CATSA Aircrew Protocol

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

CATSA Aircrew Protocol

Post by GhostRider6 »

Hi,

Where can CATSA’s aircrew screening protocol be found?

Can they ask for my phone and conduct a search of my phone? Company IPad?

When my lunch packs are confiscated when I am an operating crew member because they had a bad day. Then I end up throwing out my meals. What recourse do I have?

Is CATSA allowed to confiscate my plastic child’s cutlery?

Does CATSA have the right to ask me for my Aircraft Reg, Gate, Flight Number, departure time, destination?

Do I need to show my OFP to CATSA?

Can CATSA really contact my company to confirm my flight?

How long can CATSA stop and question me about my flight and days itinerary on the way to a flight?

Are they allowed to search my bags in detail.

What are their lines/ boundaries that they cannot intrude into?

What information does CATSA have a right to vs not? Eg. Being asked about my family composition / children/ names.

The situations above have occurred and I did not feel good about it.

Can male CATSA employees search through attractive FA’s baggage and rifle through her undergarments?

I do feel like I ( and others ) have had inconsistent screening that may have amounted to power tripping over the years. I do think aircrew get the brunt of this..I’ve worked as a rampie and had almost zero problems until I put on a pilot uniform.

I do not believe in harassing security personnel / belligerent conduct at screening points. However, with this being said, if CATSA has limits to what they can do I do think CATSA should be reminded gently of those limits and be respectfully directed back back to their professional code of conduct. I also think the professional conduct needs to go both ways. It would be helpful to have a copy of their protocol to do this..

Similarly, if I witness conduct unbecoming is there a resource is can direct fellow pilots and FA’s to? Can I stop instances that I feel are intrusive ? ( FA incident above)

I do not think these “ officers” should have free reign to do what they want. The same goes for police and Customs.

When can we pushback and say “ NO” !
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: CATSA Aircrew Protocol

Post by rookiepilot »

I used to think TSA was bad....but they cleaned up their act.

Up here...not so much.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Where do you work? I’ve never had any issues even close to those. As annoying as it is the process is normally pretty straight forward.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They have absolutely no authority to search through your phone or ask any questions as to where or what you are flying. If they do, ask to speak to their supervisor. I generally say little to nothing to them and go on my way.

Let’s Go Brandon
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

I hate CATSA with a passion. The inconsistencies between airports, and even just the day at the same airport.

That being said I keep my mouth shut, nod and smile and move on.

It's a minor inconvenience and not worth the hassle to cause a fuss. Especially if you get someone with a superiority complex who snatches your RAIC before you can get it back in your hands.

Last edited by derateNO on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

I’m fairly sure their protocol if you asked is going to be “you don’t need to know”. Nor do I think you have any right to such information since it’s probably internal eyes only. That said, if you feel an agent is overstepping, ask to speak to the checkpoint manager. Otherwise there’s an avenue to file a complaint online on the CATSA website.

As always, respect goes a long way when problems arise. Cooler heads prevail and all.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Just remember, it's not your right to travel through an airport.

I have never had a problem, anywhere. Sure, they ask questions and rifle through your bag but if you just let them do it without complaining you'll be fine.

It's not a systemic problem, how many aircrew go through security a day without issue?

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

GhostRider6 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm Hi,

try their website

no. Tell them to pound sand. They are not police

When my lunch packs are confiscated when I am an operating crew member because they had a bad day. Then I end up throwing out my meals. What recourse do I have?
shit out of luck.

they can take away the knife. Maybe the fork...but I always get a metal knife on board. Only place I’ve had problems is yeg

Does CATSA have the right to ask me for my Aircraft Reg, Gate, Flight Number, departure time, destination?
no

no

what? Are you trying to sneak through security on a day off?

How long can CATSA stop and question me about my flight and days itinerary on the way to a flight?
depends. They won’t let you through if they think you are a threat. And you can’t go through security to see your daughter off.

yes

”are you gay, what is your religion, are you single, do you diddle kids, do you diddle animals” kind of sums up questions they ar3 no5 supposed to ask.

What information does CATSA have a right to vs not? Eg. Being asked about my family composition / children/ names.
none of their business

The situations above have occurred and I did not feel good about it. who cares how you feel?

