Rental Gear for a Bahamas Flight in a C-150

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Rental Gear for a Bahamas Flight in a C-150

Post by Dronepiper »

Hello!

I plan to fly a Cessna 150 from Florida to the Bahamas. I won’t be taking any passengers. I am fully aware of the risks, and the paperwork involved.

I am based near YYZ. Are there any stores near Toronto where I can rent some of the gear that I would require? I don’t really want to buy a bunch of stuff that I will only require once in my lifetime.

Or if there is someone you know who has the gear, I could pay them a rental fee (Few cases of Beer?). If for some reason I need to activate the equipment ( :shock: ), I would pay for the replacement of the equipment as such. PM me if you want.

Aviation Life Jacket
Personal Life Raft
Personal Spot Tracker/ELT
Water Survival Kit

Thanks! :)
---------- ADS -----------

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Rental Gear for a Bahamas Flight in a C-150

Post by FL_CH »

I rented all the equipment at Bayan FBO at KFXE when I flew. Cost like $30 US per day.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Nobody in toronto rents life rafts. I hired one from an outfit in Vancouver. A water survival kit will be packed inside the raft.If you can pick one up in the US you should definitely do that.

The other stuff is so cheap you can afford to buy it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Yeah, Banyan in Fort Lauderdale or APP Jet Center in Fort Pierce are your best bets. APP is a bit less on the rental rates. I ended up buying a PLB just because it can be used over land or water, hiking, skiing, etc...
What risks are there in taking a 150 over to the islands that any other single prop plane would face? Know of quite a few guys who have taken 150s over (and back) even with a passenger. The plane doesn't know it's going over water and if you can make it from Toronto to Florida, the last 100NM to 200NM will be just as easy. Just get up as high as you can before getting too far from Florida, pick a route that gets you close to land based on glide distance and don't forget to enjoy the views. The water colours just have to be visualized.

Return to “General Comments”