Instances of reversed controls

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Instances of reversed controls

Post by tractor driver »

Weight shift ultralights, ie. trikes, are reverse controlled compared to conventional aircraft. You pull back to go descend, push forward to climb, push right to go left, etc. Even taxing is reversed, you push left pedal to go right and vice versa.
---------- ADS -----------

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am
control reversal is a high-speed phenomenon, and is one of the criteria that Vne is based on.
It is true that any tendency for control reversal is not permitted up to Vne, but its not really what Vne is based on, it just may not occur up to Vne, as a number of other things. The control reversal mentioned in that design requirement is a stability or thin wing twisting situation, rather than a maintenance error. ... The same design requirement also mentions control force reversal, which is a different thing.
Yes, all true, which is why I said "one of".
PilotDAR wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am Any situation where control reversal occurred at high speed would be preceded by instability which was disqualifying for certification.
This may be true in most cases, but it's certainly not universal. Historically, at least one aircraft ran into control reversal and/or wing divergence prior to any kind of aerodynamic instability (I believe I'm talking about the Fokker D8 photofly mentioned above, but most of my books are in storage, so I can't look it up right now). I'd be surprised if there weren't others.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am The closest a pilot is likely to ever get to a control reversal (faulty maintenance excluded) would be when you're fooling around at the point of the stall, and find that the ailerons are completely ineffective ('cause they're stalled)
Note also 14 CFR 25.203:
It must be possible to produce and to correct roll and yaw by unreversed use of the aileron and rudder controls, up to the time the airplane is stalled.
Although canonical teaching is not to use ailerons for roll control when stalled, in many airplanes it works well, and in at least one (Grumman Tiger) the POH specifies that in a stall "aileron is effective for roll control" and "both [aileron and rudder] should be used as necessary to control roll and yaw through the stall."

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Speaking of stalls...
Exceeding VNE in a helicopter will produce unfavourable results due to retreating blade stall.

During the stall, the aircraft will go out of control, pitching up and rolling. Trying to push forward will only make it worse.

I only know one person who experienced it and lived to tell about it.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Weight shift ultralights, ie. trikes, are reverse controlled compared to conventional aircraft. You pull back to go descend, push forward to climb, push right to go left, etc. Even taxing is reversed, you push left pedal to go right and vice versa.
Of course hang gliders are identical to trikes in this regard. It was not a problem for me to transition to the trike/ HG a few years back ( but then I did HG 30 yrs ago for 1 summer so it was likely ingrained into me )

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

corethatthermal wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:47 pm Ok, Here is another bird brained idea by the Core! What if one were to reverse the aileron controls ( intentionally and safely and legally ) and then become proficient. This A/C could be used for reverse control training ! Also, have the elevator controls reversed in the same manner !
Well, it's been done *un*intentionally. An amateur-built in the lower mainland was rigged backwards (cable-operated) in the ailerons, resulting in left stick giving a right roll response. The pilot doing the test flight realized it on climbout, immediately stopped trying to turn, and then swapped to his non-dominant hand flying the stick. Then he very carefully flew a wide, flat circuit and landed again safely. And probably went to change his underwear afterwards. This happened back in the '70's, I understand.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

corethatthermal wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:37 pmOn a bicycle, you turn the handlebar to the left to make a left turn, on a motorcycle you do the same at walking pace. At highway speed, you do the opposite ( reversed? )
The inputs are the same on a bike as on a motorcycle. At walking pace, you can turn in the direction of travel. At any appreciable speed at all, you need to initiate the turn with a counter-steer to the other side. It happens very quickly on a bicycle but it does happen. You can't turn without it.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

It happens very quickly on a bicycle but it does happen
Yes and the reason why i suggested doing a practical experiment with a bicycle wheel !

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I thought there was a HS- 748 that behaved like it had controls reversed but it started with mis rigging? crashed near ottawa?

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

There were also several high profile accidents on the 737, where the rudders got reversed due to faults in the hydraulic unit.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I seem to recall a story of a midsized prop liner that had controls reversed"convair/martin etc...... thye purposely changed the control hookups by a few inches "offset" so you could not connect them incorrectly. Can anyone confirm?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I seem to recall a story of a midsized prop liner that had controls reversed"convair/martin etc...... thye purposely changed the control hookups by a few inches "offset" so you could not connect them incorrectly. Can anyone confirm?
anofly wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm I thought there was a HS- 748 that behaved like it had controls reversed but it started with mis rigging? crashed near ottawa?
I understand that it caused a hardover on the ailerons, and the captain pulled hard trying to split s it.

Here is the report http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/recommanda ... a9119.html

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 am I seem to recall a story of a midsized prop liner that had controls reversed"convair/martin etc...... thye purposely changed the control hookups by a few inches "offset" so you could not connect them incorrectly. Can anyone confirm?
Someone (PilotDAR?) pointed that out a few posts ago.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:29 pm I talked to a test pilot who got a ride on a B-52(which is similar to the B-52). Perhaps it was the earlier model with ailerons instead of spoilers. The pilot flying said to watch the wing as he put in roll control and there was significant reactive movement of the wing. Of course, they are long, flexible wings.
https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/85367-b ... post814361

Return to “General Comments”