Can male CATSA employees search through attractive FA’s baggage and rifle through her undergarments? they can rifle through any back. What if she wasn’t hot? Would it be ok to rifle through some dog’s bag? On a side note, sometimes my wife puts weird ass shit in my bag , just so I look like the pervert that I am to CATSA

I do feel like I ( and others ) have had inconsistent screening that may have amounted to power tripping over the years. I do think aircrew get the brunt of this..I’ve worked as a rampie and had almost zero problems until I put on a pilot uniform.
yes it is power tripping. Don’t play their game. Ask for a supervisor. Always have a witness with you. Be polite. Don’t swear Never go in the body scanner. Ask for the pat down. And, again, have a witness.

I do not believe in harassing security personnel / belligerent conduct at screening points. However, with this being said, if CATSA has limits to what they can do I do think CATSA should be reminded gently of those limits and be respectfully directed back back to their professional code of conduct. I also think the professional conduct needs to go both ways. It would be helpful to have a copy of their protocol to do this..

Similarly, if I witness conduct unbecoming is there a resource is can direct fellow pilots and FA’s to? Can I stop instances that I feel are intrusive ? ( FA incident above)
FAs should know their rights. Demand a female agent examine her belongings

I do not think these “ officers” should have free reign to do what they want. The same goes for police and Customs.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Carry a large dildo in your luggage. The entertainment value is priceless. (regardless of your gender)

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I'm curious, what is so bad about the body scanner?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:33 am I'm curious, what is so bad about the body scanner?
The people that sell the scanners, the authorities that want you to pass through the scanners and the people who work right next to the scanners all say that they are safe. Do you trust them? Screw that.

I always asked for the pat down. Privacy. And my witness, not their witness.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rooster69 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:50 am
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:33 am I'm curious, what is so bad about the body scanner?
The people that sell the scanners, the authorities that want you to pass through the scanners and the people who work right next to the scanners all say that they are safe. Do you trust them? Screw that.

I always asked for the pat down. Privacy. And my witness, not their witness.
Oh, I don't like them either. But if one is worried about inappropriate behaviour from CATSA agents -such as the topic starter-, demanding a pat down might not be the best choice either... At least the scanner is fairly "objective". And it doesn't touch you.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

CATSA (Canadian Aviation Tub Stackers Association) can ask you to prove you are working, such as asking to see a copy of your schedule or pairing. They don’t get to see what’s on your phone or iPad. Your either allowed to have it or not. It’s irrelevant what’s on it.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Can male CATSA employees search through attractive FA’s baggage and rifle through her undergarments?

Wow, I must ask what airport/s you've experienced these anomalies? I've been dealing with CATSA for about 10 years and the only issue I ever had with them was inconsistencies with how I should place my bags thru the belt. Never have myself or any of my crew or colleagues been exposed to this kind of questioning.

Have you documented and reported it to your company and CATSA? Not sure if there are any watchdog agencies that overlook these things but finding out might be a good idea.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Yeah I call BS this has happened to you unless you have been blatantly abusing aircrew screening, or live in a world where there are unicorns, mermaids and centaurs.

Troll thread? Likely ...

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Some of you have clearly never gone through the NPS in YQB.

Hopefully it has improved...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
drone_driver24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by drone_driver24 »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:54 pm Some of you have clearly never gone through the NPS in YQB.

Went thru there last fall. Female security lost her mind when my replacement hip set off the alarm.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

drone_driver24 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm
daedalusx wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:54 pm Some of you have clearly never gone through the NPS in YQB.

Went thru there last fall. Female security lost her mind when my replacement hip set off the alarm.
I think we’re way overdue for another case of “belt failure” :mrgreen:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

A CATSA guy in YYC just told me that the US uses xrays on their human scanners but that Canada does not. I think he lied to me but whatever.

There's one chick at the NPS in YYC that looooves hastling flight crew. I think it's her own little power trip. Haven't seen her in a couple months though.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

It's a backscatter x-ray machine. That's the whole point. I wouldn't listen to a glorified mall cop with a badge on his shoulder.

Return to “General Comments”