have compromised immune systems or lung problems.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Yeah, do the right thing. Stay home. Cancel your vacation. Get laid off for a period. Even, Go without TP. Whatever!

Just don't bitch about it, as I'm reading incessantly on social media. You'd think everyone was world war 1, trying to survive in the trenches in France. FFS!

Not London, WW2, with the bombs falling.

These are NOT life changing events, for the overwhelmingly majority of people.

Life will go on!

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:29 pm Yeah, do the right thing. Stay home. Cancel your vacation. Get laid off for a period. Even, Go without TP. Whatever!

Just don't bitch about it, as I'm reading incessantly on social media. You'd think everyone was world war 1, trying to survive in the trenches in France. FFS!

These are NOT life changing events, for the overwhelmingly majority of people.
Hear! Hear!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

twa22 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm Because it seems that people have literally no common sense... the virus doesn't appear to be that bad. The current number from confirmed cases and deaths is roughly 4%, which is probably more like 1 to 2% given all the unconfirmed/diagnosed cases due to asymptomatic people...and people are forgetting that the death rate of 4% currently is the elderly... majority over 80, with next highest rate being 70 and above. The death rate for those under 50 is virtual 0
No common sense, huh?

I'm going to guess you're in your twenties.

I have about ten near relatives in their seventies, and my mother is nearly ninety. All of them are presently in reasonable or good health, and absent recent virus pandemics, have a decent life expectancy. I'm very fond of all of them. Add in another half dozen friends aged seventy and over, too.

Statistically, more than one of them will spend weeks in hospital on artificial ventilation (if a ventilator is actually available at that time) and more than one of them will die from this infection in the next few months. Which ones would you like it to be?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:09 pm
twa22 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm Because it seems that people have literally no common sense... the virus doesn't appear to be that bad. The current number from confirmed cases and deaths is roughly 4%, which is probably more like 1 to 2% given all the unconfirmed/diagnosed cases due to asymptomatic people...and people are forgetting that the death rate of 4% currently is the elderly... majority over 80, with next highest rate being 70 and above. The death rate for those under 50 is virtual 0
No common sense, huh?

I'm going to guess you're in your twenties.

I have about ten near relatives in their seventies, and my mother is nearly ninety. All of them are presently in reasonable or good health, and absent recent virus pandemics, have a decent life expectancy. I'm very fond of all of them. Add in another half dozen friends aged seventy and over, too.

Statistically, more than one of them will spend weeks in hospital on artificial ventilation (if a ventilator is actually available at that time) and more than one of them will die from this infection in the next few months. Which ones would you like it to be?
You misunderstood my post. My no common sense comment was referring to raiding grocery stores of supplies and then not having anything left for others who may seriously need some of those things... TP you could get by, but some things like potatos or milk are definitely more essential... People acting in selfish manner by hoarding everything because they think the apocalypse is coming is not a good thing. Stores should have been limiting the quantity people can buy, because i do suspect its a hoarding issue here rather then everyone was at the store and wiped everything off the shelves

Don't for a second think that I don't care about the elderly, or anyone else who may be affected by this because of overwhelmed hospitals that could potentially occur... I sincerely hope they don't, and that people do take this seriously. I didn't say it here, but I said to my friends in January, action should've been taken then. There is a difference between overreacting and mass hysteria, versus being relatively calm and doing the correct thing early so we avoid what is going on now

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

The last couple days confirmed cases in Canada increased by about 30%/day, currently at about 600.

If cases increased by the same rate for 30 days, we would see 1.5 million. In 40, about 22 million.

Not saying that will actually happen, but it illustrates the problem.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

bUt ItS jUSt ThE fLU

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

It's contagious which is what is worrisome. I'm not down playing it but jezz this isn't ebola where the case fatality rate is on average 50%
Wrong. In order to calculate the death rate, you have to only take into account closed cases (ie: those that were cured and those that died). There were 91,000 closed cases since the beginning and 8,000 deaths for an 8.8% death rate. By your math, we’re looking at a 3-4% death rate. It is quite high.

Ebola wasn’t nearly as virulent. There were only 29k cases in the two years it resurged between 14 and 16 and 11k deaths. There are 8k deaths in just a couple of months and there is no sign of slowing down.

Going for the deck at corner
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

twa22 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm Because it seems that people have literally no common sense... the virus doesn't appear to be that bad.
Do you live under a rock? Look what’s happening in Italy and then say it “doesn’t appear to be that bad”.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

mixturerich wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm
twa22 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm Because it seems that people have literally no common sense... the virus doesn't appear to be that bad.
Do you live under a rock? Look what’s happening in Italy and then say it “doesn’t appear to be that bad”.
A culture that’s highly social, highly passionate and physical, prone to excesses (food, drink, tobacco), aging, and are closet anarchists.

Maybe look at South Korea instead.

It’s not that bad.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Not that bad?

I think it's just a different age group.

Keep in mind South Korea got a handle on this LONG ago, well before the stage we already are at in Canada. Not to mention many people in SK wear masks when they are sick (which only help the spread of disease) and are much more socially aware when they are sick than people in western countries, Canada and the USA specifically.

We can't keep comparing ourselves to SK, HK, Taiwan and China.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 pm The last couple days confirmed cases in Canada increased by about 30%/day, currently at about 600.

If cases increased by the same rate for 30 days, we would see 1.5 million. In 40, about 22 million.

Not saying that will actually happen, but it illustrates the problem.
Misinformation and panic is the problem, hospitals at overcapacity as the norm is the problem, cuts to healthcare is a problem.

Didn't matter until now did it?

This is going to burn over faster than it came in, I don't know what the troll farms will switch to then.

Return to “General Comments”